Powers color change ?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jaelia, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Proxystar #Perception

A lot of this doesn't need response because ive already agreed the compromises you're suggesting in other posts. you're re arguing the same stuff lol
  2. Apollonia Dedicated Player

lol So, instead of arguing with people asking for improvements, and injecting unnecessary naysaying and negativity into the discussion, just reply:

"Yes, I'd like to see this feature too, as long as they take care to address concerns for the people who might not want it."
  3. Proxystar #Perception

That's not how a live discussion works, you'll note I was also discussing the issues with BumblingB at the same time as you in nearly real time, most of what was being discussed with you was also being discussed with him and the answers were there too see, however due to this flowing conversation nature you were also likely reading my responses to you and not any others.

My discussion wasn't negative or unnecessary naysaying it is a genuine concern on the topic and that's what threads are for, they're not an echo chamber ;)
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And then you've got fertile ground for accusations of the devs being lazy in making the rest of the ring slingers available. Plus you still have to deal with whether or not DC would approve of that move (the devs already said a categorical "No" to Black and White Lanterns a while ago, both would be OP).

Besides, I just don't see the devs being that lazy to begin with. Despite all the predictions like "Rage is just gonna be a reskinned Light" or "Munitions is just Gadgets with a new coat of paint" the devs stepped up repeatedly and made any new powerset they brought into the game its own thing.

And even if you get past all of that, there's still the nagging little detail that it's not just DC that has to be convinced. Remember, the devs made the conscious decision to lock power colors in place and it's been that way since launch with no hints of them changing their minds.

It's just not something I'd be holding my breath on.
    • Like x 1
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I mostly wasn't. I was working on a piece and skim reading the forums on micro breaks.

Like I said before though, I'll take your word for it. Glad you came to an understanding with BB.
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

BB and I usually do just punch each other in the face and then come to an understanding :p
    • Like x 1
  7. Good vs Evil Active Player

I mean thats all up to the DEVS, other games in the genre dont have specific powers like Red/Yellow/Green Lantern but for powers like ice/fire its all color customizable.

I mean common sense would say ofcourse lanterns have to stay their ring color but I would think letting players have blue flames, black ice, blue lightning, etc wouldnt be that game breaking so yeah id say the only thing they are really hands tied with are the lantern powers.
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

But then you're back to playing favorites and creating unnecessary and avoidable drama.

And there's no good way around it. Limit recoloring to the launch game powers and the players who play post-launch powers will be upset that they're limited in their preferred power. Limit it to the post-launch powers as a sub reward of sorts (and no, I'm NOT advocating that at all) and the free-to-play players will raise a stink. Allow all powers EXCEPT Rage and Light and you're going to get on the wrong side of those folks.

All or nothing is the fairest way to do it, especially when it comes to cosmetic aspects like this. Either everyone gets to do it and enjoy the perk or no one does.
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

Yeah, we understand that I'm right and you are wrong. :p
    • Like x 1
  10. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  11. Good vs Evil Active Player

Thats not playing favorites lol, lanterns are LITERALLY known by their corps color so if you like the color green and want to be a lantern then odds are you are a GREEN LANTERN. Its not as complicated as your trying to make it out to be, the lanterns are a very specific exclusion for color customization and that should be apparent why. Who is going to be mad that they cant have a green lantern with blue constructs? LMFAO
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Considering that the first thing a LOT of people talk about with changing power colors is being able to change their Green Lantern to Blue or any other Corps out there, yeah there'd probably more than a few folks upset if every power set except Light and Rage could do the color-changing bit.

I've got multiple Armories for my Light character that covers all the Lantern Corps except the Star Sapphires (I personally hold to the "females only" aspect of that canon, just my own thing). Now, while I'm not particularly gung-ho on power color changing, I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't mind it for further customizing those looks. But at the very least it'd be very irksome if I could recolor the powers of my Electricity, Water, Ice, Gadgets, Munitions, Atomic, Quantum and Earth characters but NOT my Light or Rage characters, especially since I have to pay to access and play those powers.

I've seen what happens when an iconic and signature profession/aspect of a licensed IP get different treatment due to the canon of the IP and it's just a lot of headaches and drama that can be easily prevented.
    • Like x 1
  13. BitGam4r Well-Known Player

This is a new take on trying to get Blue Lantern powers.
    • Like x 2
  14. Good vs Evil Active Player

Then I call those people idiots because they obviously dont understand the complexities, workings and lore of a lanterns power ring and the lantern corps in general. Heck one look through a wiki should be enough to let them understand why color customizable lantern corps powers just makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever.

