Ain't Your Ally

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Saturn Girl, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Well since PvP is dead, we can go ahead and reverse that change now
    • Like x 1
  2. Saturn Girl Committed Player

I have to mention that, Now in the game, Whoever wants can toggle the PvP mood.
    If they toggle PvP whenever they want there is no reason for them to tell bad sentences to each other, when they get killed by an enemy player, that's their fault that they hadn't good PvP gears and won't say anything bad, if they don't want to lose get back to PvE mood.
    And now we already can talk to the Different Affiliations by "Say, Shout, And..."
    "Tell" must be able to use for far distance and spaces.
  3. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

I'm not against the idea. I'm just trying to tell you the historical reason. I don't need to buy the concept. But just login to Metropolis and reading the Shout that exist in the Hero faction alone, the chat is toxic enough already.
    • Like x 2
  4. Saturn Girl Committed Player

I realize what you mean.
    You're almost right.
    But I personally think that kind of people who are rude and toxin are rare.
    I'm usually much lazy to go to Gotham or Metropolis to do anything after reaching the level 30.
    But obviously I've been through Metropolis because of the event and hear this from me, That I personally haven't read anything bad in the chat, they use the shout usually for requesting for bounties and talking about their sites. And if someone types a bad thing, that automatically gets c e n s o r e d.
    I just mean that there's thankfully not much toxin players who use bad sentences unless they are crazy.
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can't really agree. I'm no precious fragile little snowflake who can't handle a bad word or two by any means, and in my time playing MMOs over the years I've seen my fair share of smack talk both in general and directed at me. I played on the Bloodfin server in SWG which was considered one of the unofficial PvP servers, and the lengths some players would go to in order to provoke someone else into flagging themselves for PvP ranged from funny to ridiculous. More often than not I found it ridiculous because it'd usually end up with multiple players from another faction trying to get me to flag myself for PvP even though I was the only one from my faction in the area. :rolleyes:

But with this game? I've resorted to just creating a chat channel that blocks out just about everything just to have a little peace and quiet I can retreat to, and it doesn't take long at all for me to have to switch over to that chat channel when I happen to venture out into the open world areas. The amount of bile, venom and disrespect that gets thrown around in shout chat in the open world cities is something that, by all rights, people should be ashamed of, and that's among people of the same faction. And with the amount of that bile, venom and disrespect that shows up after duels in locations like the Watchtower, I can't see things getting any better with opening up faction chat because folks can and will take faction fights WAY more seriously.
    • Like x 1
  6. Saturn Girl Committed Player

You're not wrong.
    But you're not right too.

I'm gonna again mention that don't miss the fact of this thread.

But as just an answer, I say that, there are many ways to talk to a person in DCUO, "Say, Shout, Tell, Voice Channel and... "
    For just an example, When I switch my Villain Character and get close to a Hero in a town like Metropolis (Public) I can talk to that, and if I be in the Hall of Doom, I still can invite that to a Voice Channel and talk to that, But sometimes people don't know why they are invited to the chat suddenly and they reject it, (I personally don't join any Voice Channel because of its annoying voices), And actually if you need to tell that person something needed and important, you get in trouble, I'm trying to say that "Tell" option is not different of other chats, For just an example if I be crazy to decide to say a terrible sentence, I can just invite that person to the channel then tell that, Look, No Difference.
    The fact you are meaning is not only about different factions, when players duel, they send a request, and both sides accept start the duel if they understand what "Losing & Winning " mean, and if they keep saying Bad Sentences, I should say that, This is not about different factions, Heroes tell Bad Things to Heroes and Villains tell Bad Things to Villains too. And you know that for dueling you have to be close, so if Villain duels with Hero, one of them can use the "Shout" too say rude things.
    I only think that this is a typical reason (Because of PvP mood and Dueling) that Heroes and Villains can't use the "Tell" option.

"Tell" Option between Heroes & Villains has no difference between Heroes & Heroes and Villains & Villains, Even players from same factions do tell bad things to each other if they decide to.

If you Can't really agree, Okay Don't, I don't wanna keep talking about this none-sense reason, If someone be a crazy or rude person always can say rude words not only after dueling or anything like that.
  7. myandria Item Storage

Well...

It would be nice if DCUO had a Hero/Villain hangout/mission area that players could utilize, like COH/COV had with Pocket D. *Sigh* I really miss Pocket D.
    • Like x 1
  8. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Sorry but there was nothing wise about restricting tells from both factions imo.
  9. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

The amount of players I have in the Ignore List just because of the chat are far greater than the Gold Spamers in my ignore list (and that's a lot), just ignoring people from shouting things or sending me direct messages in Metro and Gotham.

Maybe my level of tolerance to deal with ignorant chat messages (just to put some polite adjectives to it) have gone thinner in the last 5+ years playing DCUO.

If eventually the option to be able to send/receive tells from cross faction is allowed in the game, I want an option in my Game Settings to disable that. If eventually allowed, I want a "Ignore Cross Faction Tells" and "Ignore Cross Faction Shouts". Fair is fair.

