Celestial help and advice

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by DraugrOverlord54, May 1, 2019.

1. DraugrOverlord54 New Player

Going to roll a celestial toon soon and want some advice. I have been looking at their skills and love the idea of the combos and how they work which right away screams a pure might build. However I was wondering if anyone has had any success with a celestial precision build? Some of there skills seems like should work for that kind of build. Had thoughts of like a battlemage or even a paladin style of some sort but wanted some advice on what others thought.

I play casually with my family so I am not worried about running with the best of the best and pulling top numbers on the DPS charts or anything. Simply being able to enjoy the content and have fun playing the game is all I am wanting.
  2. Great Architect Loyal Player

My general advice is to practice, practice, practice the combos. The timing is easy once you get to know it, but finding the sweet spot takes trial and error (Death Mark and Blessing combos were particularly annoying for me). Also, practice the combos in each direction (so Divine Light into Plague AND Plague into Divine Light, for example) - for the simple reason that I found that I was timing the combo by the animations of my character, and it threw me when I started using "the other side", because the animations are different. I still have to stop and think with a Divine Light combo, which isn't ideal :D.

Second to that, if you intend to be clipping your combos, again, finding the sweet spot where you clip but keep the combo is key. I sorted this out by having the Combat tab open in the chat, which tells you when your Cleansed or Corrupted part of the combo has hit, at which point you can immediately clip safely. It doesn't take long to associate that with the sound effects and animations.

I've never run a Precision Celestial build yet (not since the combo powers all went over to Might), so I can't help you there, I'm afraid :(.
  3. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

Sounds like you are asking about battle healing? Doing damage while healing? The old Celestial guide has a section on that:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...-to-celestial-post-stats-revamp.289905/page-2

You can do a precision build as the guide recommends. Get all your healing and damage crits, then all the rest of your SP into precision. I would recommend Dual Wield into Bow flurry shot weapon combo for your damage. That way you can stay max range if you need to and still do good damage and heal.

The healing from McB and BcM was massively reduced after the stat revamp, so those aren't very useful anymore. Basic strategy is to pick some good healing powers and then go with a strong weapon choice.
  4. Great Architect Loyal Player

Unfortunately, that's out of date - newer Artifacts have made Celestial Battle Heals a completely different beast :(.

Battle Heal 2019 is, for me:-

Orb of Arion, Scrap of the Soul Cloak, Eye of Gemini.
    Loadout: Renew (c Curse, if needed for single-target burn), Curse (c Renew for mid-range heals), Plague c Divine Light (still not *that great*, but it does the job.), Life Drain (One of two 50% SC left to us - Cursed Idol deals no damage) for Eye activation, Wrath of the Presence c Consume Soul, Death Mark c Blessing (replace with straight Blessing if your Team is squishy).
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

Note that is Might Based. I'll test some Prec builds over the weekend and get back to you :).

Mods:-
    Weapon: Blast Adapter OR Replenishing Adapter.
    Head: Supercharged Life Drain.
    Neck: Escalating Might
    Back: Accelerated Death Mark (or Accelerated Blessing) or Accelerated Plague.
    Chest: Power Efficiency
    Legs: Restorative Wrath of the Presence
    Hands: Regenerative Shielding
    Feet: Explosive Block.
  6. DraugrOverlord54 New Player

Apologies for not clarifying what I was going to do. The original idea was to run as a battle healer I had found some posts talking about it but at the time was still deciding what I would do. I will admit however the healing system in DCUO always throws me depending on what power I look at. Celestial is one because of the talk of clipping the skills which yes I know is simply using the next skill once the other connects to the target without letting the full animation go off for the skill if I am understanding it correctly but overall the idea is something I struggle to wrap my head around to be honest. This would be my very first healer in DCUO so the general nuances of how healing works is also an unknown not sure if I want to assume it is like other MMOs considering the combat style in the game. Any and all help is appreciated.

For the weapon is there another option just as viable as DW and Bow? Was thinking maybe using one handed or maybe shield if they would be decent choices as well.
  7. Great Architect Loyal Player

I posted that part about clipping *if* you wished to do so :). It's not required in DPS, and it's certainly rarely required as Healer :).

The few panic moments that it is required as a Healer, you will naturally clip because you are pumping the button for that heal anyway :D.

If you are on EU server, let me know - this name here is not my Main, so send me a PM here and we can maybe talk directly. I'll be honest, though - getting people on the Forums to talk to me has been a waste of time, largely. If you want to talk in-game, please be willing to listen - that's all I ask of you.

