As a new player, the community makes me hate feat hunting

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Rami-El, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Rami-El New Player

I'm pretty new to the game, I just started playing for the first time ever back in April or May. So far, I love the game. In fact, I'm really disappointed I didn't get into it a lot sooner, even though I've known about the game since its release so many years ago. The levels of grinding are obviously still stuck in 2011 lol, but that's okay because once I commit to something, I don't mind grinding. The more SP I have, the stronger my character gets, and eventually the easier everything else becomes.

However, when it comes to raids, sometimes alerts, but especially older raids, I just hit a wall. For the past 2 weeks now, I've been running through mostly tier 1 content trying to complete old feats. I mostly do random queues, but sometimes I also attempt to join a league. When I queue and eventually get a group after maybe an hour, I ask if anyone is doing feats, say which feat I'm going for, and explain how to get the feat done if nobody minds helping. I kid you not, I've had people do the complete opposite of what's asked, both accidentally and intentionally. The intentional occurrences make me wanna stop playing altogether.

It would be one thing if I could consistently queue these instances back to back, but I can't. I have to wait an ungodly amount of time, try to coordinate with 7 other people, get to almost the end of a raid, and then for some odd reason have everything that could go wrong happen. I never wanna see a sunstone crystal or the inside of the FoS ever again.
    • Like x 13
  2. Skoll Well-Known Player

I don’t know why we can’t queue in with NPC iconic’s that will do mechanics and try to get feats this way. I get it is a MMO but it would still be a nice option, along with the fact you could hop on at anytime and immediately go feat hunting without spending half of your gaming time trying to get a group together. They already have something similar in the FP Duo with Cyborg and Flashpoint Batman doing some role-like things and I really have zero doubts even the jankiest of NPC A.I could be worse than your average player rubbing their 2 braincells together to try and figure out a mechanic that they’re told to do multiple times over.

I can’t remember the specific Atlantis raid but it was the final boss you had to not get hit by a specific attack that paints multiple big red arrows where the attack would be going and giving you a solid 3-5 seconds to move. Of course, 1 hour later on the same boss, there was always 1-2 people who just stood there. What a complete waste of time.
    • Like x 5
  3. inferno Loyal Player

Sadly, true. I don't comprehend the small-minded maliciousness of some people who actually find joy in purposely sabotaging somebody's feat. It's only a feat, in a game most of the entire population could probably care about.. but it's the behavior, you know?
    • Like x 4
  4. Rami-El New Player

I agree, having A.I teammates would nice for raids, even if you couldn't queue with a full team of them. I could see a balance of 4 real players and then the last 4 being subbed by A.I that fills specific roles. It might even make the queue times less painful.

Yeah, similar experiences in FoS1. I'm going for the Scorpions Don't Lay Eggs and Not a Dog Person feats, which in my opinion, are incredibly easy. I've told people several times that we have to break all the crystals that fall before they hatch into burrowers, and not to free Krypto from his mind control in the last boss fight. And those 2 battles being at the very tail end of the raid means I have to wait and see if there'll be any payoff for the time invested or not. It's awful.
    • Like x 1
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I don't know what to suggest, mate. maybe try find a few like-minded people & form your own feat-hunting group. put a shout-out on the forums for players who are interested. not sure which section that goes in, though. good luck.
    • Like x 1
  6. Gulrick TheWanderer Well-Known Player

Do not waste your time trying to attempt or explain feats if you randomly queue up. It’ll just fall on deaf ears. Infact whenever someone suggests to do a feat while I’m present, I’ll do the opposite for 2 reasons. 1. Its a huge waste of time explaining mechs to people that switched their roles accidentally and don’t know how to switch back, in other words “idiots”. And 2. I’m in a rush in a random q, and I refuse to grind to a halt for every group that wants a feat. It’s extra time for me and gain 0 benefit.
    • Like x 2
  7. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

This reminds me of EverQuest 2's "Mercenary" system, where you can even form a group with what is basically an Ally. You can "hire" one of any role and it counts as a player assisting you. Was extremely handy to fill an empty spot or help when you're solo.
    • Like x 3
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Because an AI is going to be smart enough to get all the feats, they can't even program them to run around objects

Just look at the ones we had in the Flashpoint duo - oh boy were they helpful.

