DCUO - Let's discuss Emblems/Emblem Feats in Time Capsules

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheLQ-DCUO, Feb 24, 2023.

1. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

We have a lot, A LOT of feats just tied to emblems alone from time capsules.

We have some in the more cosplay side of the community who are interested in certain emblems.

However, do we really need more emblems in future time capsules, and certainly with feats attached?

For me personally, I have never used an emblem from a time capsule as a visible style on any of my characters. Most of the players I play with also don't use emblems much, especially those from time capsules.

To the devs: How much of your time/resources do you spend working on emblems for time capsules?

To the players: What emblem styles from time capsules (if any) did you like, and do you use them actively on the character/s you play on while playing DC Universe Online?

To both: In the future could we approach emblems differently? Have them drop in another way, with significantly less feats or feat points for emblems going forward?

Let me know your thoughts in the comments.
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Emblems let us go really deep into whatever DC theme or character we're working with for the capsules or the episode they tie into, and they also take significantly less time to create than most of the other rewards. That's why most capsules have emblem sets.
    • Like x 11
  3. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Thanks for your input.

I do have a million dollar question for you (the dev team). Do these emblems all need to have feats/feat points attached, and is this open to changes in future time capsules?
    • Like x 1
  4. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

As far as Skill Points from Capsules go - I don't mind the emblems. They're quite cheap and easy to buy on broker - I managed to get all of the ones granting SP in less than 6 months on EUPS/PC, having paid more than 20 million for only one, "Enhanced Flashpoint Flash" - which was the last one I needed and since most of them cost me 1-5million I decided to splash out and be done with them.
    Now I occasionally buy the cheapest ones for my new alts to get them some quick SP.

My one gripe with them are the older Enhanced ones that don't give SP, only titles (do people actually use those?). I managed to buy only a few and quite cheaply, but it took some research and I imagine that can be quite confusing for many.

Of course, I never used any of them and have no idea what most of them look like. I'm sorry for not taking the time to appreciate someone's work... ;)
  5. Proxystar #Perception

As far as emblems go I don't care that they're made, styles of any nature are subjective, if we're going to start questioning the relevancy of creating emblems we can start to question the relevancy of literally any single cosmetic in the game.

As for the feats in capsules, I told you lot this the moment these things were launched, but no one wanted to listen to me then and only now they see the problem. Feats should never have been in capsules and if they were they should've been significantly less all round.
    • Like x 1
  6. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Hmmm... Dumb question: why do we care about TC feats/SP? They're not really needed, because you can get plenty SP from anywhere else and those 115 SP hardly make a difference, if you're over 600 anyway. Is it because some people feel they absolutely MUST have every feat in the game?
    • Like x 1
  7. Proxystar #Perception

I think if people are being intellectually honest, they'll accept that SP prey on a persons completionist mentality, some people are better at letting the Pokemon-esque OCD not overwhelm them.
    • Like x 2
  8. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yeah... I still see people sometimes complaining, that they can't get "Back From The Hack". That kind of petty obsession just blows my mind.
    • Like x 5
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I’ve been rockin’ the Futuristic Drone accessory since it came out and switch up the emblem “face” every so often, sometimes with TC emblems. The the ones I do tend to go back to and use most often on the drone are one from the Atlantis TC (enhanced circular motion symbol one), the one that has the EKG looking zig-zag motion line (other parts blacked out) which is also from a TC and the computing looking one that drops from Calculator bot. On my battletroll LO, I use the enhanced Cosmic Boy back which has an emblem slot and I just figured out a way to make the enhanced Isis emblem (also from a TC) look pretty dope with it. Though my buff troll has that old school enhanced heroic meta emblem (three glowing circles) on the chest and shoulders (mera shoulders) but that’s intended more to look like it’s part of the chest & shoulders style as it looks like illuminated lights/buttons in his cyber-suit as opposed to an emblem.

A lot of the emblems can be manipulated to look very different from the base design by playing with the colors and/ir blacking out parts of them. One can get pretty creative with them. But if a player is one of those “void-ed out from head to toe except a phoenix mat face bandana, an oversized NSF mat backback topped with the Crown of Solomon” kind of players, I can see why emblems don’t tickle their fancy.

As for the feats? I always look at them like Christmas came early! They’re arguably the easiest feats to obtain in the game. Gimme some mo’! I do find it peculiar that two of the most common complaints are that the clamp makes old elite feats unobtainable for many and that Time Capsules contain feats, all but one of which are super easy to get. To me it soulds like a case of the DC gods giveth and they taketh.
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Other than the one 50pt feat attached to the rarest collection, I have no idea how people think TC feats are hard to obtain. Even back when I typically didn’t have a lot of DC cash (<50M), if I used all the stabilizers I’d saved up on the first day and sold everything I got, I could just wait a week or even less and buy everything for the feats and still come out having made $20-$40M. Now I tend to have a lot more DC cash and can afford to be more impatient. But it’s still quite possible to get all the feats AND make some dough.
    • Like x 3
  11. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

I actually enjoy trading on broker (I did enjoy it more when broker wasn't quite so... broken). Hunting those capsule Skill Points has been a fun game in itself for me over the past 6-7 months and now I'm missing only a few pieces to complete the last 3 TC gear-sets (not counting the ones with "starless" feats) and only because I'm too stingy to pay over 15 million for any piece (most I got for under 1-5mill). The collections are a bit more of a pain, because there are so many of them and there's no way to easily search for them with one key phrase. But I'm slowly completing those too. I'll worry about the rarest collections some time in the future, if at all.

