Blue Lanterns

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Flair, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Moneybags118 New Player

Lol sure :p
  2. Elusian Crowd Control

If you want diversity, you dont want another lantern powerset.
    • Like x 4
  3. Flair Well-Known Player

Kind of surprised a simple question got this many responses lol. Whether you like them or not, lanterns sure seem to generate as much emotion in the player base as their rings do in the comics.

Here's an idea that might make everyone happy (especially the devs since it would mean less work for them). What about just allowing hard light users to pick a color/corps? The powerset is hard light after all, not green/yellow light. Split them up so certain colors are certain factions (red/villains, blue/heros, ect.) Put in a dymanic with the War of the Light DLC that gives you the opportunity to change corps (maybe put in some cool comicy cut scenes with the ring you choose flying onto your finger and then the corps leader welcoming you.

The more I think about this, the more feasible it could be. It seems like the different corps will all be making an appearance throughout the 3 part DLC arc. They could give us a semi-new powerset by changing the colors, and then fill out the last tank role with Might & Mastery in the Amazon Rage arc.
  4. Moneybags118 New Player

I know that sounds like a great idea, but sadly it's not that simple. With the Blue and Red lanterns being the most different out of all the colors, it's not just a matter of re-skinning Green and Yellow. The restrictions are purely lore related, but they're restrictions none the less. For example, Blue lanterns can't make offensive constructs without a green lantern present, and one of their main abilities is that they can charge the rings of other colored lanterns past 100%, making them more powerful. Considering this it would probably be easier to build a powerset from the ground up rather than re color and modify an existing one. Another factor is that most red lanterns can't make constructs at all, they just kind of vomit red napalm-blood :p But this is actually changing a bit in the comics seeing as there's a new human red lantern who can make constructs. So out of the two, that would be the easiest one to modify lore wise.

Anyways, although it sounds like a great solution it wouldn't really work out. If they're going to make the next tank Blue and Red, which I believe they are, then they'll do it justice and work on it from the ground up. I think what people fail to realize is that Blue and Red are worlds apart from Green and Yellow. I was fascinated how when they officially announce Celestial all the devs had to do was confirm that it was much different from Sorc and everyone was on board. Not that I don't believe them, it's just that people think they have no creativity any more and are resorting to "copying" previous powersets. In another thread I made the point that just as Celestial is much different from Sorc, Blue and Red will be much different from Green and Yellow. Just because Sorc and Celestial are both magic powers, doesn't mean they're exactly the same. And just because they come out with two sets of lantern powers, doesn't mean they'll be copies of each other.
    • Like x 3
  5. BigBadRon Well-Known Player

I can say, with total confidence, that the next tank power set will be... bacon. Picture it now - you agro enemies by emitting a delightful bacon aroma, and protect yourself with a shell of crispy fried bacon.
    • Like x 5
  6. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

I'm calling for a nerf now. I found these pictures and they prove that bacon is way OP.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. Statman New Player

I'd respec to bacon every time I was hungry.
  8. Mr AFK New Player

Blue Flash! lol

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. Netherith Well-Known Player

It has been confirmed that the Blue Lantern Corps will appear in the future DLC War of Light (which will include a major overhaul of Metropolis with Lantern content (much like how Trigon DLC overhauls Gotham)) the other Corps will also appear (including Black Lanterns), however, no new lantern powers have been announced.
    So the group will be appearing but no power set (you have a blue light weapon set available right now anyway so its not all bad)
  10. razor Red New Player

Water is obviously the next tanking power.
  11. Owl Devoted Player

12. Tule New Player

Never give up hope, Blue Lantern Healers.

• Like x 1
  13. Flair Well-Known Player

Blue Lanterns can now use their powers without a green present.

The red blood thing would pose a problem though, but the animations for it are in the game now.
  14. N4TURALKILLER New Player

I want to see an origami powerset
  15. blklightning New Player

In latest news: Superman Wins FABULOUS Hula Hoop Contest!

16. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

I hate to argue (okay no I don't) but I disagree with some of your points here.

Will is not always easy to control, hence why not everybody is a Green Lantern.

As for controlling rage, it is not easy to do. Look at the red weapon pack. The weapons are all spiky and don't look much like a well-formed construct. In the cartoons, comics, and in game even, all red lantern attacks are more of explosions and vomiting, not many constructs. This is because rage is uncontrollable by definition.

As for the problem with blue lanterns not being able to operate at full capacity without a green lantern present, this is true. I do not find it difficult, however, to find some reason for this not to hold true for our players. With the extreme amount of green ring users in this game, it could be argued that there is such an extreme amount of willpower in the air that the blue lanterns are capable of tapping into the energy around them. I mean, in this game we have a lot more green lanterns than you would ever see in the comics, because it's a power that can be chosen.
  17. Cream Corn New Player

Everyone's not a green lantern because there's a finite number of rings and only those with the greatest will get them. Its the easiest to control that's why its at the center of the spectrum. Farther from center you get the harder it is to control. Indigo lanterns have zero control. In fact, if they lose the ring they lose all memory of their time with it.

Blue would be very difficult. How do you manage soloing as DPS without a green nearby. Its a solo... willpower In the air is just cheap. I'm sorry but it isn't the least bit creative. the creativity that created the spectrum is what some of us are trying to preserve.
  18. Cream Corn New Player

Also, you don't choose to be hard light. The story is that once you got the exobyte that's what power you had. The game let's you choose but in the story you began that way.
  19. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

I understand it would be a cheap explanation, but it's all I could come up with as a viable excuse right now. Maybe the devs will have a better excuse. Or maybe they'll just say "It's our game, our rules, deal with it."

Personally, the way I see it, with the increased number of green ring users in DCUO, I find it hard to believe that a green ring user WOULDN'T be nearby, even if they're not in your group or run.
  20. Cream Corn New Player

There won't bee any greens in solo instances. Like I said, they'd have to get really creative to preserve the lore and make it work in game. Its not their game. They take direction from DC comics. They have limited ability to do what they want and im sure everything has to be approved before it goes in.