Economy Actions Taken Today

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L T Devoted Player

It's a bit rosier than that, you're taxing the same money multiple times with that math. If you have 20 billion you lose nothing on your first 500mil, you lose 475mil on your next 9.5billion, 500mil on your next 5billion, and 1 billion on your last 5 billion, so you're left with 18billion.

If you had 24 billion total, you're left with something like 21billion.

The max anyone can be left with, across their whole account, is just under 22billion. Which is still plenty of money.

Personally, I think there were a lot of really bad ideas thrown around for how to address this, and this is probably the best bad idea there was.
    • Like x 1
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Taken care of.
    • Like x 17
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Pertaining to IRL economics, you're absolutely right. But that principle works because most IRL wealthy people don't like being taken advantage of and wouldn't pay $50 for a $10 burger meal, regardless of the fact that such an overpayment wouldn't even have the the tiniest miniscule impact on their finances. In DCUO, too many people with a lot of cash are far too indiscriminate about their spending and have no problem grossly overpaying for items to sooth their "gotta have it now" itch. That phenomena then influences people to price gouge and the inflation cycle continues.
    • Like x 1
  4. ColdFuzion Well-Known Player

I really appreciate what the devs have done, thank you!

The gold selling websites will ALWAYS be around same with other F2P MMOs - Their cash "stocks" will take a massive hit thankfully.
    • Like x 1
  5. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Pretty much Mepp's post answers your questions.
    • Like x 1
  6. UnderworldSelene Well-Known Player

it's amazing how a few bad apples literally ruined it for thousands of players. Anyway, thanks for addressing this. The Broker was getting out of hand with the prices.
    • Like x 1
  7. Brother Allen Loyal Player

[IMG]

Seriously though, I have to agree with you. lol.

• Like x 4
  8. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

What about alts?
    • Like x 1
  9. L T Devoted Player

if you have 3.5 billion spread across 17 toons you'll lose about 150mil total or about 9 mil per toon. You probably won't even notice this.
  10. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

this does not stop the broker from being ridiculous...you will see come tomorrow
    • Like x 3
  11. Elsa Whitworth New Player

It's a progressive tax. If you have say 30 billion, to use the fullest display of how this works:
    The first 500 million goes untouched.
    The money from 500 mil to 10 billion gets hit at 5%, so that 9.5 billion loses 475mil, so at this point someone with 10 billion now has 9,525,000,000
    then the 5 billion after that gets hit at 10% costing you another 500 million, so someone with 15 billion would have 14,025,000,000
    then the next 5 billion gets hit for 20%, taking away 1 billion, so someone with 20 billion has 18,025,000,000
    then the next 5 gets 25%, losing 1,500,000,000 so now someone with $25 billion has 21,525,000,000
    finally every dollar over the 25 billion gets hit. So someone with say 30 billion, ends up with 21,525,000,000, so the most anyone will have after the adjustment will be 21,525,000,000 (at least if I haven't screwed up my math.)
    • Like x 1
  12. Drownment New Player

we can trade money? or thats officialy over, and money only at broker?
  13. gemii Dedicated Player

it'll still be out of hand..
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I think it might be worth a little insight: prices rose quickly across the board because of the enormous amount of cash some folks had, used, and then spread out into the whole economy.

Is someone having 22 billion dollars excessive? Sure, but our goal here again was to address this influx of fake cash and impact as few people as possible, and this is pretty close to resetting things back to where they were prior to this exploit.

Also, while 22 billion dollars seems like a lot, is a lot, we removed double digit TRILLIONS of cash from the game. What happens next should feel pretty different, and we will be monitoring to see if that is the case.

---

Also, many of the stronger suggestions for caps and the like sound good on paper, but we don't think will actually have the results most are imagining. Regardless, all of the options need more time to be considered, so that's why that kind of change is not happening now.
    • Like x 23
  15. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

It still hasn't been answered if this is a One Time wipe or if it's going to be on going from this point on?
  16. Marih New Player

Tomorrow, or next week it will be as always.
    • Like x 2
  17. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

Mepps says it's a one time progressive tax in the initial post.
    • Like x 1
  18. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I don't think it's gonna work like that. The cash that falls into one category should be siphoned off from the effects of the cash in the category below it. Granted, you raise a fine point in that Mepps is putting waaaay too much faith in this communities general understanding of math and economics by omitting the details of how the brackets are applied.
  19. sheriffgoff Level 30

not worried about loosing the tax one time, i am worried about being taxed now when this is acted and again and again. i did read the entire post and unless i missed something it never said this was a one time action.
  20. Gromm865s Active Player

How can that be? One of the main "exploiters/glitchers" on the villain side IS STILL PLAYING on an entirely different account. Lower level but stocked with ALL the "OG" auras/materials. I mean everyone active on trade chat on the villain side knows who it is.
    • Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.