And I managed to buy some "whale-vomit" - stacks of 20-50 TC gear pieces for 10-20 mill, that I've been selling individually with huge profit and using to gear up my alts.

I don't get what the fuss is about, but then - I'm not a completionist, I don't need to have more SP than my leaguemates and I don't care about any particular styles. If I can't have the Cybernetic skin right now - that's fine. I want to enjoy a game, not play dress-up with my dolls.
    • Like x 1
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

But at this point we are getting about 16-20 per set and can only wear 1...or none depending on what gear you are using. I realize you CAN create all these emblems, but if there are more than we can ever use, and (apparently) 90% don't get used, why not make a smaller number, but with a bit more time spent on each for ones people might really take advantage of? Many seem to come off more as filler to make the set larger, and for enhanced ones, generate a few more SP points.

Do you have a way to see what styles are in use? It would be interesting to see how many of the 100s of emblems from TCs are completely unused or if others are used by a LOT (like iconic looking emblems surely are).
  13. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

We need more emblems.

More... always... always more. :)

It would be nice to get a bunch of Superman emblems.
    If the actual Superman emblem is not possible because of DC.... plenty of alternatives....
    Red Son Superman.... Kingdom Come Superman.... Bizarro.... and More!!! ;)

There is a whole bunch of Bat emblems that could be done.

Heck... the Legion of Super-Heroes have enough emblems for a dozen Time Capsules. ;)

There is plenty of emblems that could be added tot he game...... assuming DC does say it's ok..... of course. ;)
  14. bboy-rei Well-Known Player

They're definitely a good source of building up SP, although with the inflated US economy it's taking a while to collect them all.

As for not using them, it's not any different from style feats that you invest in, some costing hundreds of marks that you end up never using.

The time capsule ones that I've ended up using before were FP WW, Black Canary, and Misfit which were substitutes for a Nightwing emblem, while one I use consistently for my main toon is the Donna Troy emblem with the Super Rebellious Jacket.
  15. Capt. Retro Well-Known Player

Out of all the feats that come out of Time Capsules, emblem feats are some of the easier ones to get throughout the life of the Capsule. The broker gets flooded with both regular and enhanced and it allows everyone to have a chance to get not only the Emblems, but a nice batch of feat points that is easy enough to acquire.

For what it's worth, this TC had some really nice looking enhanced emblems.
  16. myandria Item Storage

Hmmm...

If this were to happen in this game, the RNG for getting much wanted items would be worse. The devs would have to apply those feats elsewhere while tweaking the time capsules to have more desirable items in them so players will purchase them.

Also, if the emblem feats are removed then the TC's should not have feats at all for any items, in my opinion; why go halfway? I am sure there are other in game items/sets that those feat points could be applied to. If the shinies from a TC look good enough, players will not care if there isn't a feat attached to them; they will just want the items. In my opinion, I think many players would appreciate that despite the increased RNG Spirit foolishness.
  17. Eve YouTuber

I was wondering if DC Also not allowing the return of the OG Wonder Woman emblem, or this is the Dev Team choice as it was a gift during Summer 2017, if I am correct?
    • Like x 1
  18. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I remember years ago being told we would never get new emblems and here we are.

Out of all the time capsule emblems I only use one changing the og moon emblem to the Dr.Midnight emblem on my main. The other emblems I do use are all og from the games launch.

This is not to say I don't like any of the emblems we've received since they began incorporating them into the game. It's just none of them work for my characters.

I would love a plain old classic Kid Flash lightning bolt as far as iconics go. Outside of that some more generic type things we can own would be nice. A few different star and starburst patterns, some different lightning bolt designs, some dragons and a large lion head.

The goth earring accessory was a nice addition despite needing to go with a short hairstyle to see it. The Catwoman emblem is basically a necklace. Would be nice to get a few necklace styles to slot as an emblem...

Somehow getting them to work with materials and chromas would be genius.
  19. Rainnifer Committed Player

I think asking for less emblems but with "more time spent on them" wouldn't really work out how you expect. Emblems are so simple and often times people would want them to be simple so they can be used in smart ways. Having more emblems made would mean we get even more options for potential combinations. If they made less I think it would have the same result of those just not being used, especially if they end up being so over the top and specific. (Kind of like those animated pixel emblems lol)

We need more generic shape emblems (and enhanced versions) that can help us with our own character's identities or designs instead of specific emblems from already existing characters
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I honestly wouldn't care either way. However it just seems like padding on the TCs and SP....something we don't really need any more of at this point. It feels like 'catch em all' bait for those of us who want to get everything done more than anything useful....like the basic shape emblems you mention.