AFK alt farming

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Zamara, May 14, 2019.

1. Zamara Dedicated Player

AFK farming is a thing that has been going on for a while and at this point i think nothing can or will be done about it or at least it won't be any time soon.
    But this post isn't about that it's about a different thing that's kind of related to that.
    Since this event started I've been seeing a lot of players queue with two of their alts on a premade group so they both get put in the same instance this way even if the other group members try to kick one of them they see who did it, they can try and vote against it or even argue that is an AFK friend (who mysteriously comes back as soon as the instance is done??) and if they get away with it they ran 2 alts at once "saving" them time and getting the double of drops by just doing the "effort" of running one character.

Now i know this might get asked so i'm just going to answer here, why do i think they're the same person?
    1) Most common thing is when the instance ends one of them stays there standing while the other rushes to the exit as soon as the scorecard pops and then as soon as the other goes through the exit portal the 2nd alt that was standing still rushes to leave.
    2) Only one of them moves during the whole fight. Or they take turns and move only one character at a time, they switch from one to the other and if you observe them it's pretty obvious.
    3) They both are in the same league, probably to get that precious extra 1 prestige too?
    4) One of them most of the times has a name that almost looks like those gold seller bots, names so badly spelled that you don't even care about if they get lost, or just really obvious alt names like PSBankCharacterNo3, StorageGuyPC4 or something along those lines.
    5) Like some of the people who did the AFK farming they'll make anything to make sure the other character stays alive, from smashing a healing barrel on their alt to dropping a supply on them. I've seen some take their alt to the sky as far as they can from the fight and then they switch back to the alt they're playing as.

Now to the point of this thread, if you want to run 2 alts at once on a duo, who cares, it's a duo and you're only affecting yourself in the end but events, they are normally an alert, which is meant to be run by 4 people, want to run it with your alts because you got no time? go ahead and queue 4 of them at once and solo it, see how it goes.
    But when you're queueing as half of a group you're forcing 2 people to carry your alt through it, as good as you may think you are, you are putting extra weight on the rest of the group who also have to do extra stuff it's not just you the one who has to compensate for that missing person it's everyone, the 4th guy your alt is replacing could've been releasing the gas or picking a teammate up or doing a support role or you know, actually helping the group.

I may have repeated some parts and may have extended it more than necessary but this also worked as a rant for me so sorry about that, but was just trying to bring this up to the community as this kind of behavior does definitely sound as something that would definitely go against the TOS.
    • Like x 2
  2. Knarlydude Loyal Player

You can do something.
    1. Take a video or some screenshots
    2. /report name and brief message of what they are doing
    3. Fill out a support ticket.
    4. Add offending player as friend and see if they keep logging on after your report.
    If they do not log in then you helped get rid of these bots and or freeloaders trying to game the system.
    • Like x 3
  3. Schimaera Devoted Player

Have you read them or do you just feel like it might be against the ToS?
    Because it nowhere states that one individual is only allowed to have one single account.

Then again, this thread is about a perspective that shows how it is not fair that some players do not participate. And I agree.
    On the other hand I barely notice anyone around me in a seasonal instance since it can be soloed ^^
    • Like x 1
  4. Zamara Dedicated Player

I know, i used to do that, but just for today i'd have to fill 4 tickets, had days where out of 7 runs i'd see 6 players go AFK, use at least 10 minutes per player for those 6 i'd have spent an hour filling reports and uploading clips and they're probably getting a week ban at most. Or they'll make a new account if they lose that one.
    • Like x 1
  5. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Put them all on the same ticket and save some time. The devs do not seem to mind. I combine and also add to existing tickets with new offenders.

I'll keep the support ticket open in the background if I keep running into issues. I just keep on adding to the list if there are a bunch of fools doing the same thing.

That reminds me and TY. I need to add the support link back on my bookmarks bar. LOL I just wiped my PC and reinstalled most of my stuff.
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

I run in to this issue with the stabilizer event a bit, but honestly I've very rarely seen this in the first 15 days of the spring event at all, so although I'm not discrediting your viewpoint based on my own experience I'd have to say it feels like you're exaggerating because I run this around 15 times a day.
    • Like x 2
  7. Zamara Dedicated Player

I said it sounded like it'd be against them as in other games running multiple accounts at the same time to get double the rewards is against their TOS. It has been a while since i read the ones for this game though so can't be really sure.
    And btw yes having multiple accounts is ok, it has been said by the devs but that's all they've said, we may have more than one and that's fine with them.
    I went to read the TOS that are linked in the bottom of the page to see if i could find anything, in the cheating section it says
    It doesn't explicit say it but this could as well qualify as a form of cheating as it gives those players advantage over the rest.
  8. Zamara Dedicated Player

I may be lucky and get them all, who knows :( but to be fair I've had good days where i have smooth runs only and where everyone participates too, but it has been really bad these last few days.
    • Like x 1
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah, you must have some serious bad luck in getting in to runs with thse AFK'ers
  10. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

They are NUTS lol but it may be some truth to that even in event alerts .I've seen folks que up in some will sit there while me and someone eles will vote to kick them and someome will keep on fighting and just REFUSE To kick .

