It's time for an honest conversation Devs - What are you doing?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Proxystar #Perception

I entirely appreciate what you're saying and the examples I gave were really just examples, they were not by any means an exhaustive list, what I was really getting at, was that there's a plethora of content in the DC comics universe and for 2.5 years we've focused on almost exclusively one story arc, with one set of characters.

I understand entirely that story line preference is subjective and have openly admitted that my distaste for metal in general has probably jaded my view, however, there's also truth in the statement that if a person likes oranges and they eat too many oranges, they're probably still going to get sick of oranges if they eat too many :)
    • Like x 1
  2. Tolly Committed Player

I couldn't have said it better, GG the author and I fully agree with you on your statements.

On the other hand, I allow myself to add an additional return for the paying powers to which I find more and more abandoned by the devs, with the exception of certain favorite powers, some can not even follow the big powers of the moment at the point. to be abandoned in DPS and reduced to playing their secondary role...

But the most annoying thing is for combo or long attack powers and in particular, light, where this one is a little more particular than the other direct combo powers (the latter must sometimes maintain a certain power for a few seconds ) and who can hardly execute a build properly anymore, because it becomes more and more difficult to achieve, because the bosses carry out big attacks and sometimes, with barely a few seconds of difference between each attack or attack zone of boss.
  3. Eve YouTuber

I shared my thoughts on the metal saga in my latest Talking DCUO. It was dragged for too long. I also discussed it with league mates, I feel like one of the things that got me not to log in was how repetitive everything felt. I just hope that when we move away from Metal now, we will see better results. My league leader said "It's really hard to lead a league when you don't have any motivation or enjoying the game, and everything is just repetitive." not even the new episode got them to log in as much as they thought they will.

PvP, at least on Legends side, adding new maps and Legends can make a lot of difference. And fix some of the bugs there. It is more playable than arenas as of now, but still some Legends can be seen as overpowered. But I don't think they can keep PvP f2p with the speedhackers and updates that maybe they will do one day. (Unlikely)

Two things I want to bring to the table:
    LPVE is also dead, I swear we hit like pillows and nothing was ever done about adjusting the damage there. Make it abit more interesting to play, revamp it as a whole. Heck, add roles. Add LPVE Duos, solos and raids. Again, NEW LEGENDS, NEW MODELS. I know most ppl prefer to play with their own character, but as long as they can make it fun, challenging and interesting, I don't see why not give LPVE some love.

Seasonals, so we are getting one new seasonal, which is exciting now - but will end being repetitive again. And I think, despite them saying that it takes alot of resources, it was worth considering refreshing the Seasonals. MAYBE just new missions, revamp the on duty, idk. Doesn't have to be a whole new story. But you can add missions like they did with Mera in Valentine's event.

The thing that keeps me hopeful is the big update in 2023. My hope for it to be ALOT of new content, revamp of old systems, bugs fixing, etc. But I am probably too hopeful here, idk.

I think we can all agree that we really love this game, and we don't want to feel like we are not enjoying it anymore (Which is what happening).
    • Like x 5
  4. Rejchadar Inquisitor

You just don’t say this in front of your wife ... otherwise I’m afraid it will not be interpreted the way you would like ... maybe it won’t show, but it will remember, oh, it will remember your words :D :D :D
    • Like x 1
  5. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

If we’re going to get recycled/reused assets, they should just go back to the monthly content release like the short trial run a few years back. At least it’d be stand alone stories instead of waiting months and months. If they’re going to do 2-3 content releases we need more effort than this is all I’m saying.
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Dear God no.
    • Like x 3
  7. EconoKnight XIII Legion

A month wasn’t enough for development time. It really began to show near the end of that era (bug eyed Alura comes to mind).

Maybe they could make it work every two months. That would basically be taking the 4 month episode and splitting it into two parts. The first part could have an open world, raid 1 and a solo / duo. The second part could have an updated open world, raid 2 and an alert. But truly in the end we wouldn’t be getting more content; we would just get new content more often. I don’t know how satisfied people would be with that. I liked the pace of monthly releases, but many thought it was too hard to keep up with that grind.
  8. zNot Loyal Player

Whats causing the content or episode to have so little longevity? Since you guys talk about montlhy content (which i dont want) Is it the progression/gearing system thats causing this? How come paradox and nexus remained relevant for such a long time?
  9. Toshknight Loyal Player

