Test Discussion GU139: Ability Balance Changes

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Mepps, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Please use this thread to discuss these balance changes!

Ability Balance Changes
    Fire - Absorb Heat
    • Fixed a bug causing Absorb Heat to preserve its HoT effect even when cancelled
    • Increased Healing by 20% per tick
      • Players were using a bug to gain more healing than intended by block canceling. The bug has been fixed but I adjusted the healing from the effect to compensate for the fix. Players that were cancelling will not see as big a decrease and players who used it as intended will receive a buff.
    Earth - Brick
    • Removed the FX indicating that you were sharing damage with brick
      • It's visually distracting for something that never falls off unless Brick dies, and we have several ways to show that to players that doesn't need to be messaged with an FX.
    • Removed Jackhammer and replaced with a new move called "Earthshatter"
      • Jackhammer was a strange move for Brick to cast since it often would lock him in place causing him to get himself killed from Area of Effect attacks.
    • New Ability: Earthshatter
      • Earthshatter: A fast Area of effect attack (same range as jackhammer), dealing roughly 2.2x damage vs. a single jackhammer hit, and provides brick with 5s of 25% damage mitigation
        • This was created to grant brick a fast and powerful move. Allowing him to move onto his next priority in his AI strat quickly, along with the short duration damage mitigation, should better protect him from errant damage effects.
    Earth - Crystal
    • Created a new variant of Shuriken Storm for Crystal and added it to Crystal's basic attack combo profile
      • The intent here is to help raise Crystal's Area of Effect potential, by granting them a new move.
    Sorcery - Fury/Watcher/Guardian
    • Removed FX
      • It's visually distracting so it has been removed to improve clarity.
    Sorcery - Fury
    • Replaced Pulse Beam (Handblaster Channel) from their Basic attack combo profile with Scissor kick (Handblaster Combo)
      • Pulse Beam was a rather long channel that could get Fury killed by channeling it, so it was replaced with a similar move from the Handblaster tree.
    • Like x 12
  2. Jcal Dedicated Player

Oh. My. God! This is obviously a highly subjective topic, but I personally can't thank you enough for finally ridding us of Sorcery's pet auras! I can't even believe it. I've been Sorcery for 10 years now and I've despised the red aura from my first day. And you're telling me it's just gone? I can't ;_;

I also happen to be Earth and... wahooo! The Brick FX is gone too. Another W. Thanks again.
    • Like x 6
  3. NeoSelkie Active Player

Has this FX also been removed from the Rank D affinity mod for damage sharing?
    If not then please remove that FX as well, especially the Audio que part of it.

This FX and Audio que part have a longstanding bug where the FX would constantly re-apply after completing an action. This would result in the audio que playing every time you did a melee attack for example.
    I never found the trigger for the bug, but once it started it was infuriating to hear that sound constantly.
    • Like x 5
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Haha, I've been told once that my soul link robbed someone of their sound experience, they said it made them turn all their sound off, so I'm sure they'll be pleased.

I'm pleased with all these changes also.
    • Like x 3
  5. Emoney Dedicated Player

I get absorb heat was controversial....but here's the thing...

You've now eliminated it as a power for tanking. The cancel made it a viable healing move. As a Tank you can't do anything in that animation, as in countering, blocking etc. So, if we are stuck in that animation for the healing, it's a super risky move and I won't be using it. (Not that I used it as a Tank anyway because the risk of sometimes not being able to cancel it.) I used it for solo hybrid stuff, like bounties.

Then as a DPS, you use the damage and stay in the animation, the healing is minimal and not really a factor.

The ONLY use for it now is a situational hybrid scenario.

At this point, we should just drop the healing all together and make it just a stronger damage power. Or, go the other way and make a new, instant HoT.
    • Like x 2
  6. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Increasing the healing by 20% and the Defense increase from wearing Empowered Channeling, how does that eliminate it from a power for tanking o_O it was already the strongest self heal in the game before the increase.
    • Like x 5
  7. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

This is very interesting!

While you're at it - any possibly of toning down the crazy visual clutter from Electricity's "Electrocute" power? Just figured I'd throw this out there if you guys are looking at switching up stuff in the powersets and reducing visual clutter...

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 7
  8. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Was I the only one who like Fury using Pulse Beam??

