10 Years of best memories thread

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Curse Bringer, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

So, this is for new player and vets alike, I would like to hear what your favorite memory from DCUO is. ten years of memories to be had, and I started playing this game back when I was roughly 14 years old. I've seen so many changes to this game, from the DEV team to combat mechanics to the way stories were delivered and each and every time, I felt like it was a breath of fresh air delivered into the game, or something new we had to learn to keep up with our playstyles. ( except whatever hard light update changed the combat speed that was the worst:mad:)
    …any how I would love to hear everyone's favorite or fond memory from DCUO.

My favorite memory comes from a few years back. our Creative director at the time, Jens Anderson, hosted a livestream every Friday night, called Friday Night Legends. Jens with none other then Mepps, would have popular leagues battle it out in PVP matches to claim victory over each other. at the time I was on villains side playing in a league called most wanted. we were maybe 15 strong of solid people who found each other just playing solo and making friends. we had made some our friends in a league called catalyst over on the hero side from the old days of the public enemies server. we'd throw our alts into each others leagues and help gear up either our hero's or villain's and all try to pick a night to play together. (typically reset day, Thursdays). So one weekend we decided to throw each other into the FNL live stream and play a few scrimmages to see who could come out on top. in the end it was a close match but catalyst came on top with a few extra meteor captures on moon 5v5. afterwards we were all celebrating in TeamSpeak talking about how much fun we had had. to this day were all friend in Facebook and my best friend I had made is going to the the best man at my wedding.

this game has helped me make so many memories sand friendships in the past 10 years and I owe a lot of fond memories to it.

please share your memories and good vibe you've had in game!
    • Like x 1
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

This one's an easy one for me. :D

I've always been a bit behind the curve on progression due to how I play, so by the time I got fully into the Battle for Earth content most players had moved on from that. So more often than not I'd have the "take down a Sub-Avatar" open world mission stuck in my mission journal for a while because it was REALLY hit or miss in encountering multiple players to take down those things.

Having that mission stuck there was kind of like having a pebble stuck in your shoe. It just bugged the heck out of me LOL So one day I'm wandering around South Gotham and encounter an area where a Sub-Avatar has kind of wandered into a clear spot. No other spawns to jump me and throw their CC on my character. So I look at it, analyze the location and think, "What the heck, let's see what happens if I try this alone."

It didn't go well. But I noticed that while I did end up getting pasted, some of the things I was doing were working, so I tried again. And again. And again. And each time I knocked off more and more health, until finally I managed to make one drop before I did.

Once I figured it out, I was able to replicate the results on multiple characters and even get to the point where I could take down two of the three kinds of Sub-Avatars (Magic and Meta, Tech was too nasty lol) whenever I needed to.

I never got any sort of feat for it, and was even able to pull it off on characters whose CR was low enough that they wouldn't receive loot for their efforts. But to this day it still stands as my biggest accomplishment and favorite moment in the game: when I learned how to solo two-thirds of the Sub-Avatars. :)
    • Like x 2
  3. Anak Panah Well-Known Player

In late October of 2013 the following happened:

I was playing FOS 3 with a group of players unknown to me. They were looking for a controller, last spot in the raid, via chat and so I joined.

It soon became clear, that the group was not fully up to the task and after two players KO'd, the first player started leaving after just 4-5 minutes. It was the other controller so I had to solo-troll the remainder of players. We would have had a chance from my point of view as it went smoothly for a while with 5 players though the damage was little and thus progress slow. After a while fighting Non players started to get KO'd, but nobody stepped in to revive them as all fought busily without looking left and right.
    We were two at last and a few minutes later I was the last player trying to fight Ursa. At least I now know for sure that the developers took measures that raids cannot be soloed as all NPCs in the room attacked me at once and even long range and despite my defensive measures I barely lasted two minutes.

We started another round then soon still missing two or three players. I said that reviving KO'd players is a must and we started out well and after a while we even were a complete party of eight again, merely with one healer and one controller though, yours truly. It went very much better than the first try and we were fighting General Zod, the last boss, pretty soon. I credit that to the new players some of whom were invited.

Anyway in the midst of the fight against Zod, four or five players were KO'd at once and I ran over there and managed to revive three in a row. I felt like the hero of the day, I was never able to revive three players in a row before.
    As soon as I rejoined the fight I looked at the chat area just to see that someone calls me a moron for not giving power. I was about to rage quit. I just possibly saved the raid from another doom by reviving three players and someone needs to insult me badly by calling me a moron. I called for reviving before, but if players fight blindly on, someone has to step in to revive. One healer in the raid cannot revive 5 players down and the controller cannot spam power while he is reviving other players. I decided to stay and just made a short remark to anger my insulter.

