Powers color change ?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jaelia, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

For the corrosive thing I think you would have to get rid of more than just a red power ring. You would need to remove the emblems that appear from some abilities and the constructs. But I would love to see this acid/corrosive thing or shadows as a future powerset.

From a lore standpoint, I don't think orange or blue would work. There is only one orange lantern and blue lanterns need a green lantern or power battery to be useful in combat I think.

Violet ice sounds cool.
    • Like x 1
  2. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Isn't celestial specifically "blessed" vs "cursed" energy? Traditionally those have always been represented as white/gold vs purple/black. What other colors would make sense? Maybe pure white vs pure black?
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Your imagination. ;) Since it's based on a religious theme, there is no set colors.
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Or it would equally allow players to troll others by purposefully making their color the same as an instance NPC just to be a jerk ;)
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah I get ya, I'm not against the idea really per se, it's just a fraught I feel with a bit of difficulty, like trolling with color pollution and mixed messaging, essentially it would be an awesome feature if it could be controlled a little to avoid those things, that's why perhaps it would probably have to be kept to "shades of the same color" rather than completely different colors, like green lanterns with lighter green or fire with a more vibrant orange etc, or perhaps at best a vibrant orange with just a dash of blue or something as an outline ;) but still largely orange.
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

Remember Deadmeat? He was the one that made reference to this when it came to why certain emblems were not in game. Something to the like of captain tbag or something. Which was the earlier reasoning DC had against them being editable or even in the game.

It's interesting how concepts and ideas go around and we eventually do get them. Maybe by the 20th year anniversary we will have tint-able powers.
  7. Good vs Evil Active Player

City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online both allow players to customize their power color, in fact CoH/Champions do ALOT more than DC in terms on gameplay like vehicles, movement modes, etc. To be honest I feel like the only reason DCUO is more popular than those games is because its DC Universe, people wanna play the game that has Superman/Batman/Joker/etc in it.
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Pretty serious, as this has come up before with the power color changing threads and it relates back to the Lanterns.

DC is still pretty strict with canon in the game even though they've loosened up some over the years. And with many of the aspects of the various Corps, you're going to get some that can't be done because it would go against canon (best example is that there's only one actual Orange Lantern at a time, too greedy to share). The various canon challenges get brought up a lot when it comes to requesting a Lantern Healer powerset as well.

So you'd be looking at two power sets (Rage and Light) that have a VERY strong possibility of not being allowed to change their power colors. That wouldn't go over well at all. Players have to pay to access those powers and not being able to change the colors on them while other paid powers can is just asking for an avoidable and unnecessary uproar.

Something like power color changes needs to be an "all or nothing" kind of thing, where there's no special treatment (positive or negative) done for one (or a couple) sets. As frustrating as it may be, it'd be the fairest way to handle things. Either everyone gets it or no one gets it.
    • Like x 1
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You know what CoH & Champions have in common??? They were/are original properties. DCUO is a licensed Intellectual Property which means they can't just do what they want any time they want.
    • Like x 2
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

All powersets are inspired directly from the comics. Characters that have celestial-like powers are drawn using either white/gold or black/purple.

Edit: my suggestion got cut off. Characters like The Spectre has green/light blue powers, something like that could be an alternative.
  11. BumblingB I got better.

That is actually my point. There are several supers that have same or similar powers as each other. Take Atomic, right off, we have Atomic Skull with green and Firestorm, which is orange. (Though don't get me started on what his real powers are.)

But they picked one.

How about Fire? There are a significant number of fire users in comic lore and they even have just the one in the game which is green.