The developers, have actually done pretty good, considering all the platforms, they have to put the same product on, specially when it comes to PC and PS4/ on the same servers, due to them basically running out of Virtual memory to add anything big, once the game is moved To Ps5, we won't see as many glass ceilings , and small world areas, we will get more powers, due to the PC/ PS servers being the main content/graphical /base platform all the content is created for.
    I'm obviously not a dev, I'm only a Hardware engineer, a drummer, crappy drawer, a ******* of all trades a master of nothing, but.

i know a little bit about how virtual memory / ram, storage space, frame rates, aspect ratio, little things work,
    So much of the content is being recycled and it begs the question "what are you doing with the development time?"

for instance, after they got done with this latest DLC, or "episode" not sure what they are doing anymore, "P.s Make a proper WOL 3" , i agree with this, but, i think i'm ok with it, cause of the items and missions / story they are telling, and that it came out so fast, but do to what my theory is on the recycling of areas, is plain obvious.

• Metal Part 1 **Dark Knights Story**
    • Metal Part 2 **Dark Knights Story**
    • Birds of Prey
    • Wonderverse **Dark Knights Story - because its about Perpetua still and the breaking wall**
    • Long Live the Legion
    • World of Flashpoint
    • House of Legends *Doesn't count in my mind - entirely recycled*
    • Legion of Doom **Dark Knights Story**
    • Dark Knights **Dark Knights Story**

once done with pre production of the DLC, comes the actual coding, now since the switch, can't hold and show as much on the screen at the same time / pre load and more as fast as the Xbox series/one, and the PC or Ps5 , and Ps4,

they have to have teams for all different consoles, even from ps4 and ps5 i assume, cause the ps5 is a PC pretty much, without the ability to run a proper web browser or use a mouse "very strange" but, with the PC you get the main coding, everything they wanted and could do/ did. in time for release, it works similar on ps5 as PC, i assume, but atm, they probably are running the ps4 version on ps5 "correct me if im wrong, but that's 2 different patches of the the game.
    meaning and example, the ps4 has been missing the Light stream for a long time as I've heard from players in game, and seen on forums.

imo the devs have been packing as much as they can in these newer dlcs, and i just think things from the style perspective that could be passed off as bugs" but are actually in my opinion or got a hunch" its just a bi product and sacrifice for all the other things loading on the ps4s screen at once, being the game loads all server side is a bit better and easier but meaning the game plays like a youtube video loads in laymen terms.

then they have to create a version for the xbox servers, which isn't much different then the ps4 version, but the switch version , which i haven't played, i assume they have some neat tricks to cover up things that aren't on screen that are suppose to be loaded, "shortcuts" in a way.

but as i said, for how much money the legendary players and whales spend on this game. and the player base in general, despite what people say, numbers are up and the game is making alot of money. that's why it got a switch and xbox release in the first place".

the population is been pretty much a steady stream of players, even since the order 66 purge of exploiters/ people that like to unfairly have an advantage , cause its just how they play games, but the game is not dead , or not dying anytime soon, no matter what some Muck in trade/shout chat says just to piss people off lol.

so in total. i don't know, my opinion is, not knowing how large the development team is for the PC/PS servers are alone, while running seasonal events pretty much every month, up until this last month, while doing scheduled updates. unlike EA, who has more money and people, but can't get SWTOR patches out in time, I'd take a SOE/Daybreak aka Dimensional ink dev team "minus Julio Torres, or that damn Smedley who killed swg. which was much like this game, had its Rabid loyal fanbase riding til its dying, type of fans,

Even though i miss Jens, cause i think he had alot to do with the PVP, and i feel sorry for PVP lovers and loyalists over anything else. the game which i sometimes get annoyed with, but have played SOE games since 2004/2005 - present 2022, they aren't anything but bad at creating MMOs, cause i think mmo rpgs the meaning and what they stand for is lost in this day and age, since 2014, fortnite brain is killing all online games.
  10. GameIsGreat. Well-Known Player

I get it, and hated monthly content tbh. But if we’re getting this level of effort creating ‘new content,’ I’d prefer they at least give us the little bit they did every month recycled instead of waiting months to be disappointed lol
  11. appocolyps Committed Player

Have to agree with the OP, i have felt like this for years, every episode just feels like its unoriginal, it feels like a ticky box exercise on the development side. Nothing new/daring or creative in all honesty, no offense intended, but it is my opinion.
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Man...no gold star for you this month. Rough but honest.
    • Like x 1
  13. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Yeah, when the episode hit test I was shocked with the lack of new content. This is the only episode since like Episode 21 without any meaningful place. The new models are really awesome, but there isn't anything extraordinary to say about this episode other than that.