Zod somehow did not want to give in yet. After some more minutes and Zod almost down, three or four players were KO'd again, but now it was the right thing to stay on the enemy who was down less than a minute after.
    What a drama... In fact the players most of which seemingly knew each other left hastily and annoyed.
    I was just standing there thinking about what just had happened until I noticed that my inventory was full... I got the whole group loot from General Zod. I could not believe it, but somehow it made up for working my rear off for a group of players unknown to me and hearing no thank you, but that I am a moron.

My biggest loot ever:
    • Despot's Imperious Spikes (Controller)
    • Despot's Assault Glaives
    • Despot's Shielded Assault Rifle (Tank)
    • Despot's Shielded Longbow (Tank)
    • Despot's Assault Longbow
    • Despot's Convalescent Longbow (Healer)
    • Glossed Black Piano (Base item)
    P.S.: Back then the game still had only group loot for which you needed to roll.
    • Like x 2
  4. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Chinatown PVP wars were super fun.
    • Like x 2
  5. Swamarian Committed Player

USPC heroes vs. villains football. I think that it was the day after Thanksgiving. Mepps threw out the ball (A Superman superball.), and we theoretically were to try to get it past the other team's goal. Instead it degenerated into a massive war in front of the Superman statue.

Heros vs Villains Hide and Seek. Daddio was hiding for the villains, Feenicks for the heroes. I actually found Daddio first once, but you had to actually take them down, and I suck at PvP, and Daddio didn't. Was still fun though.

Heat Wave once wandered in front of the Diamond District GCPD office, and some fool attacked him. The ensuing slaughter was breathlessly narrated on Shout until my bounty group could take him down.
    • Like x 1
  6. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

The first one for me was when I first hit level 30 and was running the level 30 duos(this was 2011) and I was going the OMAC/Brother Eye duo(the same one as level 29 mission) and we both get to the final room and my partner gets KO'd almost immediately so there I was all by myself running this solo and this was when for some reason the healing barrels weren't respawning. I ended up completing it with just plain old soders. I just jumped around the room and fought when my health was built up and I was able to avoid the electrified floor because I was Acro and Spidermaned my way around the room. To me it was one hell of an accomplishment.

The other is a somewhat negative one. I was doing the Grodd duo and right as we were heading into the final room, my partner got DC'd so I had to solo this room as well but it's nowhere as difficult as the OMAC one. This was back in the roll for loot days as well as if someone left or got DC'd that someone else could come in. Well, someone did and of course they couldn't get into the final room so they sat outside while I did all the work. When I finally took Grodd down and the loot dropped and it was something I really needed at the time(was a blue item) and the guy who did absolutely nothing rolled need and got it. I was pissed.

In a general sense, the early days were something special. The separate servers (No Man's Land forever!!), the open world PVP Wars, the Shazaam glitch. I really miss the old days.
  7. C3alix Committed Player

That would be the old me. I was just going around acting like a hero and he knocked the hell out of me.
  8. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Man the fun i had with atomic when it first came out
    • Like x 1
  9. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

One thing I loved to do was in the early days of Mental(blades was a great move), I used to use Illusory Forms to switch to a civilian so I looked like a NPC and I would walk back and forth in front of villain safe houses and when the opportunity presented itself I would attack an unknowing villain. I'll never understand why they got rid of this as it was really, really cool. I used to use it when you'd have an AFK high level villain to score a KO. Anyone remember the football games using the chunk of moonrock that used to pop up in random places? The parking lot of the Metrodome was a usual spot.
    • Like x 1
  10. Critical Massacre Committed Player

When I finally figured out how to correctly run my atomic tank. I was fighting the final boss in the 8 man op in Atlantis. I was the only tank and I was actually going toe to toe with the main boss surrounded by adds. I felt like a total bad a$$ and it seemed like the entire fight centered on just me and the villain. The importance and fun of tanking never became more evident in that moment.
  11. Proxystar #Perception

The best memories I think were back when the game was very new, and even the first few DLC's, the game has probably in fairness got progressively worse with every different combat iteration and rework in terms of overall enjoyment and I think this comes down to the combat mechanics being "worse" at least in my opinion and even the community itself changing through the PC/PS merge. I don't want to make this in any way an "us v them" type of argument but the PC and PS communities are generally quite different and that in my opinion affects memories which are generally the by product of a good experience :)

My favorite times would easily have been during base game and the first DLC's, doing those lightning strikes bounties for the first time in the evenings with mates, going in to FOS3 for the first time, going in to Vengeance and Black Dawn with a mate, when people used to call certain rune pieces and acting like you couldn't speak English, so you just rolled need on everything and just ran real quick :D :D

PVP battles outside nightclubs and on the hospital roof in Little Bohemia during T4 and T5 was easily the best imo.

