Bringing more people to subscribe for a membership (ideas)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ghaladh, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Many people complain about the lack of benefits of being a Premium member, others are calling for a stratification of Premium benefits compared to the amount of money spent (if I've spent 200$ on the game, I would like to have more benefits than those who spent 5$ once).

A premium member is not necessarily someone that gives a continuous contribution to the economy of the game, hence the best options would be to convince players to subscribe for a monthly fee. How can that be accomplished? I had a few ideas regarding this. Let me know what you think.

More levels of membership:

New kind of memberships could be created, to offer different benefits at a different cost. An example to illustrate what I mean (the monthly fee is arbitrary and used only to illustrate my idea):
    • Legendary membership: as it is now. 16$ per month.
    • Super membership: Access to all the DLC, but not to additional powers and weapons, that can be brought separately. 12$ per month.
    • Advanced membership: Access to all the DLC, but not to additional powers and weapons, that can be brought separately. Also same cash cap as Premium users and Premium queue to the game. 6$ per month
    • Premium membership: as it is now. At least 5$ invested in the game.

Modular membership:

Alternatively, without creating new layers of membership, a modular membership could be introduced.

At the moment of buying a membership you are asked to check the material you want unlocked for the duration of your membership. That will vary the monthly cost, due to the choices the player select.

Let's say that you don't care to have Quantum or to play Halls of Power nor Battle for Earth, or that you bought the Ultimate Edition (like me) or a whole DLC and you don't wish to pay for that content anymore.

When you buy your membership, you will see the monthly subscription fee reduced by the cost of the modules you will uncheck from the list. You could ideally have a monthly cost that ranges from 4$ per month to the full 16$.

While a full legendary membership will always grant you the access to the whole game, a modular membership would allow those player in a bad economic situation to enjoy the parts of the game they want to play at a reduced cost.
    • Like x 1
  2. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

That's to complicated they just need to lower legendary to 9.99 from 15 .00 and more people will sub up or maybe they could work out a deal with DC a sub for 15 gets legendary and a few digital comics a month
    • Like x 4
  3. Nicolas Gallardo Committed Player

Memberships are fine to me, it would be hard to adapt everything for new types of memberships.
  4. Circe New Player

This, I like this. And they need to fix the Lockboxes and make them desirable again. I don't even know how these people are getting Slim auras from Lockboxes, all of mine I bought off the Broker. And tired of Lockboxes dropping the same old base items over and over again. Boring.
    • Like x 3
  5. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

The point of this thread is letting DCUO having a steady income on top of what they already have. There is no warranty that lowering the monthly fee will induce people to subscribe, while it will certainly reduce the income coming from those who are already legendary members. My ideas, especially the one about the new kind of memberships, in my opinion would bring people that are not willing to pay 16$ per month to support the game economically.
  6. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

But if you toss a few DC digital comics in I can see that pulling in alot of people.
  7. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

This would be a great idea indeed, although many people are not actual comic book fans. Added value is a however another way to bring people into membership. It doesn't reduce the costs, however.
  8. YangZero New Player

This is what I've been thinking for years, just offer 1 price & make it able to stack up like a PlayStation Plus subscription does, & top of that allow legendary members to buy episodes, powers & movement modes a la carte as well since this one of the main reasons I don't subscribe (devs don't be afraid that players may drop subscription if this is possible please, being premium will still be nowhere near as good as being a subscriber), people can't always stay subscribed for a variety of real life reasons, not being able to play content because your subscription expired is frustrating so at least allow content to be bought on top of the subscription, the normalization of the subscription price will most probably bring a ton of subscribers in my opinion (I could be wrong though), all I know is that people again for a variety of real life reason can't just slap $120 yearly all the time (as incredible as it sounds), also allow players to buy subscription with marketplace cash since that will allow them to add $10(1000 MC) per month & when they get to $120(12000 MC) they can buy a 1 year subscription, the more options the better :).
  9. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

They honestly don't need to do anything to the subscription deal now that they've taken this new direction. The best way to play DCUO is to subscribe. End of story. It's very expensive to have a similar experience as a non-member and that should be the appeal to subscribe. 1 fee, exclusive perks, no hassle. That's the selling point. It needs nothing else. Let's not get too greedy, now.

If people aren't subscribing now and have no reason to subscribe, then they never will. So it's pointless trying to oppress everyone to sign up. Be thankful that they're playing because everyone playing has the potential to buy something to support the game.
  10. Derio 15000 Post Club

Thats funny, right now I have legendary and I only pay 9.99 a month, but then again I am on that super deal :D. It will come around again sometime this year.
  11. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

I didn't expect non-legendary members finding my ideas not interesting. I probably overestimated the general dissatisfaction regarding the Premiums benefits. I think it' a positive thing.