2 vs 2 Lair Battle Question

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Penryn, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Has anyone tried out this new arena option? The description says it is a best of 5 round deathmatch. So how does that work in practice? Do you need to kill both players on the opposing team for each round or do you only need to kill one player to get the round victory?
  2. Loche Developer

Right now you just need to defeat one player to win the round. I would love to hear peoples opinion of this new lair battle. Please take a look and respond back.
    • Like x 2
  3. Bobburt Committed Player

I haven't had the chance to try this out yet, but I absolutely love the idea of this option. This would actually make me want to do more lair battles.
    • Like x 2
  4. metal1ix Well-Known Player

If it is two versus two, and you only need to defeat one to win a round... Best bet would to take down the weaker partner of the enemy force. A good suggestion would be that if implemented, get a good partner that can survive onslaughts of attacks from the opposing force. Two Ice tanks would definitely get the job done.
  5. Elusian Crowd Control

Questionable, especially when you meet a situation where only 1 team has a counterrole advantage. So they obv pick on the obv role and the others loose just cause of the team setup. Don't like it =/
    • Like x 5
  6. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I like the idea of this Arena, but I think it would work better for Legends or in a setting where all toons are forced to dps role. As Elusian mentioned, the team that has the counter-role advantage will be the favorites to win.

Will 2vs2 Lair Battles count towards the Lair Battle win feat?
    • Like x 2
  7. AV Loyal Player

Hate this. Running into Healer + Troll combos is painful enough in Batcave, let alone in a situation where you need to win 3 rounds. I wish Lair was ONLY Legends. Lair would be such much more fun if everyone was forced into DPS role. Also, if Lair was Legends or DPS only, there would never have been such a huge problem with quitting in the first place.
    • Like x 1
  8. Trinidad James Loyal Player

I would like to know this as well! That 1000 win feat is crazy hard to get and I'm still mad that it wasn't cut in half.
    • Like x 1
  9. AV Loyal Player

Seriously, why wasn't it? I get that its always in the rotation, or at least it seems to be, but deserter penalty changes have destroyed a lot of interest for people who don't feel like letting an opponent beat them down while they stand there when they get badly outmatched or put into the all-to-common draw scenario. Scrimmage only makes it worse. All told, Lair seems to take much longer and has a narrower selection of opponents at any given time.
  10. Brice Allen Loyal Player

Guys,
    the feat doesn't have to be obtainable right this second. Take your time and get it eventually. That is why it is 1K. If you want to farm it be my guest. But think of this. We have PVP Seasons now. In 3-4 months a new one will be upon us. I don't know about you all but this guy right here gets almost all his gear from 1v1. Each time seasons rotate in I'll get a little closer to the feat. Besides, it is what...25 Feat Points for the 1K and all the rest are 10 Feat Points. Not a game changer at all. I say keep the 1K 1v1 Feat and just have a little patience:).
    P.S: The way the Lair Feat is written all Lair Battles count towards the 1K Feat. Heck even Legends right now on Live count towards it.
  11. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I was wondering about the feat because some of the PvP win feats were bugged when GU 25/26 were released. They were eventually fixed, but it took a few days. If this one is meant to count for the feat, it would be nice to know before it hits Live.

Brice, what do you think about this new Arena 2vs2 Lair Battle scenario?
  12. AV Loyal Player

I agree and I don't really grind it now that I'm done my gear but it is much slower these days. Is it confirmed that the Legends battles count? Much more reasonable way of working on the feat and, imo, a way more enjoyable way of doing Lair with everyone being DPS and no HT trinks.

Edit: I think the 1k feat is 10 points as well.
  13. Loche Developer

So, how many people have actually tried this out yet? I would like some constructive feedback from players who have actually played it on PCTest. The sooner the better, that way we can act on the feedback.
    Thanks!
  14. Brice Allen Loyal Player

I haven't had an opportunity to do a 2v2 Lair Battle just yet so I can't pass judgement on the "once 1 player dies the other team wins a round". In my head I'm thinking...that isn't right. That it should be both players should have to die before a team wins a round but then I think of the horrors of facing a 2 Tank team. I'd punch myself in the face repeatably if I qued up against that and had to kill both Tanks before winning a round. 2v2 Lair Legends will be fine. 2v2 Lair Arena is going to be painful against the right players. ESPECIALLY with the Home Turf crap (sorry Tunso and other Devs...love you...but it is still crap in Arena and shouldn't be allowed). Imagine fighting 2 Tanks or 2 Healers running full on Home Turf. The thought almost gives me an ulcer. :D
    • Like x 1
  15. Brice Allen Loyal Player

I will try and test this today but I have to be honest...I've been holding off on testing it simply because of the "Usable While Controlled/PVP Trinket" thing you guys were addressing. It killed the combat so much for me I have been patiently waiting for you guys to Hotfix that change back in on Test so I could do some more testing.
  16. AV Loyal Player

THANK YOU! Would be amazing if non-pvp trinkets were locked out of Arena, or even just Lair. Remix soder + T4 Sidekick + T4 Supply Drop is way more than enough for a good tank or healer to keep themselves alive pretty much indefinitely. It's so cheap that I'll only even use them, out of spite, if my opponent does first :(

Thoughts on 2v2 Lair. Legends, yes. Arena, no. The 2v2 Batcave is acceptable because, even if it's going to be a no-kill draw, you can still employ strategy and use Explosive Block or CC powers to expose the node for a few points, which makes the round fun because you're actively trying to outsmart your opponent. With no objective other than to kill each other, there are a lot of pairings in Lair that just descend into painful bullcrap, especially when you factor in HT stuff. Right now, with healers getting the bonus against tanks even when in dps role (not sure if this has been fixed yet) I can see one healer being able to take two equally geared and skilled tanks without too much difficulty. Also, like Brice said, who wants to fight two tanks or two healers? or a healer and a controller? Its a cocksmashingly boring experience of either doing no damage at all or having health be fully replenished when there's a chance of maybe getting a kill.

I'll test it out more but those are my general thoughts on it. Lair is fun, imo, when its quick and dirty without becoming a war of attrition. I play tank in Lair but, tbh, I wish I wasn't allowed to (ie. wish we were all locked in DPS mode with no non-pvp trinkets). I'm a little biased by my preference for objective based PVP though.
  17. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I've been queuing up for it, but it has never popped for me. In the time I've been testing GU 27, I've only seen one other group express interest in trying it. This new lair battle option wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, so not a lot of people know about it.

I did try an uneven scrimmage match in 2vs2 lair. The battle didn't go too well for me - as I was expecting. Rounds did end whenever one person on a team was killed. The only weird thing I saw was a recovery cog on a person at the start of the next round after they were killed in the previous round.