DW-->Flurry is a Metagame choice for this DLC's Elite/Raids. It's not what is required of you. But it's necessary to understand *WHY* it is the Metagame choice. It's an extremely hard-hitting SINGLE TARGET loadout. It won't do you any good in any content that doesn't require that. By all means have that on one Armory *if that is the content you are running*, but your game against adds will suffer hugely.
    • Like x 1
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

I have been testing, however - and depending on what you are trying to achieve (fast Power regeneration, Knockbacks - both of which are important to Healers, or just fast damage) I would go with the following:-

Brawling and Martial Arts Weapon Mastery - to give you Enhanced Shuriken and Shuriken Storm Combos (Big damage, good Power Regen)
    Hand Blast to give you nothing more than Solar Flame and Pulse Beam (Fast Power Regen, acceptable damage)
  9. DraugrOverlord54 New Player

Thank you that was my fear that helps me feel better about healing now. :) I play on US servers on PS4 but anything you can give me here I will gladly read to better understand healing. I mainly play with my family but I will still run the random 4 and 8 mans so the more I know going in the better.

I have used hand blasters in the past on other toons and why it never occured to me before it was mentioned by Great Architect I've no clue. Are the WM combos worth using with hand blasters or would I be better sticking with pure hand blaster?

Big thank you to everyone for all this information it has been a big help.
  10. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

For pure healing, just handblasters solar flame is good for super charge regen and clipping. If you are healing random queue 8 man raids, then it's a good idea to have a pure healing load out and save your battle healing for 4 man alerts or family runs. With some practice you can try out battle healing in raids, but you probably want to know what you're doing first.
    For more damage, then WM combos are better than pure handblasters.
  11. DraugrOverlord54 New Player

Awesome I will go ahead and give hand blasters a try then. For the pure healing loadout i assume you mean a PFtT build?

Any recommendations of what are good healing power staples? Still learning the spells so I am a little unsure of different abbreviations for different spells.
  12. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

Yes, for pure healing choose super powered and PFtT. You can still do your handblasters solar flame for supercharge regen. I also use the replenish weapon adapter to add a little bit of power too. You can have an armory and respec your SP into hybrid for the battle healer load out with WM combos.
    For Celestial you have 2 main HoT staples that you can sometimes heal an entire raid with if your resto is high enough, AcB and CS. AcB is Admonish combo Blight that is an 8 man 6 second HoT, CS is Consume Soul a 16 ally 6 second HoT. I will usually clip solar flame with AcB clipped with CS, repeat. CS will heal pets and your NPC allies too. I always use Renew too when I see the tank or anyone's health take a big drop, as that is your priority heal. I use Divine Light for my entire group burst heal. The great think about Celestial is you can clip just about all the powers with each other. So you don't have to wait for any of the animations to finish if you need to heal quickly. You can clip everything with renew (assuming you don't have the orb artifact).
    The other 2 powers are sort of flexible, you could even swap out Divine Light with Guardian's Light if you like that better. The only thing I don't like about GL is you need to hold the power for the full time to get the full healing. You should use the empowered channeling hand mod too if you use GL to prevent you from getting interrupted while casting. I usually use the 4 man shield Blessing to help with pickups or objectives (turning cogs, moving stuff around). I use the Consecrated Ground super charge to block 70% of incoming damage.
  13. DraugrOverlord54 New Player

Sounds good thanks for the tips LeagueofV. You mentioned renew is good to clip except whem using orb artifact, is it because they clash with each other?
  14. Great Architect Loyal Player

It's because the Orb makes your Priority Heal cost 3x as much to cast, but has 300% of the Heals - basically if you keep clipping with Renew with the Orb equipped, you're going to empty your power bar :(. Most players using the Orb use a second Artifact to address the power cost - either the Demon's Fang or the Omegahedron. Note that the Demon's Fang is less useful if you are using HB Solar Flame rather than HB Pulse Beam - as Pulse Beam gets all 6 Power regeneration hits in very quickly.

I use (almost) the exact same loadout as LeagueOfV for pure Healing: -
    Renew (Priority Heal)
    Blessing (Shields me + the 3 lowest Health players - so everyone in an Alert)
    Divine Light (Massive group burst plus heal over time)

The last two I keep going constantly as they are the key heals over time: -
    Admonish (combo into Blight)
    Consume Soul (no combo)

The great thing about using Hand Blasters is that Solar Flame allows you to time your Heal over time powers - Admonish combo + Consume Soul + 1 Solar Flame ~= 6 seconds, which is how long the HoT lasts, so you hit that rotation again immediately.

Finally, the Supercharge: -

Consecrated Ground is a great debuff (70% of incoming damage mitigated), but it seems to work functionally similar to Circle of Protection (from the Sorcery power) - people have to be in it's AoE for it to work (so you often have to drop it over the boss) - and that AoE isn't very visible. Also it's a 100% SC cost.

I usually run Cursed Idol instead for general use - it's a 50% SC cost HoT, with a huge area - I just feel it has more general utility, but that's a personal choice.
    • Like x 1
  15. LadyPG New Player

The BEST Celestial Guide, and one of the most thoughtful, well-written, and detalied powerset guides is 'An Otherworldly Guide to Celestial', under 'Oracle's Guides'. The power costs are different now, post-stats revamp, but that author details the combos, both ways.