I don't have a lot of problems with them repeating the Metal storyline, even more because it was told in multiple ways (Wonderverse and BOP didn't look like metal at all) and it was the most important storyline in the comics for years, but the ending here was really bad. The Metal storyline was ALL about how The Batman Who Laughs is smarter than everyone else and prepared for almost every outcome and we don't even get to fight his final form because there is only 1 raid.

Not sure if it's because they had to hire new people that aren't trained yet, but this 1 duo, 1 alert, 1 raid model is terrible, it limits the storytelling and leaves us with like 60 minutes of daily content to play even on reset days. Combine that with no new environments and we have nothing exciting for the next 4 months.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't recycle maps, if it helps them make more instances/missions and fits in the storyline then I'm fine with it, but if they are recycling everything AND we only have 3 instances to play, then something isn't working.
  14. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I think Flashpoint and Wonderverse were pretty decent. Wonderverse was the most original episode we had since AF3 and FP introduced new elite levels, but other than that they are just copy pasting stuff and every episode it seems like we get less content.
  15. FlexVibrant Well-Known Player

OP wrote it perfectly, bookmarking this post because this defines everything that has been happening for 3+ years. I love this game, but it's an endless rehash which is why Im not renewing my membership until the next DLC because that's the DLC they said we will see totally new stuff so I'm always willing to give this game a chance. Right now im cruising, no membership needed to level up.
    • Like x 3
  16. zNot Loyal Player

Could it be that since this episode has content with higher quality/well thought mechanics across all instances be why the content appears less? To me yes the content may not be „alot“ 1 raid,1duo,1alert BUT the content we do have is seriously veery good no boring content and a elite raid since a long time thats actually challenging and challenging on the support rolls not the typical „just use 5 dps pew pew“ setup,elite duo and elite alert are both fantastic too.

If we had a second raid people would probably praise this episode imo. But yes content itself is much more important then new maps imo i dont mind recyled maps (the raid is a new map so not all is recycled) we also get elite+ for alert and raid soon.
  17. Rejchadar Inquisitor

This is again a matter of taste, but personally I just didn’t like the way everything was presented in the comics and how it ended ... all this focus on "Batman who Freak", on how super duper cool he is .... actually ruined, a well-started story ... and I'm glad that the DCUO took a different path, besides, what's the point of our characters if they are not able to influence what is happening? Our characters intervened and the "Batman who Freak" plan failed...perfect ;)
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Probably RNG. Players needed feats and styles years after, some because of the gear check so they couldn't complete the content at new, some because there were a lot of feats that relied on random chance.

I think there is also time in instances too. We look back at OC being the greatest, but the moment we went back to it, we want out as soon as possible. Why? Time. We either spent forever in that content to complete the feats or we have lost the feel of longer instances where we have to crawl. Now all content is fast, not because of design, but because of design. As weird as that sounds.

Let me explain. DCUO had a turn with content and it was directly related to replay badges. When they implemented them, I don't think they realized what they gave players, but it was definitely capitalized on later. Content got faster and faster after T4. Faster runs means more replays. This created a play style that shaped future development. When players were getting all feats and max gear within a month and dropping their subscription for 2-3 months until the next DLC, they changed the model. Monthly content came to be, designed as an escalator, never going back. But the devs bit more than they could chew and couldn't keep up with their own time tables. It was very bad content at the end.

Fast forward to now, we still have some lingering elements, but it's getting better. I think a lot of problems with this DLC is fatigue of story.

Supposedly next year we are getting a big update so there is hope.
    • Like x 5
  19. BatgirlS2 Level 30

• Warning: The DCUO forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone.
    Another aspect that is lazy are collections, briefings, investigations. Back then we use to get styles from them, now usually it's either ONE catalyst or some source marks. I don't even bother to look for them unless I see the reward beforehand.

I found the episode augment bonuses lacking if compared with the Doom one. Most things just need one of them levelled up. It's if they couldn't figure it out more uses for them.

And the special missions could have been handled better. It should been in a journal secondary mission to introduce them or a npc at the memorial.
    • Like x 1
  20. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

This is a terrible end to 3 years of content tbh. It is fitting though since they completely botched the Metal story anyways. A one room raid to end this all? Really? I actually don’t mind the duo and alert, but I say this every episode before it quickly gets old a week later. I feel like I’ve barely been holding on to this game with my finger tips for a while now. Maintenance Mode is right. This company better hope that this Marvel game is a hit because they are killing off an already established game and playerbase to make it
    • Like x 1