A Costly DCUO Timeline of Current and Future Plans

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Radioactive Spider, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Radioactive Spider New Player

Lets take a look at the 2014 timeline of current and future additions being made to this game and to see how much DCUO can be very costly to you.

DCUO Timeline

Jan 2014
    Armories Introduced
    · One Armory - $6 ($6 per Armory)
    · 4-Pack - $20 ($5 per Armory)
    · 8-Pack - $32 ($4 per Armory)
    3-Months of Legendary for $29.99!
    DLC9 - War of the Light Part I - $10
    · (Rage is OP) Power Switch Token $10

Feb 2014
    Hotfix
    · (Rage is Nerfed) Power Switch Token $10
    Game Update 34: DCUO: Feat Unlocking! $$$$
    · 10-Point Feat will cost 1 Replay Badge.
    · 25-Point Feat will cost 3 Replay Badges.
    · 50-Point Feat will cost 5 Replay Badges.
    (Sorcery is OP) Power Switch Token $10

March 2014 and beyond
    Hotfix
    (Sorcery is Nerfed) Power Switch Token $10
    Marketplace Items $$$$
    · Total Recovery Kit
    · Marketplace Amenities (There will be a new amenity that we'll introduce in the next few months - you will be able to earn in-game or purchase in the Marketplace. I hope to be able to talk about that, and another Base system tweak that should make people happy in the next month or so.)
    DLC 10 – Amazon Fury - $10
    · Weapon Mastery
    DLC11 - League Halls - $10

With all the new additions being announced this year all with a price tag, how much is DCUO really costing you?
  2. Welcome2TheNhk New Player

Rather them do bit recovery micro transactions then lock players out of content with dlc's.. Also having played/playing ffxivarr with the open class system them have and coming back here and not being able to switch to what is needed is a complete and utter pain in the ***. Now i can roll all classes and switch as needed. Wish they let us Spec powers into armories though, so i can just switch to a tank/healer or troll with out relogging to completely different toon accounts.
    • Like x 1
  3. Archangel Rafael New Player

$15 / month.

$10 / mo if you pay for the whole year.

... course I had to foresight to buy lifetime for $200 so ...
    • Like x 1
  4. Derio 15000 Post Club

Its costing me $30 for 3 months, because I save up replays, I already have all the ammentities. I am not a power hopper. I do not buy DLCs. Currently there is no marketplace item of high value to me that i need to buy it. Next marketplace item i do buy is the token to increase the number of ammentities in 1 base.
  5. Caseyyeah Committed Player

Almost, if not everything you posted is optional with exception of the DLCs. Everything else is something extra that is not necessary to improve your character.
  6. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Sub - $120 for 12 months
    Respec Tokens - None since I don't switch powers until a few months after a power has been tweaked based on player feedback.
    Armories - $32 for 8 to support the development of the armories and the marketing team listening to our feedback on pricing
    DLCs - Already subscribed, so do not need to buy
    Feat Unlocking with Replays - Already subscribed, so do not need to buy replay badges
    Total Recovery Kit - Will buy with my LP/SC through subscription

If you are smart and patient, there is no reason to pay extra money for the game. I might anyway to get it now instead of waiting, but my point is: The buy it now mentality is not a necessity but a choice. I didn't even have to buy armories; if I had waited a few more weeks, I could have bought 8 with my accumulated station cash or loyalty points. I bought those because I wanted to support our developers for their hard work in the game.
    • Like x 2
  7. Tikkun Loyal Player

Micro transactions with DCUO are quality of life improvements and cosmetic mostly. DLC aside, you don't need to buy anything through micro transactions to do well in this game. I think it's a fair business model for a F2P game.

I pay for Legendary and if I still really want something, I will shell out the money to buy it in addition to the sub.

Edit: I wanted to add that if a user is Premium, they only have to pay for 4 dlcs a year to play end-game as it is released. That's $40 per year...and considering most new video games will set you back $60 and give you maybe a month of entertainment...I'd say it's a good deal.
    • Like x 2
  8. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The implication in the OP is that the game is unplayable without buying the listed items. Since January, have spent $20 on a 4 pack of armories. The armories enhance the game for me but are not necessary.

My sub runs out in the spring, and I'll renew for a year. I buy my replays and radars when they're on sale.
    • Like x 2
  9. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Quoted for truth.
  10. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

· Marketplace Amenities (There will be a new amenity that we'll introduce in the next few months - you will be able to earn in-game or purchase in the Marketplace. I hope to be able to talk about that, and another Base system tweak that should make people happy in the next month or so.)
    What does the new Amentities are you talking about? ^.^ ^^^
  11. Trexlight Devoted Player

Im confused by this whole thing...I just really am. If you were going to give concise and accurate information, you would have left your comments "(Rage is OP)" out of your post cause now it seems you are just wanting to throw your opinions with this blanket of mis-information. I feel you were honestly on to something but you got lost somewhere. Also, with a timeline, i was expecting more than 2 months and DCUO costs me $15 a month, the perks from my Subscription afford me everything that I need :)
    • Like x 1
  12. Physique Dedicated Player

Taking the perspective that the OP is simply trolling, I would say that a) I haven't spent anything more than I would have spent normally on the game in maintaining my Legendary subscription on the PS3/PS4 and I have a lifetime sub on the PC side; b) the OP assumes that just because a new power is released the majority of people who play this game are so shallow and inept that they would switch simply to use what may or may not be the most effective powerset in the game (it isn't but that wasn't part of the discussion). c) the OP also assumes that everyone will simply buy replay badges to unlock feats; he (or she) obviously hasn't been playing the game of late because if he (or she) had been, it would be apparent that most high level toons are running around with 45-60 skill points on their primary characters these days because of all the tier skipping.