Edit: And I just log off from the game doing the open world Christmas event and I'm starting to hate Metropolis again.
  10. Fed up player #10 Well-Known Player

Maybe its time for the whole faction thing to go away completely and just let all of us run together all the time. Most of the new content has had us running around each other without any major issues that i know off. Should be able to talk back and forth, invite to groups and everything. Only major issue would be a lot of names would need changed, Not really a problem since they had a similar issue with the PS/PC merge.
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Keep in mind that the statement I made is coming from a SWG vet, where cross faction communication was allowed. When I first started this game I thought it was a little odd that there wasn't the ability to communicate between heroes and villains. But the more I see the levels (or lack) of maturity being exhibited in shout chat, the more I think the devs went the right path.
  12. Saturn Girl Committed Player

That's nice.
  13. Kestral Committed Player

Not really rare at all. I don't keep the profanity filter on in this game and Metropolis shout is just usually full of...well a lot of people to add to your ignore list. While Gotham is pretty quiet in shout.

However I don't think your likely to find more toxic players in one faction over the other though. Players with alts will tend to have some in both factions I would think.
    Plus you can raid with both factions and it's frustrating to be prevented from sending tells to group members.
    • Like x 2
  14. Saturn Girl Committed Player

You're right.
    But I Personally haven't heard anything rude from anyone in DCUO after years playing except 2 times.
    First time a person has wanted to scrim but I have been rejecting his requests cause I knew I'm weaker than him too much at PvP, and he's told me something not good.
    And
    Second time, not another player, I've become too much angry myself in a Legend PvP a few days ago after getting killed by a group that was all 4 Catwomen, and I've told them something not good. :confused::confused::confused:

I again say Personally.

And yeah that's right, or maybe was right, Gotham has always been so nice and quiet but obviously this year, Metropolis is quieter than Gotham, I haven't even seen one message in Metropolis's Chat this month that I've been into Metropolis Because of the Winter Event.:D
  15. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

If your getting insulted from a opposite faction, you can just use the ignore button and you can't see they text, there is really no excuse to penalize players who just want to communicate to opposite factions for different reasons, and I notice this game has a pattern of doing this.
    • Like x 1
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well first off, this has been in place since the game began, so it's not like we had the ability to freely communicate and it was suddenly taken away. It's a little tough to consider it a penalty of some kind when it's been a part of the game from the start. ;)

Beyond that? I've seen it time and again, in this game and in others, that if players can't play nice the devs have to step in. If players can't play nice with the toys, the toys causing the problem get taken away, and so on. So it's not all that surprising that if the devs saw early on that players of opposing factions couldn't play nice together in chat, they decided to separate them. That'd be my best guess on it, anyhow.

Is it fair to those who would play nice? Not really, no, but that's what the devs decided. And if we can't even show that we can play nice with the folks on our own side on a regular or even semi-consistent basis, I don't see the devs being all the inclined to open things up.
  17. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

I agree with the penalize, should've used another word, and the thing is people can be jerks/a**holes you name it, but making decisions like they do and having that mentality that if most of the community toxic than everyone must pay, it's driving off the good people and keeping the bad, so in that sense, the devs are suppose to be the police of their game, and find better ways of dealing with mass toxicity, we are suppose to be thinking of new ways to handle problems not remain a belief of the primitive old ways.
  18. Controller Devoted Player

No thanks.

They fight among themselves AND they don't flush or wash their hands.:D:)

Why would I want to communicate with them?
    • Like x 1
  19. MastaMind Dedicated Player

I think that it is a very annoying and pointless feature for a number of reasons.

1. This game is based on the DC Universe. How many characters from that universe have swapped sides? Tons. Go and pick up some of the more current comics and you will see Lex Luthor was a part of the Justice League until the Rebirth happened, and even then he is still for the most part a good guy. Even Deathstroke is a hero at the moment in comics. Very, very, very few characters have stayed true to a single faction the entire time. Just look at the recent DLC content, and even the villains in this game are basically being heroes. Our role in every DLC I have played was the exact same of the heroes. What is the real difference in the two factions? Our "mentors" and the earlier missions are about the only thing outside of our hang-outs. As of this newest DLC we even share a spawn point with heroes.

2. As far as the whole "chat is toxic" argument goes. That is not going to change without moderation being put into place. Regardless of faction there will typically be people bickering about any and everywhere imaginable. So if it is already something we are dealing with what does it matter? Some people are going to spend their time on the game spamming chat channels/shouts to death. That is why we were given an ignore button.

3. The same thing above can be said about the PVP argument. If someone really wants to spread some hate over a PVP match they very well can. I am terrible at PVP. No secret there. I've never much bothered with it aside from cheating a few feats out of it. Eventually I will farm the rest, but that will be once I absolutely have no other option to progress. Even with my little bit of dabbling I've had heroes bypass the system to chew me out. I've had one just simply switch to a villain character and spam LFG with how I'm a molester & everyone should add me to ignore over an LPVE run where the entire team decided to kick them (And I was deemed the enemy for trying to communicate with them). I've also received emails from people crying about a PVP loss telling me how I only won because I was using Catwoman. The funny part was that I was not even the Catwoman user, and his/her team of 4 had TWO people using that character. So in reality if people want to trash talk they are going to find a way. Granted that most people don't have to see it this way, but I still don't feel like that justifies the refusal of cross faction communication.

4. It is just a stupid concept. There are very few battles within comic books that don't have witty banter during a battle. They also very often communicate even if it is just a hero begging for the villains to listen to reason, or to coordinate against a bigger enemy (Which is the logic behind us having the same missions/objectives, right?).

5. The current state of the game justifies it entirely. If the population is lower then uniting the two should make more sense. Queues are taking ages even for some of the new content, and cross faction LFG would make more sense.

There are many more but I'm going to go smoke cigarettes and I don't really care enough to keep writing. It is dumb but who cares.
    • Like x 1