A few questions about tanking (Ice and in general)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ghaladh, May 23, 2015.

1. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

I am becoming pretty good with my Ice tank, but there are still a few things that are unknown to me. Here are my questions; they mostly are about tanking in general.

1) I understand that Domination doesn't influence the amount of aggro you cause. I guess it works in the same way it works for a controller: it improves the CC effects (pulls and knock down). Am I correct? What else Domination does for a tank?

2) Whatever power the tank uses, it will attract more aggro than any other class. If that's correct, if a Fire tank, just to make an example, uses a ranged AoE damage (like Mass Detonation or similar), wouldn't he "convince" foes that are far away from him to attack him? I am asking because, if that's true, it would mean that a tank doesn't really need a long range pull.

3) Bosses are scripted in a way that they will randomly attack any member of the team. Single target taunts like Frost snipe are able to prevent that?

4) What influences aggro the most? In other words, is there a way to make sure that adds will never attack your team members?

5) In my Ice tank loadout I use Cold snap and Reflection. Those powers give Chill Effect and, after being activated 5 times, they give you Ice Armor. I never get Ice armor probably because I use those two shields in a too long time span. How does an Ice tank activate Ice armor?

6) Many people complain because I attack foes while I am under the protection of my shield. Why? I mean, I use my weapons when I am not taking damage, so that I can take advantage of the control effects given by the weapon hits (I use shield as it stuns, grounds and knocks down). I hardly get any damage by doing so, thanks to my shields. Of course there are foes that hit really hard, in which case I just play turtle, otherwise my shield would be gone in less than a second. What am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for your answers.
  2. BumblingB I got better.

1) Dominance trait helps your tank buff and the ability to pull. You don't have the ability to do lasting stuns. It's mostly for your tank buff. Even if you don't have the minimum dom, you will always be at the top of the threat table as long as you hit a power in tank stance.
    2) I think you are misunderstanding. All powers a tank does will "snap" aggro an NPC. You can hit a target at range and that target will be aggro'd to you, the problem is, if they are so far away, after the duration of the taunt wears off, you could end up losing them again and you would have to do it again. Range tanking works, but most people prefer the safety of having them next to you. So pulling the adds is important. Bosses can't be pulled, but they will walk to the tank.
    3) No, a scripted attack is intended to make the battle interesting. You have their aggro even during the scripted attack unless the aggro window drops then.
    4) Tank taunts.
    5) If you have max damage mod, it wont activate ice armor.
    6) Their thought process is while you are out of block, you aren't doing your job. It comes down to comfortable. In high end content, a tank needs to block, even when shields are up, because those shields can go down quickly with big hits. Over geared, you are fine.
    • Like x 1
  3. Red Jenni Loyal Player

• Like x 1