Freezing Breath Artifact

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Kayla El, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Kayla El Committed Player

Hello DCUO Team and Community,

I want to ask all of you how do you feel about an artifact that enhances the iconic power Freezing Breath the same way Solar Amplifier enhances the iconic power Heat Vision? For those of you who like this idea, let's use our imagination and help out the developers to come up with some unique bonuses that will make Freezing Breath an even more powerful and useful power! Thank you all and let's hope our thoughts reach the developers eyes and ears!

Kind Regards,
    Kayla El
    • Like x 3
  2. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I love freezing breath, it's fantastic in might AoE rotations, I would welcome something like this for sure.

Few points:
    - we already have two sources of empowered channeling (solar amp, superman ally), maybe not do that here
    - it hits really hard as is, maybe not tweak ability base damage too much then
    • Like x 1
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I don't have a real issue with suggestion just a fear that then it will becoming one more way the meta is changed to make all powers the same as single target there are still many that have to have heat vision in their loadouts. if we keep boosting all the iconics it seems like that will be the only thing that people use

everyone just running only using iconics making everyone the same

but outside of that, whatever floats your boat
    • Like x 2
  4. Kayla El Committed Player

Personally i don't really care that much about the meta and the scoreboard, just you know having fun with whatever loadout or powers i choose, of course i still want to do good damage to not be a drag for my league mates, and they don't have to make it so that it becomes the new meta, just adding some fun and useful bonuses so we can enjoy it even more then we already do!
    • Like x 1
  5. Kayla El Committed Player

What i would personally love to see, is a decrease in cooldown from 6 seconds to 3 seconds, just like Heat Vision, to be able to use both powers, one after another repeatedly, without the need for an in between power or a weapon attack! :)
  6. Ranmaru Developer

I and the team think about stuff like this all the time, Iconics are very fun and flavorful. The biggest goal when making an artifact out of an iconic ability is trying to focus in on what it does best.

For Freezing Breath I find it to be a strong AoE type damage dealing ability, if I had to make an artifact for it I would probably focus on it making you stronger depending on how many targets you hit, perhaps empowering the next cast of freezing breath based on how many hits you did.

Another thought would be to make it like an AoE finisher Attack so that it could have greater synergy with artifacts that synergize with the [finisher] type keyword.

As always this isn't anything set in stone just taking a moment to muse about artifacts and my thought process on them.
    • Like x 13
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Balance is always my first concern when a new artifact approaches. Versatility, synergy, coordination with other artifacts, whilst not creating a new "required" artifact (looking at you solar amp for ST).

A big hope I have, with upcoming artifacts, is something flashy, something that shows the artifact is building up, but nothing too audible *coughs* like Quislet. A little pizzazz if you will lol.
  8. FoolsFire Devoted Player

-- Killer Frost Artifact --

If something gets really cold it's usually more susceptible to something else. Heat it too fast and it breaks. Hit it with something hard and it shatters. What if the Freeze Breath Artifact (FBA) has the unique ability to boost other powers being used. Examples...

ICE JACKING - CONTROLLER: Anything which explodes, crushes, grabs, etc... (Batarangs, Crushing, Hand Slap, Claw, etc...) gives an X% defense debuff when used during or directly after FBA for X seconds. (So, throw a Batarang, use FBA and when the Batarangs explode the debuff occurs. Or use FBA and then use the Hard Light Hand Slap.)

COALESCED - DPS: While FBA is active, slowly all other DOTs (from any power) are reduced in damage by X% while FBA's hits increase by X%. The final hit will burst forth a gust of icy cold wind at the target and surrounding enemies. (Think Spontaneous Combustion for FBA) This final hit will include an X% damage buff for next power/weapon hit for X seconds. --- This will give a greater advantage to those of us who like to have multiple DOTs going. The more you have, the greater the bonus as FBA goes on. And as for weapon hits, use FBA then do Flurry Shot for a buff on all the arrows which hit. This will help weapon attacks which use multiple hits.

FRIGID - TANK: NPCs and Bosses will have their movements slowed by X% even during lunges. -- So if a Boss gives a tell that they are going to lunge, the Tank uses FBA. The lunge will still occur but at a much slower rate. (Think Matrix bullet time!) It will also have the Spontaneous Combustion effect mentioned above. But will also include a push back. So use FBA on a boss and when SC occurs the gust will push the adds away from the boss slightly and distract them.

