Name Reclaim: Update & Delay

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, May 11, 2023.

1. DarkMugetsu New Player

would perfer the following Thursday. Give time and opportunity for some of us to be able to put in a vacation day or unpaid time off if the window from the next name reclaim date announcement is big enough.
  2. Stag Active Player

Loll what omg xDDDDDDDDDDDD
  3. Starburst Active Player

Off topic but Mepps, I saw your reply in that BLM thread from earlier today and I just wanna say - I love you.
    • Like x 1
  4. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

I would prefer not announce the date and make it a surprise
  5. BigSlasha New Player

so what about banned accounts? will those names be for grabs since they literally cant log on
  6. myandria Item Storage

Well, in my opinion, I hope not. The names on banned accounts should be banned and unavailable. This keeps the playing field for names fair for everyone. There would be no accusations or misconceptions about players getting banned names unfairly; those names would be gone forever. Another point; making banned account names unavailable will keep name hoarders and resellers at bay, and will prevent the former account holder from "buying back" any of those names.

Suggestion: Devs, please consider making names on banned accounts unavailable to anyone and perform the action quietly on their side. It is already in the TOS that they have full and final discretion with the game, so it should not be out of their bounds to do so.
  7. bradleymsimmons Well-Known Player

Huh? Why does this make sense? Please explain. If an account was banned for say Speed Hacking, why shouldn't their names be placed in the reclaim pool if they meet the "not logged in by" date? It should all be about the log-in date. Not whether or not simply an account is banned.
    • Like x 1
  8. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

So, banned accounts should be privileged to always keep their names even if they've been banned for years? Why would they treat banned account holders better than everyone else that's not logged in within the past year?

PS: Devs, please, please, please let me buy a few more character slots! 36 would be a sweet new maximum for members to buy.
    • Like x 5
  9. EsperZeru New Player

Tbh if your account is banned you was banned for a reason doing something you shouldn't of been doing and who knows how many times or accounts you could have banned so imo if you cant keep your name due to being banned thn i have a future suggestion dont get banned and learn from your mistake the only people tht should get any priority if Daybreak was gonna do one it should be for subscribers not banned accounts XD you made your bed so sleep in it
  10. the solowing Steadfast Player

I think releasing a banned name would be a good idea. It allows the name to go back into the open pool as well as serves as a double punishment as a player won't be able to just get their name back. So either they take care of it or they just lose it
    • Like x 2
  11. Miserable Dedicated Player

There's not much sense in this post.

To your first point, this could apply just as well to inactive names. The accusations are irrelevant, only the truth matters. Either something happened or it didn't. If it didn't, there's no issue. If it did, it could have just as easily happened with an inactive name. There's nothing particularly special about banned names in this scenario.

To your second point, this would have no effect on name hoarders/sellers. The vast majority of freed up names are going to be from inactive non-banned accounts. And how does a banned player wanting to buy their old name affect anyone else?
  12. BlackGryphon Well-Known Player

I vote that banned account names be released along with other inactive account names; not that this is a democracy or anything.
  13. MisfitCircusInc New Player

Banned Accounts by default should have names released back into the wild if they haven’t logged on in a year. That’s a given.

I think the real issue is how to prevent the hoarding and, even worse, the selling of names through 3rd parties. I think a simple 90-day waiting period from the time a name is released until it is able to be available to be used to name another character would go a long way towards crippling the name selling market, and by association, the hoarding of names that goes along with it. You’ll have a tough time convincing someone to illegally purchase a toon name that can’t be accessed for another 90 days ‍♂️.
  14. the solowing Steadfast Player

To be honest you won't be able to stop a sellers market as long as the buyers market exists.

But names I would in the system similar to ff old housing system where a name could be held and released within 36 hours randomly to discourage it'd by name sellers
  15. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Isn't it enough to just not participate in the buying and selling of names? What do you get out of advocating for the market's demise? Is it just names you don't like being bought and sold, or is it the idea of buying and selling in general you find so distasteful?
    • Like x 1
  16. the solowing Steadfast Player

Name selling is just...Like seriously? Youre trying to swipe up names to sell based on perceived value?

Its not a service, its not a item/good you crafted.. Its taking a name out of a pool to slap a price tag on it to release the name.

synonyms of ransom
    : a consideration paid or demanded for the release of someone or something from captivity
    • Like x 1
  17. Miserable Dedicated Player

I can definitely understand people against name trading, as long as they're not using it as an argument against name reclaims, because there's no logic in that. I'd be okay with changes to discourage name hoarding, but I haven't heard anything close to a perfect solution.
    • Like x 1
  18. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Yep. Two people coming together to freely and happily exchange items of value where each party walks away feeling happy and better off. Its a beautiful thing. And, its going to happen despite how other people feel about it. As it should.
  19. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Yea, nothing more beautiful than the happiness in the face of a kidnapper after they receive the ransom money for their hostage and both parties get to walk off safely. :I
  20. Miserable Dedicated Player

Plenty of people have happily bought names. And why are you using an analogy that suggests the name belonged to the buyer in the first place?

Also, how would you stop name trading? You're not going to change people's behaviour so you'd have to make it impossible to trade names. How would you do that?
    • Like x 1