How much time do you spend on your character's Style?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Cerulean Osprey, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Ebon Pegasus Master of the Speed Source

I’m always tweaking my styles and will change them up depending on my character’s personal storyline.

I usually spend an hour or two on tweaking a design. Running it through different content and different lighting and checking for issues during cut scenes (I had to get rid of the Power of the Source Eyes because they wouldn’t show through cut scenes and left my character with really dead looking eyes).

I will also bug my wife a dozen times about what looks best.
  2. Batman2099earthcold Committed Player

my batsuit always change because i am batman
    • Like x 1
  3. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

^^^^
    This. In some cases I have a style in mind before the character is created, and will store styles in the shared bank ready. Then I'll mail them to the character as soon as possible (or wait until he can collect them from the bank).

Other characters are up around CR 300, and still mostly wearing styles from character creation, with the addition of one or two items (have an electric character wearing a basic slimline, with a Flash emblem, Joker jetpack, and a pair of Harley goggles).

Still others, like my main, have had their style gradually evolve. Finally got the look I like around Amazon Fury 3, then added some bracers from Deluge. Hasn't changed much since then. :)
    • Like x 1
  4. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

I spend way too much time on my all my characters' styles. I'm never done styling my characters...ever. I love it. Styling has played a BIG part in me staying with DCUO all these years...since 2012.

Styling allows me to show all of my heroes' uniqueness. Their unique personalities. I can't get enough of it.
    • Like x 3
  5. Lucifoxx Active Player

Well. I usually change quite a few times. But my character has evolved from her got off the bottle ship look

One thing that has remained consistent is the fox skin. Originally she was a Kitsune that used fire but now she's a fox alien who's a Red Lantern

Then. Fox skin. Silver long hair. Trench coat. Classic gloves. Urban slick pants and thigh highs. Red and black colour scheme [Heavily inspired by Dante from Devil May Cry]

Class. Fire dps

Now. Strawberry red botanical hair. Avatar of sin head with furious mat. Loa face painted with human skin to make her look more human. Vestments of rage top. New genesis legs. Devil tail waist. Dark raven back with furious material. Medieval shoulders with furious mat. Formal gloves. Thrull of ekaron boots

General theme. A red Lantern Corps member who uses constructs to scare foes and be a wall of force that can go toe to toe with Zeus, Darkside and Doomsday.

Class. Rage Tank
    • Like x 1
  6. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Tech creates the styles by trying different concepts & my alts were born of those creations
    • Like x 2
  7. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

I change mine virtually never.
    Both mine are very unique i think. I have never ran across anyone in game even close.
    I have a sweet alien thing happening currently and the other i do at times is some sort of predator war mech thing.
    Dont fix what aint broke haha.
    I change things only when a style is released that better fits
    • Like x 1
  8. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

It’s literally the only reason i log in anymore. The gameplay part of the game left me along time ago
    • Like x 1
  9. glamazom Level 30

Speaking of which instead of making a new thread. I would like some different opinions on these questions:

1. Do you find it easier to make a style for a male or female? and why
    2. What makes you determine what 'style' you're going to make? A name/ theme/ idea/ powerset of the toon?
    3. What makes a "good" style?

I personally play on both female and male toons and find myself struggling trying to make anything for a female tank character due to the 'tanky' styles are usually bulky and dont look good on a female imo. Please share your thoughts!
  10. Lucifoxx Active Player

1. Being a woman myself. I find it pretty easy to design outfits for women

2 depends on what I fancy. Sometimes I wana make an iconic and sometimes do a twist on a iconic [Like my Enraged Raven style] and other times it depends on season and or what I fancy

3. I would recommend watching Sugar Punch Design Works Abitorail series if you want to get bettter at character design.

As for the tank problem. I need to know what power it is.

But for tank styles. I base it on the power. For example. You don't have to make a red lantern. That red ring could be a magical artifact, or some technology in your hand. Which is how I designed my own take on the Beyond set and my Bombshell Wonderfoxx style
    • Like x 1
  11. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Don't look at Jack for this. He wasn't here when this game was being planned and then worked on over a decade ago. A lot of design decisions were made for the sake of expediency in getting the game out, which meant a lot of forward thinking ideas had to be scrapped. Adding those things after the fact on a live game would have been expensive and time consuming. When you add their not-so-stellar first year (Game Update 3, The Hack, having to go from a Sub-Only game to F2P etc.), it became harder and harder to add that kind of flexibility. All of these things were not Jack's fault.
    • Like x 1
  12. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

My main style took years and is still work in progress :)
    • Like x 1
  13. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

About 30 min or so.
  14. Imaginos Dedicated Player

You misunderstand. I'm not saying it's jack's fault. I'm saying he worked/came up with that game and could have brought over some of those ideas here and implemented him, being in charge and all, but he didn't. That's the joke, son.
  15. Irvynnge Loyal Player

yeah, I do this sometimes. & then the very next day, change everyone back to their original styles!! lol. smh.
    • Like x 2
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Yeah, except by the time he came over it was way too late to make those kinds of foundational level changes.
  17. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

I've done that more than a few times, too. LOL.
    • Like x 1