It's difficult to argue what is correct, when we are talking fiction. So having the Pink Flame in game isn't without reason. Especially if magic is involved when designing them.
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I think (with permission if needed) they have everything available to create an alternative power pack. There are quite a few iconics in game that share a recolored version of our powers. If I were to make a suggestion for Light and Rage: Kyle Rayner uses both Green and Blue power rings, Guy Gardner uses both Red and Green power rings. Surely it wouldn't go against lore for us to use two rings at the same time but I'm not sure how it could work for Villains? In the comics a Green Lantern could be a villain (Sinestro for example) or use a corrupted Green power rings (Dawn breaker).
    • Like x 1
  13. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Right, but I already addressed that. That's like being upset that Tala uses fire and so do you or your groupmate. You brush it off after a moment and do the instance. It's only a thing the first time you do that fight. After that you know what to expect. :)
  14. BumblingB I got better.

I mean, if they want to monetize it, they could also just sell color change tokens ala movement styles. Where you buy the color you want and you can click to change. They would also probably have booster bundle and time capsule versions.

It would require a UI update, like they did with Accessories and Auras, but they can do that I suppose. Then market it labeled the iconic it's based on.

But I feel this would result in the same issue that MP styles failed. They would pick colors or iconics that wouldn't be as popular and then use the sales statistics with that and deem it a waste of time and stop production. I mean, we haven't seen more movement styles in a while either.
    • Like x 2
  15. Aren Sul Committed Player

Late on this one, but my two cents worth:

I don't see any problem with justifying the color variation among (nearly all) of the power sets, from a business point of view. As an example, years ago I remember WoW putting in a difficult quest line to give the warlock class the opportunity to get green fire (merely an animation change). There were people going crazy to get it. Also, character customization is a hallmark / significant selling point of this game.

I don't think you need strong storyline justification for pink ice or red lightning or blue fire, outside of unstable Exobyte effects. Additionally, color variation seems to be the first go-to in many DC comic storylines (a mauve speedster? chartreuse kryptonite? Teal Robin?), why shouldn't it be for the characters we're creating?

The only true issue is with the 3 hard lights with respect to DC. There are a number of ways to go with this. Here are two I can think of:
    • If there are plans to add blue and violet in the (relatively) near future, leave them as is. I don't count orange in the mix, since there's only one true wielder of orange. Sure you can consider being an orange construct, but that seems a bit limiting. White and black might also be considered special cases as they are in the comics.
      You might want to argue you're limiting a power set to only one color, but it's the reverse, you not only have a range of colors to choose from, you have unique power sets to go with them.
    • Forget any limitations. We've had most episodes working off a storyline of heroes and villains working together. So, you end up having two already existing power set mechanics to choose from (labels TBD): Damage/Controller (currently green/yellow), Damage/Tank (currently red) and they can be any color you choose. Spoiler: we technically do this now with green/yellow. That will leave it to one last hard light class to be introduced: Damage/Healer. Additionally, this would also involve tweaking some of the power descriptions.
    • Like x 2
  16. Good vs Evil Active Player

Thats not really an excuse, especially considering we just got a Batwing Drone vehicle (not to scale but its a step in the right direction) and we have a variant flight mode (skimming).

No ones breaking any rules, the game just lacks features that others in the genre have standard.
  17. Proxystar #Perception

Nah, cause those types of occurrences are sporadic, if you let people have free customization of their colors that annoyance irrespective of how subjectively quickly you get over it becomes more commonplace; I don't think it's fair to just pass that concern off as "oh you'll be right".
    • Like x 1
  18. Jaelia Committed Player

I think you’re confused i know rage and light can’t be changed in saying they should add the rest of the spectrums and keep animations the same. Just color them differently
  19. BumblingB I got better.

No matter how much you try to restrict it, players always find a way to circumvent it to do bad things. Good examples would be what happened with kicking in instances. Usually the result is harming the innocent players.

It's better to have an improvement of reporting, but we all know they wont hire more GMs. So it will be no different than that one guy that wore just the police hat and a nude body skin that danced behind male characters when they were in vendors. Report it and move on.
    • Like x 1
  20. Marek Committed Player

I'm sorry. I'm a bit of an exhibitionist, but I was a little drunk and it was just that 1 time. It won't ever happen again ..... but in my defense, I just got done watching a village people video and that police officer really gets me going .... lol
    • Like x 1