DCUO Development Update - August 2023

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE - AUGUST 2023

Heroes. Villains. Allies. Enemies. Civilians. Magic users. Please read on for your August 2023 Development Update to learn more about what the team has been up to and what's next for DC Universe Online.

What follows are our plans laid out as transparently as possible based what we know or expect to be true - as of right now.

Plans can always change.

NEWS

If you do not read this whole update, here's what you need to know:
    • Episode 46 is Justice League Dark Cursed
    • PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X launch this holiday season
    Let's catch up on what we have been working on.

PREVIOUSLY ON DCUO: JANUARY-JULY

The first half of 2023 marched by to the familiar beat of seasonal events. Episode 45: Shock to the System launched in April, featuring the Milestone Universe, Dakota City, and characters Static and Rocket for the first time.

Doctor Fate was relentless is his mission to add new monthly rewards. We found new allies in Static, Shazam, General Zod, and Poison Ivy.

We also saw the release of the new emotes feature, several new and returning bundles, the name reclaim, and, wait for it, the Superman Anniversary Emblem celebrating 85 years. This one is important to note, because you must log in and unlock your emblem from Tempus Fuginaut (in the House of Legends) before the end of 2023!

NEXT ON DCUO: AUGUST-DECEMBER

Heading into the rest of the year, we have a full slate. We just saw the start of the Save the Universe event (up-leveled classic content with modern challenge), which runs into September, and this week we will see the new Blue Beetle ally.

The Homecoming event then arrives in September, followed by the Witching Hour in October and Season's Greedings in December. We'll of course have new allies, artifacts, and time capsules, too.

Most importantly, we have two major announcements to round out this development update. Episode 46: Justice League Dark Cursed will launch this October and DC Universe Online will launch on latest-generation consoles PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X this holiday season!

[IMG]

Episode 46: Justice League Dark Cursed

A powerful curse is burning through the world's most powerful magic users, escalating their powers to dangerously violent extremes! Hoping Batman can take on the hard work, John Constantine's transported his House of Mystery to overlook Gotham Cemetery, where he and it are now under attack.

Who - or what - is the source of this terrible curse? Is magic itself doomed? Will Constantine’s cheeky imposition land him in hot water with the Caped Crusader? Constantine and Zatanna have personally asked for your help.

In JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK CURSED, players will join forces with Batman and members of the Justice League Dark to put an end to this threat to all magic.

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK CURSED:
    • JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK CURSED will offer normal and elite versions of On Duty content, with level-agnostic event versions available for a limited time.
    • The content will include open world missions, a solo, an alert, and a raid.
    • The episode will feature DC characters including Batman, Wonder Woman, Zatanna, John Constantine, Deadman, Hecate, and more.
    • The storyline will follow the events of and serve as an indirect sequel to the acclaimed Episode 34: Justice League Dark.
    • The episode will launch new player rewards, including gear, styles, and more.
    EPISODE 46: JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK CURSED will launch in October 2023 on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

DC Universe Online on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

DCUO is headed to the latest-generation of consoles with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X this holiday season!
    Along with the performance gains found playing natively on the latest and greatest hardware, the team is also working on gameplay and quality of life improvements to match. This initiative is a long-term endeavor that is already underway. You will see some of these improvements launch over the next few months prior to release on the new consoles, some of them at launch, and some of them following over the course of next year. Stay tuned for a future update with more information.

Now, you may be wondering what this means for playing DCUO with your friends, and let us assure you right away that whether you choose to move to the latest console or stay on your current one, you will still be playing on the same servers with your same characters and friends, and with all of your purchases and achievements seamlessly intact. All you need to do is log in with the same PSN or Xbox account once you have downloaded the game on your new system.

Are you ready to experience DCUO like never before? Us too.

CALENDAR

If paragraphs are not your thing, maybe calendars are!

[IMG]

Thank you for reading! Please join the discussion on the official forums with any questions and let us know what you want to see in 2024.
    • Like x 25
  2. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

SUPER AWESOME! YAY

*Hugs Mepps*
    • Like x 4
  3. Eve YouTuber

Looking forward to the new episode. If Batman is in this episode, does it mean he got recasted already?

