Arrow Season 5

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Sep 21, 2016.

1. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Old news they was talking about that a month after she died
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  3. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

So far it's back to the same old boring arrow, the last minute was the only good part,
    It follows what the comic was zzzzz, do I buy the new issue or buy a Archie comic?
  4. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Is this a joke? It was bad enough to get Sarah back, but now Laurel is returning from the dead too? Or are they going with a "haha, she was alive all along!" BS story arc? Either way, I'm not happy about it at all. I loved the first two seasons of Arrow, but the last two was a bit... crap. Season five could be a return to form, in theory, but I guess only time will tell. Tobias Whale is fun and all, but he needs to do something fun to stand out from the crowd of gangsters on Arrow. Then again, is he confirmed to be one of the main villains through the whole season? I know there's another one too, and I suspect that's the real villain.

Get Archie vs Predator. Best crossover ever. Even better than Aliens vs Superman (which says a lot.)
  5. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

True. But not everyone keeps tabs on what is going on with the show or the new changes for the following season. Besides I think the WB / DC execs said screw it just let the DC CWverse be it's own thing. Let them have their own Black Canary, Suicide Squad, Superman, etc, and let the DC movies be it's own thing.
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Ding Ding Ding. Fatal pretty much summed up Arrow's plans to revitalize the show. By adding more iconic characters and bringing back some old faces. The real question is will the story / script be just as good....
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Bah, get "Archie Meets The Ramones"
  8. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

If the rumors of Laurel returning are true, it's pretty much the death of the show for my part. I might continue to watch it, but only in a vague hope that it can eventually return to form. Hey, that's why I watched Big Bang Theory season 3 - 6. :p But think about it. First Sarah died. That was huge. Not just big, but HUGE. She had only been on the show a short while, but she still managed to become one of the most important characters for a lot of reasons. She's Laurel's sister and Quentin's daughter, as well as Oliver's not-quite-girlfriend. But she was also the Black Canary, our first non-Team Arrow member of Team Arrow. (Meaning she came into the show late, and was a vigilante before she joined Ollie.) On top of that, she was also a connection to Ras Al Ghul and the League of Assassins. And yet, she died. That was HUGE.

Then Laurel decided to pick up the mantle and become the next Black Canary. While I did start to like her as BC, I can't help shake the feeling it underminded Sarah's death. Sarah is gone, but we have a new Black Canary now. Sarah wasn't as necessary as she used to be anymore, and her death was somewhat meaningless. I did like the story-reason why Laurel became the Black Canary, but it seems too much like Sarah is forgotten. This is especially noticable in the latest episode, with the Black Canary statue - of Laurel, not Sarah.

If that wasn't bad enough, they decided to bring Sarah back to life again. WTF? While I do love having her on Legends of Tomorrow (and woud love if she returned to Star City), it was the final drop that made her death completely pointless. Not only that, but it makes every death pointless. Since she came back from the dead, anyone can come back from the dead. That means it doesn't matter if someone dies. If the producers want them back later, they'll find a way to get them back. So when Laurel died, it made fo a great scene, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it should have been. I mean, Sarah died and came back. Why shouldn't Laurel also find her way back? Aaaaand... yet, she does. Two dead, both returned to life. WTF?

On top of that, there's the third Black Canary. We only saw her in one episode, but I'm 99% sure we'll see her again in this season on Ollie's new team. But what's the point? We've already lost two Black Canaries, and both came back to life. So will Laurel replace the new one? Will we get yet another color? We have Black Canary and White Canary, so... Yellow Canary? Green Canary? Rainbow Canary? :p

At least Sarah's death meant Laurel could become the Black Canary, and she finally had something fun to do on the show. But first bringing back Sarah, and then killing Lauren and bringing her back is just... meh. The worst part is Sarah was brought back with the Lazarus Pit, which makes some sort of sense. But having a season "grounded in reality" and still bringing Laurel back from the dead - without the Lazarus pits? How? If they try the "she wasn't dead after all", I'm not going to watch anymore. The ONLY thing I can think of that would make sense to bring her back is the flashpoint from Flash, but even that is questionable.
    • Like x 1
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I understand how you feel but that's comic book logic. Characters can die and be brought back or reimagined. The only difference is the CWverse is adapting some of the DC lore and making it into it's own thing.