The facts remain that SOE is in the video game business and they do not give much away for free. They cannot and expect to stay in business or make money. While the core game is free-to-play, nothing else in the game should be and it is at SOE's discretion what they choose or elect to charge for the services. It is our (the player and consumer community) discretion to decide what we will or will not buy in terms of those services and that is an individual choice which shouldn't be colored by anyone else's opinions. The OP is entitled to their opinions regardless how troll-worthy or snarky they are but, in the same breath, I can say that whatever is being sold or whatever the pricing is, it is up to each person to decide if the cost if of enough value to the to make purchases.
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Not really sure what the intention is of making such a thread in the style you have... I assume it's a mock thread.

None the less, in most cases you're merely quoting prices. You're stacking the cost price of armories and feat unlocks as though you need to buy them at the prices you've listed to use them.

On top of all that, with the exception of DLC, which progresses the game, none of the items you listed are necessary and merely convenience. Well, apart from power respec tokens and to be honest, you don't deserve a break in the price if you're jumping to whatever is flavor of the moment so you can be the very best, like no one ever was...

The way I see things, if people don't want to use armories, then don't. If people don't want to buy 100% recovery kits, then don't, use an exceptional. If people don't want to buy base amenities, then don't, go farm the collections or buy them off the Broker. If people don't want to clone feats, then go and earn them the old fashioned way on your alts and instead, stop making endless threads on discussion forums complaining about being required to buy things that aren't necessary for the functionality of the game.

There's no reason to oppose or protest any of the ideas they've suggested, at all and it's nice to see them resorting to creative ways to monetise the game, rather than looking to exploit it's player base with necessary purchases to remain competitive in the game.
  14. Radioactive Spider New Player

i put the comments of "is OP and is Nerfed" as an example of some people when spending their money in this game. i should have used the replay badges as a better example. but nonetheless, point of the thread is showing that things can and will get costly to be playing this game. it seems like 2014 has been a rapid fire of new features or mechanics every month but at a cost.
  15. Trexlight Devoted Player

But there wasnt any reason to put the Legendary membership for $30 in there. That is actually a benefit and a cheaper cost for subscribing which if someone Subscribes they receive 500 SC/LP per month which they can use to purchase items like the Armories, Power Change Tokens and Replay badges (which you also get 250 per month if you subscribe). Only thing you are really paying for is your DLCs which again if you Subscribe, you get them for free. Items on the Marketplace, outside of DLCs, are cosmetic items. Its a choice to buy them, nowhere near mandatory. Its only as costly to the person who wishes to buy, not to the majority.
  16. Abstrakt Loyal Player

theres not one they said you will be able to purchase the amenities from the marketplace but they will still be available in game for people who want to farm the collections
    oday I’d like to share our plans to introduce Base Amenities to the in-game Marketplace. The reason we’re doing so is two-fold:
    • First, these items are extremely useful and fundamental to the Base system, and make the game better for those that have them
    • Second, since they can be difficult to obtain in-game, we want to give players a way to immediately get them if they so desire
    Base Amenities

For those that don’t know, Base Amenities serve as a significant part of the Base system. There are Amenities for everything that you can think of: crafting (R&D Station), writing and reading emails (Mailbox), accessing your bank and shared bank (Bank), respeccing your Skill or Power Points (Respec Station), buying crafting components (R&D Vendor), practicing weapon and power attacks (Sparring Target), buying and selling items on the Broker (Broker), and buying Soders, selling inventory, and repairing gear (Soder Vendor). Taken together, amenities really make bases into a feature at the core of your everyday gameplay experience.

Currently, Base Amenities can be obtained by completing collections in-game, and this will still be the case going forward. Additionally, players will have the option of purchasing the same amenities in the Marketplace. Whether you purchase an amenity or not, you will still be able to complete those collections in-game.

Our intent is to provide a smoother, more convenient experience to those who want it, without changing the way the items or systems already in the game work.
  17. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Ok, thats what I thought it said. Lol, i didnt read your post correctly. My bad. I do like this idea. I have all of them on my main, but I would love to have them on my alts.
    • Like x 1
  18. TheVoiceOfReason Well-Known Player

More than its worth for barely any content to play. Their greed will kill this game.
  19. Radioactive Spider New Player

I basically started this as a timeline of everything announced this year with a price. Not everyone was/is a legendary member but the special pricing was available in the month of Jan as an option. The main thing is showing how 2014 is off to a rocky start with all these announced additions asking for your hard earned money.
  20. Abstrakt Loyal Player

Ive been paying 10 bucks a month for the past 3 year, imagine a game that continues to bring out content and wants to actually pay its people for work....what an injustice.
    We asked for feat unlocks, we asked to buy amenities we asked for content.we asked for power reset tokens too. not everyone changes powers constantly i just simply roll another alt.
    league halls will be an update not a dlc
    the dlc will feature the new gods. If they wanted to just be greedy they could do away with all levels of membership stop giving stuff away and charge for everything.
    I love it when people jump in with oh no ill heave to spend money when for the price of 2 shiny new ps4 or pc games that youll beat in a day you can have access to everything in game for a year...
    • Like x 2