Batwoman

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Why has no one brought up the fact that J.H. Williams and W. Haden Blackman (the writers of Batwoman) have resigned from DC Comics? Batwoman is one of my favorite series, and the way Williams and Blackman portrayed her character always left me feeling so attached. Kate Kane's constant inner battles to be herself and to stop blaming herself & her father for her mother's & sister's deaths are just so real and relevant to so many people today, and she's one of the few characters I could actually see living a real life in this real world. The illustrations in Batwoman are very unique to this specific character, and I just don't know how other future writers of the series will do in portraying all of this on the same levels as Williams and Blackman. I'm going to keep reading, of course, to see where Marc Andreyko takes it, I just really, really hope he does avid Batwoman readers justice.

That is all.
    • Like x 1
  2. LL New Player

Well they quit because DC refused to allow her to get married. Is what I read. Why as writers do you build a charcter only to have no progression or payoff? Those writers are good enough to get a more fulfilling job then just a paycheck.

It's really amazing how DC keeps losing talent over direction.
    • Like x 1
  3. Larfleeze New Player

It wasn't just the whole refusal of her marrying another female. That was just the straw that broke their backs. DC is notorious for last minute editorial changes and mandates. Hell, you know New52? That wasn't even a thing until about halfway through Flashpoint when word came down from on high that they needed to drastically mix things up.
  4. LL New Player

I get that. However they have been building this char for awhile, and for a reason. DC pulled it out from them all the while allowing them to build towards that.

It is what it is. I can see why they had enough.
    • Like x 2
  5. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I love how they didn't tell the writers Batwoman couldn't get married until Maggie finally said "yes". Now that's just torture. But I've read it's not because of the same-sex thing, it's just because they don't want any superheroes to ever get married, ever. Apparently. But still! Batwoman will never be the same! (Or at least not in my opinion.) I really, really, really hope the new writers don't severely screw this up. Batwoman is a character that so many people take seriously, and I just don't want her to lose those special qualities that Williams and Blackman portrayed that really made her who she is today.
  6. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

7. LL New Player

Well the new writers should not be held accountable too much...it's clear the editors have a say.

Pretty sure I remember a supes Lois marriage issue. I'm sure I prob own it, if it does exist.

Also I may be wrong but isn't Mera and Arthur married?

Barda and Miater Miracle...

Etc...
  8. LL New Player

I will admit I don't read regularly now.

However it has to be longer then 2...lol

I only buy comics now digital, and if they are 99 cents. I think paying the same price digital as you would for the real comic is a joke.

Plus I will never go back to real comics. I still have all my inventory from my store...:(
    I need to deal with that at some point.
  9. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I read most of my comics via .pdf form, but I really try to go to the store and buy them when I can. I'm kind of behind in a lot of them right now, though, because I like to wait until the volumes come out so I can read 7 at a time all at once versus only being able to read a single comic a month. Although I'm so invested in Suicide Squad and Batwoman that I'm seriously considering caving and just getting the digitals. I have a friend who's been lending me some of his older comics to hold me over until the next SS volume is published (which I think they said is supposed to be November, but I'm not sure).
    • Like x 1
  10. LL New Player

I'm a huge suicide squad fan...I'm talking way back, the comics that are in the 25 cent boxes...I have to say I hate the new squad. I hate it...lol..:)...big part is the goth hooker Harley which I'll never accept...what have they done to my sweet sweet Harley?...:)

King Shark was another unneeded change.

Oh and I want Fat Amanda Back. Why does every female in comics now have to be hot and thin?
    I liked or hated Amanda the way she was....she is not a likable character so why does she need to change body styles?
    • Like x 2
  11. Statman New Player

In all honesty, this news doesn't surprise me. DC Comics are quite the horrible company in my eyes, and it's actually pulling me away from American comics as a whole (I've been a massive - some would say obsessive - fan of Batman for many many years now). Dan Didio has actually now mentioned that Aquaman and Mera are not married either, to support the whole 'DC Comics does not approve of marriage between it's characters' phase they've decided to go through (this is something I've read, but I don't recall where the question was asked).

I knew DC Comics was off the rails, but they're starting to take it way too far. It's no wonder why I've started reading manga, lol.

If DC Comics were to lose sales so badly that Warner Bros started firing some of the DC Comics higher ups, I would not be bothered by that. DC Comics is a mess and it seriously needs some fixing. Retcons every 3 weeks (exaggeration) is just overly ridiculous.
  12. BlackWingBeyond Committed Player

I love their characters and story, but DC itself as a company seems to have their head up their ***. Remember when awhile Gail Simone was spontaneously fired? I don't know what they're thinking, driving off all this talent.
    • Like x 2
  13. Aridian New Player

Well, we'll have to reset the counter everyday, lol.
  14. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I don't mind Harley's look now, I mean yeah, it's kind of oversexualized, but at least it makes her look more human, and it adds on to her "origin" from when The Joker tossed her into the chemical bath to become more like him. Her new look is supposed to symbolize the breaking-away from Joker, as I know pretty much everyone would associate the jester costume with Joker and his goons. It's supposed to make her more independent, as her arc in Suicide Squad is meant to represent that, in my opinion.

Now, I agree with the Amanda Waller thing. She's just absolutely despicable, no matter how she looks. She will always be a giant pain in the ***.

(On a side note, did you hear that the writers of the new Harley Quinn series are holding a contest to have an unknown artist's work featured in Harley Quinn #0? The objective is that each artist that enters must draw Harley Quinn in 4 separate panels, each of which she is attempting suicide in 4 different ways. I bet they're all going to end up being dream sequences, or her split personality is telling her to do it, or something, but just the idea of Harley Quinn trying to kill herself kind of pisses me off. No one kills Harley Quinn, not even Harley herself!)
    • Like x 1
  15. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

It's now at 3, apparently DC hasn't done anything stupid in a few days :p Not since the Batwoman/Harley Quinn thing.
  16. DCFanatical Dedicated Player

Can someone please tell me what it is about super-heroes being married that is so wrong? This goes back to the travesty of storytelling that was "One Day More". For the life of me I can not understand what companies have against super-heroes being married, because whatever nonsense the companies spout about it making characters "unrelate-able" just isn't working for me.
    • Like x 2
  17. Aridian New Player

Is taht
    • Like x 1
  18. ZeroAccess New Player

Pixar was smart enough to allow super-hero's to marry. Heck look at The Incredibles...

and that movie rocked...
    Oh well
    • Like x 2
  19. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

PERFECT!
    • Like x 1
  20. Boscohark Well-Known Player

Some folks think that characters getting married stifles possible story arcs. But really that is just lazy thinking and actually such events opens up all sorts of possiblities. I am old school and loved the post crisis Superman who strove to be human and was defined not by his powers but by his relationships. The New %2 spin of him being the lobely alien, to me, just plain sucks.

I honetsly have not been up on the Batwoman comic since I have avoided most DC since the New 52 was started (since I think it was not neccesary) but I agree that such editorial decisions are just really bad news.

By the way. Does anybody think like I do that one of the reasons we have not seen Wally West in the new 52 is that he is DC's Get Out of Jail Free Cards that can allow them to re-set the continuity anytime they want? Just a thought I have had in my head since the whole thing began.
    • Like x 1