We are like um aren't you gonna kick this player who is just standing there .I know they see the text chat box of us saying kick the clown but they keep pew pew fighting.
  11. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

Sounds like something that takes way too much effort to even want to do. Some people really are ridiculous
    • Like x 2
  12. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

lol this cant be happening to you thaaaaaaaat much :confused:. ..issa event:rolleyes: ..trivial af, but ok buddy you get those guys shame on them
    • Like x 1
  13. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i often won't vote while in a fight, you know? for concentration. i also maintain radio silence UNLESS the player/s do something so mindless i HAVE to correct them. even then i warn/correct them after or just before a fight/problem area.
  14. Hraesvelg Always Right

I've had individuals go AFK in the stabilizer (I have lots of time on my hand when I game, usually...current personal best is 67 minutes before they left) but I've never seen it in an event run. Usually average about 6-7 runs a day on alts when the seasonals are up.
  15. Zamara Dedicated Player

This is kind of contradictory but when i was playing on PC I would always get paired with someone who was afk in the stabilizer duo long enough to just rush in when the boss spawned and get a hit in, so when i finally got back to my old PS4 account and i realized i could just log into both at once and queue up for it on my own i decided that if someone is going to be afk during every stabilizer run and take free loot from me it'd be no one else but me.

I think by now we could agree that the stabilizer instance should have been a solo from the beginning and those poeple that go afk and leave their alts in the entrance would be forced to run every instance they queue onto if it was made a solo.

I'm starting to think the time of the day i run the seasonals has something to do with it, i ran it today around 9 am my time and had 0 issues through all the 7 characters but last night i started around 11pm and well, had enough of them to come here and make a thread. Might just have to run them early in the day and see if that at least keeps me from finding those kind of people.
    • Like x 3
  16. Shattered Psychosis Well-Known Player

Giving players an advantage over the rest isn't cheating. Using the software etc. to do that qualifies it as cheating. Running multiple toons on the same account gives a player an advantage on farming seasonal feats. Having a high paying job or stolen money to throw $300+ monthly to the game gives an advantage over other players. Any advantage in general is not against ToS, it's outside software or programs other than the game. Having an extra console or an extra pc is not under that. And to my experience, every game that I know of that does try to punish running multiple accounts at one time is because they're in live scenarios that more times than not will need that extra person. You're complaining about carrying 1 person in an instance that is practically impossible to fail because the gate stays open. To me, it doesn't matter if a player is AFK or if they're inside walking around just tapping range or doign full auto. Considering actual new players are that unknowning of combat, you wouldn't know whether it's a new player or me just using 1 hand to hold triangle on 1 alt account while my other hand is doing Flurry or spamming a 100 power cost. Even outside of that, in actual runs I'm doing over 15x at least 1 person's damage output before the end of the instance. If I'm at 30k boss damage, I don't care if someone else is at 0 damage instead of 2k. "He wasted 30 seconds of my life because it might have been done faster, Daybreak please ban him" sounds like petty ranting from someone who can't farm themselves.
    • Like x 1
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Hey...as a guy who has an alt named "asdfasdfasdf" I resemble that remark. I have not brought him out during this seasonal (not feeling that 'grindy' this time) but a lot of people run garbage alts on seasonals/event (especially double cred weekends) so you can't pick on crappy names alone. Yeah...but he does suck...even NOT just standing there he won't be much help.

But yeah, I've seen this too. I'm not sure it's any worse than the SG event run I was in last night though. 3 heals, 2 trolls 1 tank and a 2nd DPS then me. I out powered the group by 10x at least, was 2nd in heals, top for pickups by 2x and 12 million over the 2nd DPS....I'd have felt better if I knew those other people were AFK alts honestly. Makes me sad they were probably trying their hardest.

I guess my thought is that if the 1 toon they are hitting it hard with is >2x the help as a doofus, I'd rather have a good player + AFK alt vs 2 crappy players most times. People bring in scrub friends all the time and get them a carry...why can't the friend just be himself on an alt?

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  18. Anri Myst Active Player

I'm running 16 characters during the events to get all the feats and styles easier, over the last week or so a lot more of these afk players have started showing up in the event.

I'm not sure they are alts of people in the group though, I just think they are peoples alt characters made for the event, and they are just bored of participating but still want the loot.

So they queue, walk into the area and then stand and do nothing. You can't kick them because you are in combat, so you need to die first. I usually wait a few minutes in case they are on the phone or something, but even if I want to die to kick its hard to die in the event.

Amazingly they are usually able to move right after the boss dies, its a miracle :D

Had my worst run of this type today, 16 runs, 14 times somebody was afk, the worst was 1 person locked out, and 1 just standing around inside doing nothing. While the last player didn't know to use the hazmat guys, took quite a while to get it done :p
    • Like x 1
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ok, so I decided to give this a shot. Revved up my laptop and joined with a toon on my PS4. Queued for the event and got in with 2 randoms. Using 2 controllers, with one hand on each I just spammed DW-flurry, dropped orbital and yeah...alternated between the 2 toons when pressing circle on a hazmat guy if one was close to me. About the only thing I did not participate in on the laptop toon was distributing the spore generators at the beginning as it's hard to one hand doing that. Finished the run with top DPS on my main and the laptop alt had most power out(dropped his SD mid fight) and damage in...oh, and 1 pickup too.

So unless the other 2 guys in the group were 1 guy doing the same thing as me, they just kind of sucked. So as long as sucky players are still allowed in the run, I don't see an issue with doing what I tried today.

BTW....I now think this is a great idea...thanks OP for the new method of getting stuff done.

Reinheld
  20. Rainnifer Committed Player

The OP is right, there are some players who run 2 characters at the same time. I just experienced it in the Titans Targeted! Alert... I put their alt on ignore so that I don't run into that again.