30 Years Ago, 15 Seconds That Changed Everything

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ankh_Legacy, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Well for those that lived through it.

October 17th 1989, the ground shook at the Loma Prieta Peak in the Santa Cruz mountains and many parts of the San Francisco Bay Area collapsed.

Living in San Jose at the time I had it easy. When it hit I was in my stairway landing, taking my homework and cat up to my room to watch the World Series. When it stopped, I checked for damage, there was some but not too bad and the power was out.

At first I was pissed because I thought I was missing the game but that changed when I got out a radio and heard what was really going on. Power was restored early the next morning allowing me to finally see what I had been listening to.

A few of my teachers lived in the Santa Cruz mountains, they were ok but were stuck up there for about a week.
    • Like x 2
  2. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

At the time, I lived in Anaheim, and was only half a year old. So I honestly have no recollection of it. But I remember it being talked about in school when I grew up some more and it sounded pretty scary. My parents said they could feel it in Anaheim, so obviously it was a big quake.

But that's just one of the side affects of living in California. That, and outrageously expensive housing markets.