COLD HEART - HEALER: While Healer DOTs are active X% of damage is converted to group heals. This effect STACKS! So two healers will benefit from all Healer DOTs!
  9. Kayla El Committed Player

First of all i want to thank you very much for the response and the fact that you guys are thinking of making this possible! What i would personally love to see is a synergy between Freeze Breath and Heat Vision, nothing comes to my mind right now and i don't know if that's even possible, but i'm sure you guys will figure something out and deliver us an amazing artifact for this iconic power! Again i thank you very much for everything you guys are doing for this game and i wish you all the best! :)
    • Like x 1
  10. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Polar Amplifier would be great. :)
    • Like x 3
  11. Kayla El Committed Player

I love it, you nailed it and whatever the name will be i'm hoping that it will have a synergy with Solar Amplifier like for example if you use Freezing Breath or Heat Vision on enemies finishing them off with either Freezing Breath or Heat Vision will cause enemies to take critical damage and an increase in critical magnitude. This paired with the Transformation Card will make those Kryptonian oriented characters super effective and over powered! :p
    • Like x 1
  12. MisfitCircusInc New Player

While I don’t think everything needs to be super OP’d, I do like the possibilities of thinking outside the box when creating an artifact that’s based on an iconic power. I think these type of artifacts should continue to build upon what the Heart of Isis did for Word of Power rather than what Solar Amplifier did for Heat Vision.

There are definitely some cool possibilities when you think about it in this manner rather than must making the Iconic power deal more damage. Freezing Breath for example opens the possibilities of a Deep Freeze status effect (based on the number of times something is frozen, for example) that could provide lasting status effects (buffs, debuffs, whatever they may be), or the transformation into a new power (finishing move) when something reaches the Deep Freeze status.

Obviously this is a simplistic view of things, but I enjoy artifacts that allow you to be more effective when you strategize and are skilled as a player; as opposed to being simply OP’d and spamming 2 or 3 powers. Synergy with other artifacts (especially those outside the current Meta) is always a plus, as well. Or, even finding ways to reward players for using individual powers that are currently useless outside the current meta.

There are so many possibilities to be honest.

That said, the most useless Iconic Power at the moment is SuperStrength, I believe this specific power is in need of a re-work or artifact enhancement that would make it truly meaningful.
    • Like x 1
  13. DarkGodArkahn Level 30

nice i got you https://imgur.com/gallery/MfqtXvP go check that out its a cool concept of an art that needs to be made immediately
  14. Sghoul Well-Known Player

1) I do NOT want synergy with Heat Vision. That just means you will need to have both to optimize the artifact. I don't want to be forced to take a different iconic. Especially one that isn't thematically tied except that Superman has it.

2) To make it different than Solar Amp and not just the same artifact for a different power, what about it giving abilities like quicker speed. Meaning getting your ticks of damage goes faster so you aren't stuck in the animation as long. Or a Dot applied it you make it all the way to the end of the animation (no clipping).
    3) I wouldn't mind this kind of thing for all Iconics. And as I have said before, I wouldn't mind more iconics in general.
  15. Kayla El Committed Player

Don't get me wrong i don't want Freezing Breath's artifact to be for Solar Amplifier, like how The Strategist Card is for The Transformation Card, but something on a smaller scale, because i would like to use both powers in my loadout and seeing how one is best suited for ice and the other one for fire, i would love for them to work well together and at the same time independently regardless of what power you have, but this probably would require for Solar Amplifier to be reworked as well!
    • Like x 1
  16. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I absolutely love the idea
    • Like x 1
  17. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Love it and can't wait Feed us soon devs.
  18. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I would argue there is no must have artifacts just players saying there is.
    as I have a buddy with almost all of them and he is constantly playing with different combos of them and generally does great with many different combos of arts.

its really community perception that drives the meta not actual facts

but its fact that if specific streamers say something is the meta it will for sure become the meta to a large chuck of the games population

Edit: but as I posted in a earlier post I have that same fear or thought process with the meta as you stated. as anything they release strong will push that play style. and all it takes is a couple videos and then groups will start being forced to use it. and were back to all being the same again
    • Like x 2
  19. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Well said … I know a lot won’t agree with you … i think … and this is my perspective from before when I used to play more competitively before I left for a long time… I would be so stressed if I wasn’t doing the Meta… feeling like I was holding the team back … now I play casually use what I want for the most part and I am enjoying the game much more
    • Like x 1
  20. not serious Well-Known Player

I'm not against an ice blast artifact, but the game would definitely need a precision art this time because there are almost none, a hypnotic lasso artifact would be more than welcome as a precision artifact to give more alternative to just using dervish

.and then yes release another artifact for might