A happy middle between CR scaling and stat inflation.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Immortal Kyrro, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

CR scaling, that evil idea that was conceived partly as a way to deal with the insane stat inflation that was occurring. Clearly it needs to go away, but to do so would mean crazy stat inflation again. What if instead of that we look into a mix of scaling and stats matter.

Here's my thought. Put the CR scale on a window, let's go with vendor gear as a baseline. Anything under max CR of the previous set would have a small effectiveness penalty. Anything over would be neutral. By doing this you eliminate the feeling of worthlessness for not being max cr. Or it could be neutral under the window and a small buff if over the window, either option would be fine for this idea.

And with going back to large dlcs quarterly obtaining a full set of gear totaling vendor CR would not be difficult. This way we could keep a linear stat progression but stats would matter again.

What does everyone think. Just spit balling some ideas, maybe something will stick.
    • Like x 1
  2. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

There would also have to be some form of rework to skill points, but honestly a straight percentage would be bad. That would lead to absurd stat elevation again unless the percentage was so small it wouldn't matter.

An idea would be to increase the base stats from the weapon trees. We could then also make the 6th point in the tier 2 stats be a % modifier and make the tier 3 innates be %modifiers as well, but make those modifiers affect only non gear stats.

Or make the first 2 points of the bottom row innates %modifiers of the player innate stats and the 3rd point a gear % modifier.

Thoughts...
  3. Backseid Devoted Player

*headache*

*cross eyed*

*confused*

Lol. It's really simple actually. There's no need for our gear to jump up in stats so dramatically each Episode / DLC.

Thats the issue. Might doesn't need to rise more than, say, 100 points in a year.
    • Like x 3
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

The good middle ground between CR Differential and Stat Inflation would be CStatR Differentinflation.
    • Like x 1
  5. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Keep in mind when they just removed the differential for testing data and didn't touch stats people weren't able to complete t2 content at t7 cr. With only 100 point increase in a year there would be no feeling of strengthening and scaling that backwards, some t8 players would be unable to complete fos with only 400 more might than an at tier player

• Like x 1
  6. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Back under the bridge with you. I will not pay a toll

7. Wallachia Devoted Player

My jokes are not meant to troll, they are made to be what they are: jokes.

I was not, and will not, make jokes with any intentions to troll/insult/provoke anyone who is not being rude to everyone (like someone who'd come here and tell everyone to **** off, for instance). I simply made a play of words. Besides, Backseid already said what I think.

I apologize if my joke seemed to bother you somehow.
  8. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

I have to disagree. Getting higher stats is what drives a lot of players to get the hottest gear, grind out Skill Points, farm Exos for Mods, etc.

Doing a lot of 'work' for +14 Might feels lame.
  9. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

No worries it's all good. My response was a bit of a joke too. That's why I didn't just say **** off.

• Like x 1
  10. light FX Steadfast Player

Funny how CR scaling was supposed to stop stat inflation but look at resto right now. Also back in dlc7, the start of t5, max vit was 2577. That was 5 tiers worth of content to get to that #. 3 tiers later and vit is over 8k now. CR scaling and gu47 did nothing to stop stat inflation. Tbh its just made it worse. Idk what they are doing when it comes to this stuff. Its just all over the place and pretty messy. Thats why removing gu47 was pushed back. The devs have said its a lot of work and anyone can see it clearly is. Cause they cant just go back to pregu47. Or crazy stat inflation will continue. Power creep is a huge issue.

U can find dlc7 OC stuff on yt and see people at 101cr hitting the dummies for 2-4k. Now we hit for 100k+. The power creep is off the chart in this game and the team either doesnt know how to stop it or doesnt want to stop it. Cause over the last 2 years its just gotten worse. Imo all the stats need a reduction. I know that isnt a popular idea. But it would help the game. Plus reducing resto and vit might mean people could stop the silly 5 dps in a raid because u might need 2 healers or 2 trollers.
  11. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

I agree with you on the vit and resto stats, way to high. Stat reduction across the board is needed but won't be popular. With 13k base might now, there is no choice but to continue massive increases otherwise there will not be any noticeable difference from 1 gear set to the next.

12. Backseid Devoted Player

Well yeah, everything would have to be adjusted accordingly. But I don't think one Tier below should be a easy as being on the ship.
  13. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

With increases that miniscule, skill points become the end all be all as well. Having as few as 3 more sp than someone would compensate for missing a year's worth of content stat wise.

• Like x 1
  14. light FX Steadfast Player

I agree. Likes someone said getting +14 might is lame and u dont feel like u get stronger. This is the problem they created tho. It can be fixed. Idk how exactly. But i dont work in the gaming industry. Not our jobs to figure out ways to fix the game. But i think anyone who has played other MMO type games can see power creep in this one is a big issue. Their main reason for doing gu47 and CR differential was the stat problem. Its strange to see a change get made to fix a problem but the change only makes the problem worse. It just shows how gu47 was such a big misstep.
  15. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Agreed. That's why I would suggest maybe a 5-10% buff or penalty from the differential, but not per cr as it is now. Not even per window. 1 time deal. If you're below the window at all you get the 1 penalty or if you're above the window you get the 1 buff. Not both and not stacking

16. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Not our job to fix the problem, but it doesn't hurt to throw meaningful ideas out there either

• Like x 1
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

Ofc not. We should be throwing ideas out there. Wish we heard more of their ideas. I liked the WIP threads so much because it was the team proposing an idea before it went live and having a discussion with the players on whether the idea would work and how it should work. Hopefully when we go back to 3 month dlcs maybe the WIP can return.

Also remember with old dlcs if u didnt get a drop and your marks stacked up u could get some vendor gear. Imo that was the best. Raid and vendor gear with the same IL but raid gear had better stats. And if we are going back to stats matter then imo they should go back to that with gear. Idk how they handle elite gear tho. Just better stats then raid gear? But then it brings up the problem of stats increasing too much. Ugh idk man. My head hurts now from thinking about this too much lol :(
  18. Proxystar #Perception

I have to wonder whether power creep might not just be better off accepted as a reality rather than spending heaps of time trying to fix.

older parts of the game are always going to be avoided somewhat by the more experienced players because they no longer pose a challenge and that is rather normal in my eyes.

Short of them needing something within that content they're not going back in there and if they do, they want to stomp it.

The best way in my opinion to address power creep is to introduce "optional stat clamping" now I know I'm heavily against stat clamping, especially on a mandatory level, my main primary concern with optional is not whether it should be introduced, but rather how you introduce it with enough incentive to actually have people utilize it.

If it's not utilized then it defeats the very purpose of introducing it in the first place, because the people it hurts are the ones that can benefit from it the most i.e. the new players who need to be taught etc. etc.

I don't believe there is anything within the games current structure that would provide enough incentive or reward to want to run clamped (only when they desire to, as it's optional).

If we can come up with a meaningful reason for people to run content in that manner then I think that is the best solution. In saying that as well there needs to be a very careful balance between what progression a high end players gets through clamped content as opposed to "their own relevant content" and/or running older content unclamped.

Some people won't want to go back to older parts of the game and we have to be careful not to excessively penalise a person because they have little interest in playing something they've thrashed out before.
  19. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

[IMG]

[IMG]
  20. Streven Dedicated Player

They had the opportunity to to fix the stats with GU47 but bailed on the plan. Probably because implementing CR differential was a lot easier than doing balance passes on all the content and adjusting stats where appropriate.