I was using Pulse Beam
    Fury was using Pulse Beam
    Together we were double Pulse Beaming EEViLLL Enemies. ;)

Doesn't really matter.
    I have fun with it.... but doesn't matter if it gets changed. ;)
    • Like x 2
  9. Emoney Dedicated Player

Because, again, in order to recieve that healing now, WE MUST stay in the channel. The empowered channeling is not the issue. I'm not worried about getting knocked out of it lol, it's about doing tank stuff on the fly, like countering, blocking, pulling etc. None of that can be done in the channel. If I start the channel and now have to cancel it to do something else, I lose the heal and spent power. It's not worth it. At least before we could get the HoT. I'd rather just have a new, instant use HoT. No tank was ever standing there letting the channel run its course, you know that, I know that. The slow mobility alone is bad, but not being able to do anything else in that time is critical.
    • Like x 2
  10. CGEMINI Well-Known Player

Glad these health exploits are getting changed. Hope the devs are aware of the others. Thanks!
  11. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Why duplicate what Fire already has in SF and BD? I didn't mention empowered channeling in fear of getting knocked out of the channel lol im talking about the defense boost, which you wouldn't have had cancelling AH before. Of course its a situational move that is why you didn't even see AH on alot of fire loadouts before. I could pull up youtube right now and look at 3 or 4 recent "fire guides" and none will have AH in the loadout they use.
    • Like x 1
  12. Emoney Dedicated Player

Which is why I said, now, it's totally eliminated. There's zero use for it as a Tank. Who cares about the defense boost if you get one shot in the channel cuz ya couldn't move or counter. Or your team mates die because you can't pull newly spawned adds. At least before, it could be used if someone was good about the cancel, now, naw, no tank will be using it. And if you are arguing this point, please make a video of you tanking elite or elite plus with absorb heat and not canceling.

Further if someone isn't using it in tank stance with the healing buff, then why have healing tied to it at all? Seems to me its irrelevant either way, Snuff Out does the channel damage better, and other healing powers do that side better. It's basically a wasted power now.
    • Like x 3
  13. Canadian Justice Committed Player

I can only speak for how I fire tank but here's my thoughts:

Absorb Heat in tank stance is a very situational move. I use it for high damage boss fights or in certain instances where no healer is present. I see no reason to change how I use the power. In the event I need to stop the channel, the healing loss is a fair trade-off.

And speaking or stopping the channel... any chance getting stuck in the channel is fixed? I know you can easily prevent getting stuck in it but it would be nice to not have to choose between weapon taps and mobility or getting stuck in the channel.
    • Like x 4
  14. Bubbla Active Player

The cancel issue should be fixed for sure. I am glad they fixed that bug. Fire works just fine channeling through the whole thing. You can use that movement effectively if you know how and that 20% buff should’ve really nice. As Canadian Justice said it is a situation power at best. Fire in the last couple of dlc didn’t need ah to complete plus. I did it a couple times in each dlc for fun. In the elite raids you want to use it in it learn the mechs and you should be fine
  15. Emoney Dedicated Player

You are glad a tank is made weaker by this? Like, from a raid perspective why would anyone be glad viable healing is removed and making a tank less functional?

Or is this a dueling perspective? That seems to make more sense.
    • Like x 2
  16. Canadian Justice Committed Player

Doesn't look like getting stuck in Absorb Heat was fixed. :(
    • Like x 4
  17. Kestral Committed Player

I was also never happy with the FX when summoning Fury/Watcher/Guardian we almost got rid of it during the revamp and then it got brought back at the last minute.

I will be a bit sad about the loss of Pulse Beam for Fury. The Scissor kick move is a bit awkward and ugly on the pet. But this is not a major deal for me I'm sure I'll get used to it over time.
  18. Bubbla Active Player

It’s more healing, you just can’t cancel any more. Let’s look at the current raid. The only times first boss I wouldn’t pop it is on her aoe 1 shot which you have plenty of time on. 2nd boss I would pop that basically all the time unless I was kiting on the second phase. Last boss literally group adds and sit in the middle popping it. I’m not getting cc’d or knocked down or anything and I’m getting silly amounts of healing. I see this as a total win.
    • Like x 2
  19. FireJRStorm New Player

So can we talk about Fires "Shield" or lack there of, Immolation should be changed to an actual shield. Fire Tanks already get a lot of flack and Immolation being the way it is doesn't help at all.
    • Like x 1
  20. Jcal Dedicated Player

YESSS! PLEASE!!

Electrocute is insufferable while tanking. I can't see anything.
    • Like x 5