Back In My Day...

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by myandria, Jul 5, 2023.

1. myandria Item Storage

As suggested in the General Forum, this thread is for our older (40yr old +) DCUO players to share their experiences, concerns, and overall view of playing video games (on any device). Please keep this thread fun, enlightening and respectful; if not, then "GET OFF OUR LAWN! Go to the backyard and play in the sandbox with the puppies!"
    • Like x 1
  2. myandria Item Storage

Ok so I'll start:

I am an older player (50+) and I started playing online games when they had no pictures; only text. They were called M.U.D.D.'s and I had to go to the internet cafes in order play. Back then, you had to pay by the hour unless you knew the employees; sometimes they let you have another 1/2 hour of time or so. I was playing console games before then (Atari, NES).
  3. FoolsFire Devoted Player

[IMG]
  4. Controller Devoted Player

This thread is going to be Pure Gold.
    • Like x 1
  5. Controller Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  6. Controller Devoted Player

7. myandria Item Storage

I found my husbands Commodore computer system in the garage in a box; I plan to see if it still works.
    • Like x 1
  8. Dene Devoted Player

First console we ever got as Kids was the ATARI 2600 - Space Invaders.. Missile Command.. Pacman.. Pele's Soccer.. good times lol

At a younger age, a friend had a TV that had games as part of it - the one we all played was pong lol
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ah, a thread for folks who know/knew the struggles of making sure your TV was on either channel 3 or 4 before trying to play any games. :D

Video games were always a strong part of my family and childhood. For us, it started with a multi-game system centered around Pong (think it was a Radio Shack version). From there, it progressed to the Atari 2600 (or VCS for the REALLY old school folks lol) and then to the ColecoVision system (the Atari adapter for that system was awesome). After that, it was the NES, and it was off to the races for me when it came to Nintendo consoles. I still have my GameCube, Wii, WiiU and have made the Switch. The only non-Nintendo console I have is a PS2. And of course, PCs for playing the MMOs I've engaged in as well as Half-Life 2 (MMOs being Star Wars Galaxies, DCUO, Champions Online, Clone Wars Adventures and a lilttle dabbling into the Wildstar beta).

The fun part was that it wasn't just me and my brothers who got into the gaming, my Mom also got hooked. She was a master at Video Pinball on the Atari, and the Zelda games were her jam as well. In fact, getting the second Zelda game on the NES was a memorable moment. My dad and brothers had gone out shopping around the holidays while Mom had stayed home. We got back and walked in to see Mom playing the brand new Zelda game! Before we even got a chance to recover from the shock of seeing it on the TV, Mom turns to us quickly and says in a very definitive tone "No one else gets to play it until I'm done!" LOL
    • Like x 2
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I remember this being the pinnacle of Atari games, namely because they gave Pitfall Harry hair.
    • Like x 1
  11. Controller Devoted Player

Video games were a necessary and fun part of my childhood. They kept my life balanced - in that I didn't get the time to spend too much outside - especially after nightfall.

Mom left early in the mornings for work and didn't oftentimes get home until early evening and I was left to look out for my brother and tend to the house - as well as keeping up with my schoolwork.

She noticed my love and interest in videogames and kept me up with most of the games and the latest consoles.

I'd oftentimes have friends over for wild video game sessions....they enjoyed the fun as well.

Looking back - less time outside - especially after nightfall - was GOOD, lol.

For my childhood it was Atari 2600, Colecovision, Commodore 64.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Not too much longer after I got my Colecovision console I joined the Navy - of course a little less time to play videogames but I learned quickly that MANY of my shipmates were gamers, too lol.

After I got acclimated to military life I got a Sega Dreamcast....a truly UNDERRATED console.

[IMG]

For THE LIFE OF ME - I cannot figure out why someone hasn't remade SKIES OF ARCADIA - a TRUE CLASSIC on the Dreamcast

[IMG]

I also had this classic on the Gamecube. It was called Skies of Arcadia Legends on that console.

The ABSOLUTELY BEST part of Skies of Arcadia was the SHIP to SHIP BATTLES....quite a remarkable and revolutionary system that I don't believe has been replicated since:(

[IMG]

You could add amazing and powerful defensive and offensive upgrades to your ship as well.

And the MOONSTONE cannon weapon was DEVASTATING....

An UNDERRATED mix of STRATEGY, RPG and STORYTELLING was Skies of Arcadia.
    • Like x 1
  12. Controller Devoted Player

I've had a PS2 and PS3, different XBOX versions and now I only play DCUO and perhaps a few other games like the classic Fallout series.

[IMG]
  13. Controller Devoted Player

Another UNDERRATED classic, on the N64 I believe - was Body Harvest

[IMG]

[IMG]

This one was a unique blend of Starship Troopers and Grand Theft Auto - in that the main foe(s) were giant insects from space and your MAIN weapons were vehicles, aircraft, water-borne craft and many other automated transportation methods.

You oftentimes did not venture very far without some sort of vehicular method or other form of transportation.