Hanging out with some of the friends I've made in game and leagues are probably the biggest thing, I think the best memories aren't even necessarily the product but the people you spend time with, if it weren't for the people I play the game with I probably wouldn't even play it at times I otherwise am :)
    • Like x 2
  12. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

You ever take part in the PVP heroes vs villains open world battles by the Superman Statue? That's where I first experienced the Shazaam glitch.
    • Like x 1
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Oh of course, the Superman Statue was a big PVP battleground, PVP back then was just so much better, the state its in now with immortal healers and tanks, my goodness it's just a travesty lol :D
    • Like x 1
  14. FoolsFire Devoted Player

- From my Year One -
    Finding Gorilla Grodd on top of a building and thinking, "Oh, I see what you did there."
    Finding a villains safehouse and saying "Hi" to the guards only to be thrown high in the air.
    Walking into Ace Chemical not realizing what an Alert was.
  15. Tilz Loyal Player

So I will post my Highlights here.

Back then when AnB was like endgame Content I was a complete noob. Celestial Healer without mods or sp. I got a loadout from YouTube (thx to kaiser007) and thats it. I saw a Group shouting for solohealer AnB with 5k resto. I think I had 3.5k at that time. I just sent a tell and solohealed the raid for the first time without knowing what to do. It worked super fine :D Maybe I was lucky with the Group and Maybe I am just a good healer, but that gave me a nice confidence boost.

I was part of "The Shadow Seekers" on EUPC Server. It was such a nice league and to some ppl I still have contact outside DCUO. Awesome times when we all played casual and just had fun trying to beat Content.

With AF2 I became member of the legendary league Odyssey and they showed me lots of tricks and helped my healing getting to the next Level.

With HH elite I got asked by another Player to join them for a featrun. I had to heal. This was the first time I was in a Voicechat with other Players and I managed to heal them through the feats. This raid marked the start of me getting real tryhard and "pro" in the game. Thx to Sivulla and Schimära for this awesome run.

When my old league fell apart I got asked to join a german league (Endzeit). This league was the best bunch of ppl running high Level Content with feats and still having lots of fun in game. They showed me how to tank and I became their Tank in SM-Runs and also healed everything.

When DWFe was endgame I was a nature healer abusing the Harvest spam in bugform. This was just stupid. So I decided to try out electricity healing (before revamp with good range and stuff, elec healing wasn't in a good state). I played around with it. Took wired as Group mightbuff in and solohealed DWFe. Suddenly all dps wanted to be close to me for the mightbuff I gave to 3 other People. Buff-Healing was a Thing then in our league :D

Just came back from a 3y break and saw soo many old faces in the game. People who took a break over the last 4-5 years. Really nice to see old vets back to the game. I am now part of a really nice league with old Players and it's lot of fun. Showing me that I don't Need artifacts for healing :D :D
  16. Saami Loyal Player

For me it is early PvP that brings best memories. DCUO used to have such a good, skill-based mechanics. There was no instant 60% dmg boost, but you needed to get your rotation right to output most damage in each different situation.
  17. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

What a great and refreshing thread. I have quite a few to list here. Will be brief with the highlights but want to explain the #1 for me. W/out further delay, my top 5 are:

2) getting epic odyssey feat in a league run when content was relevant. We had 2 dos pugs that cycled in/out till we had the correct group BUT it was a bada** fight and encompassed more time and wipes than i have ever spent in a fight and we did it legit.
    3) running FOS2 at relevancy. Need i say more? Hands down the best raid the devs ever made. It was just awesome top to bottom and created a plethora of good gaming memories
    4) (prob the #1 memory really but no story to tell) its the conversations, the laughter, the hours in the “lab” working on loadouts etc all with the friends that have come an gone (new and old friends alike)
    5) shutting down police stations in PVP open world for hours at a time. We had some awesome battles with the heroes back in the day. Massive battles that at times lasted hours.

*honorable mention to the times the devs would “Q into” our hubs as some crazy OP enemies. Theres still video of it on youtube an while it may not have been one of the best memories, it certainly was one of the most fun things to ever happen in the game!!!