Sarahs death was a big wtf moment but comic fans always knew she would eventually have to make way for Dinah Laurel Lance to become Black Canary which happened but the biggest shock was killing Black Canary / Laurel and then the most disgraceful snub to comic fans was Laurel on her supposed deathbed telling Oliver that his happiness was with Felicity.

As for the girl who stole Black Canary's outfit and used it for one episode, she will return but will become Artemis from Young Justice fame.

And yes Flashpoint will affect all the DC CW shows. Because the new Black Archer that was shown before the credits will be someone if the rumors are true from way back since season 1
  10. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Sorry, but I disagree. I hear the "it's based on a comic" all the time, both for tv-series and movies, but I don't think it's a good excuse. Or to be precise, this isn't the comic book universe. It's based on it, but it's very much its own thing. I think the show is by far the best when they get inspired by the comic books, but don't simply copy them. Take Flash, for instance. There is a character called Cisco in the comics, but he's nothing like Cisco on The Flash. And sure, both have powers. But does tv-Cisco need to become Vibe? Isn't it enough that he stays the way he is? He already has some powers (or does he, after the flashpoint?), but does he need to evolve into a real superhero? And what about Caitlin? I really like her, and giving her some of the Killer Frost-powers could be cool. But turning her into a villain, just because she's a villain in the comics? I'd rather they didn't.

So as for Arrow, I still think Sarah was the one and only Black Canary. Again, I understand why Laurel picked up the costume to honor her sister, but by doing so, I also think it made Sarah's death meaningless. Bringing her back was even dumber. Tommy? Dead, and has stayed dead. Ollie's parents are both dead, and they seem to stay that way. Diggle's brother? Dead. Amanda Waller? Dead. Even Thea died. I actually forgot about that. :p But bringing her back through the Lazaraus Pits worked, as she was recently dead. But Sarah had been dead for months, yet she came back through the pits. But that was also the last time the pits could be used to bring someone back. Pretty sure they were clear about that. But if Laurel now suddenly pops up alive and well, it will ruin everything. Who else can return? I've read the rumors of Tommy being the villain this season, but I really, really hope he's not. I mean, if he is, we have two characters returning to life for no reason other than shock value in one season. That's too many. The shock value won't last long, but the side effect is it makes all deaths on the show meaningless. And if even death is meaningless, there's no real sense of danger anymore. And if you remove the sense of danger, what's the point in watching? That was actually one reason why I was super-excited for season 2. Tommy was a main character in season 1, and he actually died. And because he died, anyone else could die, too. That gave the whole series a great sense of danger. Sure they will be ok most of the time... but not always. So every time they went out on a mission, we knew it was possible for someone important to die. But now that they've removed that, it's getting boring. "Ah, sh... Thea got shot in the face with a bazooka!" "Relax, she'll be fine." "Her head blew up!" "Details." :p

That's why I prefer if people stay dead, unless there's a VERY good reason why they return. I don't care if it's based on a comic book. Wolverine died, and he's not coming back. We actually have a new Wolverine now. Thor became unworthy of the hammer, but instead of a quick fix, they let someone else pick up the hammer and become a new Thor. The old one is now simply called Odinson. (so he's not "dead" dead, but he's not Thor anymore.) They are launching a new Hulk-series later this year, but with She-Hulk rather than the old one. True, they can still reset things and bring the old ones back, but they don't have to. Dead is sometimes dead, even in comics. And because of that, the stories takes on a whole new level of interesting. Even Supergirl died, and stayed dead for a long time. :) Batgirl? Shot in the back, paralyzed, sat in a wheelchair for years. Again, she wasn't "dead" dead, but the attack had severe consequenses that lastest many years. So why can't tv-series do the same? Why can they justify bringing people back from the dead by saying it's based on a comic book?
  11. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I loved the premiere.... literally made my jaw drop from how "back to basics" it felt. I have high hopes for this season and think it'll bounce back.
    • Like x 1
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Forgot to comment on the previous episodes