Also thank you for posting the dev update finally. Made my day a little better today. :)
    • Like x 5
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We were able to record this episode with Kevin Conroy before his passing. While there may in theory be something in the archives for us to use later on down the road in some small way, this is effectively his final performance with us.
    • Like x 37
  5. Alexios New Player

Can’t wait for the update for next gen. The new episode sounds awesome as well. I did have a question I wanted to ask, have you guys ever thought about allowing people to transfer characters from one account to another? The reason I’m asking is because a while back my little brother was given my PlayStation account and he now uses it to play all his games on there but doesn’t play DCUO ever and unfortunately that account has my character which has been around since the beginning.
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We have considered it for PC accounts, but even there it was problematic for a lot of ways technically. We don't have a way to realistically achieve this with our partners, so we have not pursued it.
    • Like x 5
  7. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

This is some awesome news. I am so looking forward to this and all the amazing things the end of the year brings. Thanks for the update and for continuing to make the game better
    • Like x 4
  8. Eve YouTuber

I'm so glad to hear that, one more adventure with the best Batman

[IMG]
    • Like x 13
  9. Jcal Dedicated Player

Very happy to hear we'll be tangoing with the occult once again. Batman and Wondy are coming along too? *chef's kiss* I can't wait to see the new styles and goodies y'all have cooked up. And FINALLY... the new clients! It's been such a looong wait. Oh I can't wait to hear more about these mysterious new changes.

So. Many. Questions.
    • Like x 3
  10. Whoru Level 30

That Update is so disappointing only one more DLC this year + no SM there is nothing to be happy about this year. There was nothing good this year the last DLC was mid, bcs the raid is only a box wich seems like no effort atall (bcs the raid is the main content of a DLC) and then only one more DLC for the rest of the year I mean its one year 2DLC´s and nothing else? I hope next year is more exiting it doesnt feel like its worth putting time into the game rn. 5-6months for one DLC is way too long when u see everyone maxed out after 2month :/ I still hope u guys get the curve putting out new good stuff bcs u now have more staff members.
    • Like x 3
  11. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Nice! Glad to hear that we will be getting one more adventure with Kevin Conroy's Batman. I will likely return from my current break from the game in October for the episode and Halloween seasonal.

Will there be elite plus versions of the raid (and maybe alert) released at a later time?
    • Like x 1
  12. BumblingB I got better.

Thank you for the update. Not really pleased with more magic themed episodes, but I know JLD was popular. So doing a JLD2 would make sense.

The timeline is very light, so hopefully events and what not will help with the dry spell between 46 and 47, which appears to be sometime in Q2 next year.

This one cuts deep. Rest in Peace Kevin. You were the best.
    • Like x 8
  13. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I wonder if they will add a memorial cut scene in honor of Kevin Conroy or some form of honor of his memory?
    • Like x 5
  14. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

Cant wait for the ps4 to phase out in a few years.
    • Like x 3
  15. DAnomalous Level 30

Love it. Hope to see the Wonder Woman styles from The Witching Hour cross over comic, some related artifacts to the characters in the episode and either a Zatanna or Deadman ally
    • Like x 4
  16. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Yes, it was like saying good bye to an old friend when I replaced mine with the PS5
    • Like x 1
  17. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Sounds great which there was another two episodes coming but JLD2 I'm so looking forward to as JLD1 was one of my favorite episodes. I wished we were getting two raids again but no deal breaker. I am Hyped definitely looking forward to everything.
    • Like x 2
  18. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

If the switch port never came out wed been in a better place.
    • Like x 2
  19. Loki2911 Well-Known Player

Yay i ....cant....believe it...honestly ...I CANT -.-
  20. Popeyes Active Player

ok mepps I like what I'm seeing. I can't wait to finally be on the ps5 version on dc and to also play the new dlc o there very very exciting. Now I have one question will survival mode come out next year??????????
    • Like x 2