Finally #1
    Myself and my league troll Fearsome Projection got ninja invited into a failed raid. The group had been stuck at the sea beast/corum rath fight for over 2 hours with dozens of players cycling in/out. (Forget the name of the raid but the one where u fight rath an the sea beast flys across the screen).
    We tried explaining the mechanics before the 1st attempt after us joining an no-one else on mic nor GC. And an over zealous group just went for it.
    Fearsome and I split the map, he watched the “left” while I took the middle an right side. Im quantum and thus i can teleport via quantum tunneling. The members of the group proceeded to die in groups of 3-4 a pop every 5-10 seconds it seemed. Fearsome and I took pickups to a whole nother level lol. It because our job, our purpose in that moment. At one point it became a competition between us and he said to me “i bet i have over 10 pickups so far”. We cleared the raid on our 1st attempt seemingly willing the group to victory. To tally at the end was breathtaking. Fearsome has 15-18 pickups (cant recall) and i had pulled off an amazing 38 pickups!!! Its no exaggeration either. We single handedly put that group on our shoulders and carried them across the line haha. It was just amazing to me. And in hindsight, for all the talk of damage out or how good so an so it theres something i have since found lost to this game alot of times and thats pure functionality to the group. This story, that raid at that time, was not gonna be salvaged by the best heals, or the best tank, or best troll etc. not by themselves. It took someone who could watch the team, time the deaths to be in position to score the pickups and salvage the failed raid. It was awesome to be the one to do it and by far one of my best accomplishments in the game thus far and by extension one of my favorite memories!
  18. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

That isn't Grodd. It's one of his generals. As for walk in alerts, yep. Same with Arkham. Better yet, there used to be an open world mission in South Gotham that used to show up in your journal as a solo but it was most definitely not a solo. LOL. I also remember being able to warp to Outer from a terminal in the Watchtower. I got in, destroyed the first few probes, rounded a corner, and saw several probes that destroyed me in quick fashion. This too showed up as a solo in your journal.
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I have a few really fun ones (by 'fun' it usually means a nasty 3 hour run that finally finishes....no better feeling than that). Old slog fests like FOS1-2, Nexus, Gates that sometimes would take forever with several roster changes by the end of the run always felt good to finish...although at the time they just seemed like excessive adds, hallways, whatever....

I'd say EO, but I got that when Dox was 1 DLC old, so it was not as impressive as if it was done 'at level'. Still a great accomplishment at the time, and it took several attempts since 1 wipe or even a few deaths in the group pretty much meant disbanding.

Gates 1st and last boss were always great team exercises...which is my favorite part of the game...taking a random bunch of people and getting them to work towards a single goal vs just trying to 'top the board'. That 1st boss you needed someone to run spears or it was a fail...you needed a tank, healer and troll all doing their jobs to control the adds so people could run the cogs. Last boss same thing, you couldn't just burn the boss... you had to take out the 4 adds that animated 1/2 way through....you had to dodge the 'pancakes' on the ground.

Honestly one of my favorite examples of this was the 1st year run of the CC event when the 5 min feat was difficult. We were running the 'raid' daily that year as it was a daily reset and would try every time and fail. I started talking to several of the people I'd see doing it each day and we then started forming groups. Got very close but would miss just by a few seconds. I did end up getting the feat on the last day of the event, but it was a great example of working as a team each 'close' try.

PVP Safehouse - Bomb disposal runs. 3 leaguemates and I were in trying to get one of us (don't remember who) their 100 count for safehouses and were unbeatable for something like 39 wins in a row. All on chat, game plan in place, we were taking down any who opposed us, including a few other 'league' groups we ran in to a few times. The only reason we stopped was because someone had to leave for RL stuff....otherwise we might have done all 100 that session.

Another one that seems trivial now was being on the first night for AF1 and finishing the TD alert. Crazy easy now, but that first night, with the previous DLC's gear, it took hours to get done with several statements of 'ok...this is the last try for me'....but then doing it just one more time anyway. I'm not usually a '1st' guy, but while we were not probably the first to finish it that day, I'd guess we were part of a handful who did. Saw lots of shouts in LFG for 'need X for TD last boss' that night, all night.

And yes...many, many of the best runs were just normal runs or doing feats but in chat with good people....either old or new friends. The game can be tedious(I'm looking at you bounties) but being able to hang out and shoot the breeze while doing it helps a lot.
  20. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Oh god, I remember TD like it was yesterday. It was so bad.. lol