What was that flashback in episode two supposed to prove? That he was going to kill the two who didn't ring his bell? :eek:

First three minutes of episode three has shown us how the real War on Drugs should be fought: while you may be aiming for the Big Sneeze, you still take out the low levels along the way, you do not make deals with them, and you certainly as Hael do not let them back on the streets. In the time it takes you to (very very slowly) move up the ranks to get Big Sneezy, that low level you let back on the streets has been distributing more and more of the drugs you are claiming to want to stop

Wow! Did we really see he 'birth' of the ArrowJoker? o_O Can we get any closer to Batman than this? :confused:
    Wait, he's the new Grundy?

Johnny boy did have to pull that trigger: his brother threatened his family, told him to his face what he would do as soon as he got away

At least that ex-cop went for a head shot :(

Something tells me that Lyla found something out about what is going to happen to Johnny, otherwise she wouldn't ask Oxenfree to break him out

Surprised the Anti-Flicka Squad hasn't started up with the cheers and crap
    • Like x 1
  13. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Falicitho
    Ollie - soul mate
    Ray - soul mate
    Ollie - soul mate
    Doing some detective possible new "soul mate"
    Knew a girl like that , she is still collecting "souls" lol
  14. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Ok, I admit this season is not bad so far but some news. Looks like Talia Al Ghul will be making her appearance. Actress Lexa Doig has been cast.
    [IMG]

Though I keep thinking in my head...

[IMG]
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

This new cop is a bad guy though, so that's all good
  16. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

But... why? They already did the whole Ra's Al Ghul thing, complete with Oliver joining the League of Assassins, Thea and Sarah both using the Lazarus Pits, and Malcolm becoming the new Ra's Al Ghul. And through all of that, there were no sign of Talia anywhere. So why bring her in now? What can she add to the show that they haven't already done? The only thing I can possibly think of is Damian Wa... I mean Damian Queen, but they already did that, too. Or did the flashpoint somehow make Talia the one and only Ra's Al Ghul all along? My head hurts a bit now. :p

As for what they can steal from Batman next, that's easy enough. What about the Arrowcar? :D And with Deadshot returning to Arrow, maybe they can somehow bring Harley back as well? Not likely, but here's hoping. It's not like they can make a worse version of her than Suicide Squad. Plus, the main reason why Arrow couldn't use her was because Suicide Squad, but they did bring Superman into the Supergirl-series. Or give Oliver a butler. That works too. :D
  17. Fearlantern77 Well-Known Player

The actress that plays Nyssa al ghul on a another show and had scheduling issues, and Talia was in Legends of Tomorrow 1st season ep Left Behind so I guess that decided to go with her character instead and flush out her involvement.
  18. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Still doesn't answer the question why now? That storyline is over. Of all the possible characters they can bring to the show, why her?
  19. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

People are saying Prometheus is Tommy Merlyn, I really hope hot to be honest.
  20. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

"People" are saying a lot of stuff. So far, Prometheus is confirmed to be Tommy Merlyn, Malcolm Merlyn, Talia Ah Ghul, Nyssa Al Ghul (who was changed after Flashpoint and in need of something to do), Oliver's dad, Oliver's mom, Thea, Diggle, Diggle's brother, or even Leonard Snart, among others. All confirmed according to "people". Not something I'd pay too much attention to. I know the actress who plays Nyssa has other things to do, but that doesn't mean she can't show up as a guest character when Prometheus is eventually unmasked. And as for Snart, he's confirmed to be recurring on all the CW shows, but in what shape and form? :)