The only lantern corps playable in game are green/yellow/red, you can cosplay and pretend to be anything else all you want but asking to change your yellow/green/red powers to that of another lantern corps color means you dont understand the lore behind the corps or the colors.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

But sometimes it's not just about canon and lore. There are times where it has to take a backseat to gameplay.

Power color changing is a gameplay aspect, and generally speaking it's a pretty good idea to treat all the assorted powers/professions/classes in a game as equally as possible (SWG and how Jedi were handled kind of stands as a testament to that). Do that and you get few (if any) credible accusations of favoritism on the part of the dev team. Excluding Light and Rage from power color changing would definitely fall outside of "treat them all the same," even if it was because of canon. So it should be "all or nothing."
    • Like x 2
  16. Jaelia Committed Player

Or Violet lanterns :(
    • Like x 1
  17. Good vs Evil Active Player

No it isnt a "pretty good idea" YOU think its a good idea. You think a Jedi should be mad that they cant use red lightsabers? Red lightsabers are only for Sith.

There are times where exceptions need to be made for certain things. People like you want it all or nothing at all, thats a terrible mindset for a player to have, 0 compromise and 0 understanding and frankly no point continuing the topic because its just going in circles at this point.
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Meet Flynne Cordova, Rebel Jedi from my time in Star Wars Galaxies.

[IMG]

Galaxies was pretty wide open for customization. Whether you were a Rebel or Imperial player, the only thing that limited the color of a Jedi's lightsaber was finding the right color crystal. You could even have one that had a lava effect to it.

[IMG]

But for the longest time, armor use was something that wasn't available for Jedi players. Every other profession in the game, including Entertainers and Crafters, could use armor in some way, shape and form, even if it was just in the Appearance Tab that was put in later (you could wear armor and sport an all-clothing appearance if you wished). It ended up being a pretty big bone of contention for the Jedi population in general, and it didn't go away until armor use was allowed.

[IMG]

And before you go too much into "but Jedi can't use armor, it's canon!" keep these things in mind: the game itself was set in the time period between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back so technically speaking Jedi shouldn't have even been in the game, and the first Clone Wars micro-series had premiered by that point showing off General Kenobi in his own spiffy version of Clone Trooper armor.

After Jedi were allowed armor use just like everyone else, things calmed down in that respect. And had the powers-that-be (never really knew if it was a LucasArts or SOE/SWG developer decision about the armor) allowed armor use by Jedi, any uproar over not being able to use armor would have been avoided completely.

Canon with licensed IP is important and should be respected. But if it interferes with or causes problems with the game and/or gameplay, it needs to make way.

And more than anything else, I'm a proponent of making sure everyone gets a fair shake and equal treatment. Excluding Light and Rage from any potential power color change ability is far from a fair shake or equal treatment.
  19. BumblingB I got better.

Then canonically we shouldn't have Fear, Will, or Rage in the game let alone be able to be one, as they pick you based on your emotional state.

It comes down to it, the IP itself has fluctuations and nuances of story. They don't set precedent for the IP and ultimately, it's what the IP owner's decide to be the case.

Before Geoff Johns came on board, there were no spectrum lanterns and Star Sapphires was a race that mentally controlled Carol Ferris. There was only one yellow lantern and was meant as being designed as the only weakness to Green. It wasn't based on fear at all. (Though, it was before the spectrum was created with Parallax element impurity in the Oa battery.)

In your reference with Star Wars, it's one reality one universe, while DC is multiple universes. DCUO isn't following the comics, especially since the premise behind it was the exobytes from the future released in the past.

And for the record, I think they should allow us to change their colors or make the rings an accessory separate from the powers themselves. Which would fit better with exobytes copying the powers from the iconics and not everyone was conscripted into each lantern corps.
    • Like x 3
  20. Noble One Committed Player

this has been asked since day one and the answer will remain no. devs didnt want power changing color then and the same goes for now. esp since they have loads of auras and mats that correlate to the colors of the powers. i would think the main reason still applies for no "as it would confuse new players for joining the game" amoungst any other things they could come up with.

i for one would love to change the colors of my powers. heck Champions Online had this while still in beta and there wasnt any confusion there. but the devs here listen one way and delivery something out in left field sadly.