Is the Shaded Comic Material ... One of the G.O.A.T so far?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ghost27Xog, Nov 21, 2021.

1. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I've searched for "comic" in the broker and have yet to see one listed. Am I not lucky or is that not in the title?
  2. HooLeeCow Well-Known Player

They gave you this:
    • 150 Replay Badges
    • 15 Flawless Nth Metal (15,000 Artifact XP)
    • 1 Case of Ally Favor (5,000 Ally Favor)
    • 1 Nth Metal Detector
    • 1 Radar Detector
    • 1 Proto Repair Bot
    • Bonus: 1 Booster Reward Box only bonus part is a gamble <<<<<<
    rest is worth 1000 station cash and bonus is a bonus so to be fair ...... its legal .Like you would buy shampoo and get comb as bonus or maybe i dont know what im talking about becouse im bald.
    • Like x 2
  3. Controller Devoted Player

I must admit - out of all of the materials, auras, etc - in this game the Shaded Comic is one of the few that I'd love to have.

[IMG]

So why do I feel like my beloved Laughing Funny Guy while I'm trying to open these booster bundles to get one lol.

• Like x 1
  4. bradleymsimmons Well-Known Player

I spent $50 and got squat. Just the auras and materials selling for 2-3 million. I'll never do that again. I'll buy gold and purchase it that way. Way cheaper. DCUO needs to make drops a lot less scarce. It just reeks of greed.

Same with the ultra-rare Collection drops in capsules. Come On! Utterly ridiculous. I've opened over 200 of each capsule and can't get the one piece for the Phoenix Material or Negative Speed Force Material. They should not be THAT rare! It's either broken and not dropping or just impossible. Thanks for the impossible option, I appreciate it.
    • Like x 1
  5. LexxCorp Well-Known Player

It is actually one of the best the Devs have created and it is a very apt tool for those who are into cosmetics in the game. What the Company should have done was to make it available to the DCUO community as a goodwill gesture to promote the game to all - new and experienced player instead of hiding it behind BB and RNG. It could have started the new DLC on a great step, introduce the holiday season on a high note but for me, it just created a great divide and alienated the game to a lot of players.
    • Like x 3
  6. Harlequin Devoted Player

In some places, RNG boxes that drop organically through game play that have zero real world cost are prohibited. In others, there must be a real money cost for the item box. In still others, players must be able to "cash out" by trading the reward for real world currency. In a couple of major markets, simply posting the actual odds of obtaining the various rewards is enough for compliance. That's what PSO2 does for its various "scratches." Even the cosmetic boxes in the Division 2 that you open with the keys for leveling up your battle pass have the odds posted for each possible item to maintain compliance.

I am making no statements as to the compliance or legality of Booster Bundles or Time Capsules with any law in any locality. I'm simply stating that loot boxes and other RNG mechanics in games are a complicated issue that has been addressed in many different ways by different legislatures. Please don't ban me.
    • Like x 1
  7. HooLeeCow Well-Known Player

Time Capsules is different ( pure scam in my opinion ) its gamble 100 % .
  8. Shadow Force Committed Player

Did you just confess doing smth against Terms of Service.
    • Like x 2
  9. Ebon Pegasus Master of the Speed Source

I only had enough to buy one bundle and RNGeezus blessed me with it on the first and only try.

This material is amazing. I would always gravitate back to the black neon when I was finished with whatever new material I was trying out but this has taken over all of my armories. I can appreciate that some folks won’t dig it as much but it’s a game changer imo. I really wish everyone had the opportunity to get it.
    • Like x 1
  10. Brit Loyal Player

I've got dozens of Powerset Materials and Powerset Chromas and various other stuff. I don't use any of it. Very early on, I stopped even collecting them and just started dropping them in the bank to sell later.

I do not really care for any Materials where I could not control the color. And I do not really care for any Materials that do not distinguish color slots.

Comic Shaded is not just one that I spent money to get, but that I have happily displayed ever since. This is what I want from Materials.

From the very beginning, my recommendations of Materials was just "Leather", or "Metal", or "Spandex", to remove textures and make things match. I never understood the purpose in locking the color.
    • Like x 1
  11. Ghost27Xog Well-Known Player

If I can remember the art direction for our characters were started and based off of the Art direction of Jim Lee...I think.
    With the Shaded Comic Mat ... You can see the line art inspiration by him ... Especially when you go black and white on your toon...

• Like x 1
  12. Ghost27Xog Well-Known Player

I can really see his directing and foundation with the new mat.
    • Like x 1
  13. thedemonocus Loyal Player

1 of the things i hated about champions online was the fact the game was cell shaded so i don't know if i'll even like this new chroma if i manage to get one or bother trying. I have over 2 billion so if i see 1 on the broker i'll grab it, i don't do trades because theres too much risk of being scammed and i don't trust people. I don't have very good luck with loot boxes so i will probably not bother buying any booster bundles and i don't like gambling. I have seen a video on youtube about it but its not the same as seeing it on your character so i really don't know what it looks like or what parts of it are shadable.
  14. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Well just for the hell of it i bought 1 booster bundle and i got lucky and got the shaded comic material and i have to say now that i see it on my toon it is pretty dam awesome. I think it would have been better if they just put it on the market and made it redeemable for all toons on your account like the royal chromas.
    • Like x 1
  15. Emoney Dedicated Player

When I seen it on another player for the first time I honestly thought...

Why couldnt they have updated the graphics a bit by making this the default texturing for characters and NPCs, or like others mentioned, making this available to everyone as a gift.

Seems too good to put behind a paywall, RNG and greedy players with extras.
    • Like x 2
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I agree with you...the problem is price. People demand $10 or less for everything, and that's not a fair ask (from a business perspective). Still, I wish they would experiment with putting it on the Marketplace at their asking price and see how it does.

Edit: And congrats on the incredible luck in landing one of THE hottest materials in one box opening. Wanna split a lotto ticket with me? :D
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Because they would get flooded with threads and social media posts angrily complaining about a change that "nobody asked for". It's the same reason why they don't go back to older styles and change them...people have come back to them highly p*ssed off that their favorite piece no longer looks or behaves in the manner they've come to expect. It's much easier for them to just make separate versions of the same item with newer textures or behaviors (like items that clip now vs items that didn't in the past).

First and foremost this is a for profit business. I know it sounds a little condescending to remind people of that, but it's necessary when people want EVERYTHING that's cool or highly desirable for free. While I fully agree with everyone that this shouldn't be behind an RNG Paywall, I do think it should be a direct Marketplace offering. And unlike some, I have no issues paying a fair price for something I really like/want that can be redeemed on multiple toons. Of course, others feel differently, and that's why we're all stuck here either grumbling or praying to RNGeesus.

Edit: They do give us gifts here and there...and people still complain about that too...so they can't seem to win.
  18. Emoney Dedicated Player

Maybe they would complain, maybe they wouldnt. But to me for this thing selling for billions, outside the broker, shows it has a high demand. Changing the style overall isnt a technical issue since they added this skin, and personally it looks more comic book to me, not just the cell shaded color, but the cross hatching too. We all know they will make variants, they could sell them instead.

Also, dont take this as a I want free stuff post...I've given thousands to this game over 10 years, in subs and outside of subs. It's more of I want an updated look, like everyone has asked for since PS3 was dropped.
  19. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

No he confessed to wasting 50 dollars to try and get something he really wanted and is going to take steps next time to make sure it doesn't happen again.