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  9. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

We have similar in FF XIV. The only problem is if you get ko'd, they can't revive you and you have to start all over again. Most frustrating.
  10. Skoll Well-Known Player

Still would be less than painful than average pug feat runs lol. Even if you got roles then filled the rest with A.I’s that wouldn’t ruin the feat it would still be an improvement imo. It’s not hard to program them to block if boss does a skull or to turn a cog.
  11. Proxystar #Perception

That's fine, there was a level of sarcasm in my previous post.

But remember you're asking them to develop an entirely new system and spend the resources doing so, no matter how much merit it has I wouldn't be expecting something like that in the short term.

In the meantime if you're after EEG feats I'd really recommend not trying to just get them in random blind queues, because as evidenced in earlier posts in this thread, people are far more interested in their own loot and getting out of there as quickly as possible than helping you, whether or not you like that attitude its an attitude prevalent throughout much of the game.

You should use LFG to try and find like minded people who have the shared objective in mind or join a league, even if you join a league don't necessarily ask immediately, start building connections with the league, get what you can initially and put in time and effort building the relationship structure, then you'll find those people you've made friends with will be even more likely to help you out.

Don't expect any of this overnight.
  12. Wallachia Devoted Player

Feat hunting would be amazing if we could group together with our alts, but AI-controlled.
    • Like x 1
  13. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I remember when they first announced the Ally system, this is what I thought it would be instead of what we got.
    • Like x 4
  14. Hraesvelg Always Right

I don't usually go out of my way to bork a feat unless the person asking is absolutely obnoxious about it. On the other hand, unless I'm feeling especially generous with my time that day, I'm not going to go out of my way to do it, either. A lot of times, I'm in runs where tons of feats are raining down on the PUGs just because I'm generally running with a couple of other people that know what they're doing and a LOT of feats are just "follow the mechanics and don't stand in stupid stuff and die".

But yeah, I don't owe a rando my time. It's not an exaggeration that 98% of the people I Omni/rando queue into a group with I'll never see again, either in chats or in another instance. My regular running mates? Yeah, I'll do feats, because then I'll benefit from the increase in effectiveness they gain.
    • Like x 1
  15. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I think the ones on EQ2 could revive, but I don't remember how effective it was.
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah, pretty much this, you don't have to go out of your way to be a jerk, right. But it is fair to state that you might have gone on with your own objective which doesn't necessarily line up with wanting to sink time into getting some random person a feat.

That's the very reason the game has LFG and a league system in the first place so as to avoid the consequences of dealing with the varying dynamics and intents of individuals within a random encounter.
    • Like x 1
  17. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

You may want to check out the League Recruitment Center here in the forums; leagues will post there if they are looking for new members and give a short description of what type of league it is. Perhaps you can find a league that is into feat-hunting.
    • Like x 2
  18. Tolly Committed Player

I'll take advantage of this topic to mention one thing about some farm feats.

Back in the day, it was pretty easy to make feats that required a large amount of farming, for example, the reaper feat, the 666 demon feat, the 169 clown feat, etc. These feats should be lowered, because now, it's hard to find players who are motivated to complete them, I think that the numbers of this kind of feat should be lowered, because now, it's becoming difficult to find players motivated to complete them, either there are not enough people to make a group with this kind of objective, or people don't try to perform this kind of "chore" by bad memory, if I may say so ^^ and moreover, since the stat clamp, it doesn't help at all the new players for this kind of feat.

I think that the numbers of this kind of feat should be reviewed, either by lowering the number, or given as a gift feat on an up free character and I think that this should be reviewed in the episodes from 1 to 14, where it seems to me that we meet a lot of feat of this kind.
    • Like x 3
  19. Proxystar #Perception

This is a good idea really, the alternative of course is that they could run spotlights on some of this old content and double the credit, therefore drawing attention to the content periodically as well as effectively halving the feats or whatever bonus they want to offer.

I've suggested the same thing with PVP even in running spotlights on certain maps with bonuses.

They of course do the LPVE bonus weeks as well for similar reasons.
    • Like x 2
  20. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

The Scorpions Don't Lay Eggs feat is easier than it used to be. I believe they reduced the health of the eggs, or maybe we just hit harder now with the stats that bleed through, because I have seen this done in 2-3 random queues since the stat scaling was added. The Not a Dog Person feat is actually more difficult now than it used to be. I feel like splash damage releases Krypto easier now than it used to, so you may need a coordinated group with single target attacks and no pets now. I have yet to see a group achieve that one when it used to be the opposite where nearly every group before stat scaling defeated the boss without releasing Krypto.