Base item limit and new dispenser amenity

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Knight Racer, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Knight Racer Well-Known Player

Before Mepps had left, about 3 months ago, he responded to someone else's thread about raising the base item limit , which is something that they were working on at the time. Usually every year it's raised by about a 100 items but since last year they skipped it. I was hoping they would raise it by two hundred this year forwarder bases like house of legends, manors and possibly league halls.

I also was hoping that someone would create this new base item dispenser amenity, which would allow you to just create any item you've already unlocked as many you would like similar to how the dispensor amenity now gives you all the orbitals and henchmen you've ever unlocked from events. This is something that I would actually pay for and see other people in the base design community would enjoy.
    • Like x 3
  2. Knight Racer Well-Known Player

The base item dispenser is not my idea. I just read it on the forum, thought it was really a good idea and wanted to include it.
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Base limit, fine...but might be some limitation on the system. I'd guess PS4 and the older Xbox versions start to choke at some point.

No way they make that dispenser. If all the push of recent years is to get people to run more content (free DLCs, unlimited loot in EEG), making it so you'd never need repeat item drops will put a huge dent in re-runs. People either farming the drops themselves, or to get the money to BUY the drops in the broker (especially seasonal runs) will drop off.
    • Like x 1
  4. Alushaun Well-Known Player

This really makes one think, just what is the limitation that DCUO seems to hit so easily regarding it's systems. Compared to other games.
    As it's been hitting some of the same limits over 5 consoles (PS3 > PS4 > PS5 > Xbox > Switch) and the highly capable PC market.
  5. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Unfortunately, the nature of this kind of game, being available on multiple systems, means that the high-end systems are going to be held back by the systems with the lowest specs, in order to keep the experience consistent across platforms. It's why PC gamers have always hated on consoles. PC elitists feel their games are being "held back" by having to be "dumbed down" for consoles.

I suppose they could make a more stripped-down version for the Switch, since the game doesn't seem to run as well there, but where you run into a problem is "beefing up" the PC version. First of all, the game as it is now runs fine on older hardware. My almost 15 year old Windows 7 laptop (not where I normally run the game, btw) runs it fine, with less lag than the Switch. If they make the game require more resources, they risk cutting out players who can't afford more powerful rigs.

But also, because PC and Playstation are grouped together on the same server, that means they're limited to whatever the PS4 can handle. High-end gaming PCs could probably handle us putting thousands of items in our bases, but PS4 clients would probably crash, or at best lag badly enough to make it borderline unplayable. If you've ever played Fallout 4 on console (especially XBox), think about how parts of downtown Boston have become unplayable ever since the Creation Club came out, adding new lootable items, new decorative items, new enemies, new interior cells that have entrance points downtown, and so on. Going through those areas on a decent PC may stutter a bit, if your specs are low enough, but on XBox, at least, it causes lags that can freeze the game for several minutes at a time, but usually just cause the whole game to crash. And that's a single-player game, running locally, off your hard drive/SSD.
    • Like x 1
  6. Alushaun Well-Known Player

Yeah all very true, and you reminded me that we heard a similar quote when the PS4 version was released.