who makes up duelling rules?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FrauFever, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Arctic New Player

Im sure this isn't the right thread for this post. However just a quick question about if initiating a vote to kick and voting yes to the vote still carries an unreasonable cooldown penalty?
  2. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

I didn't make the rules and you can certainly disagree with them. The original post was to explaining to the OP (or new players) why the rules have been around.

It's not just dueling buddies with small pockets of people. Things like no sodas in duels have been in this game for a long long time, probably as far back as (2012 - 2013). And obviously the rules are still around if the OP ran into them recently and started this thread asking.
  3. Proxystar #Perception

There's a winner, there's a loser /end

The only people attempting to make dueling rules are the weak and the salt streaming from their eyes upon their defeat after, I've used a supply drop, sidekick, orbital, topped off by a delicious refreshing soda sustains ones soul. ;)
    • Like x 6
  4. Krossmark Level 30

In short: whoever whines the loudest. No soder made sense once upon a time: it cost a considerable amount of cash when the game launched and that's where a lot of your money could get drained, of course now it's inconsequential and thus a stupid rule.

When you allow players to dictate a ruleset, you will always run into people trying to design a system in which they have an advantage.
    • Like x 4
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

that's the spirit! 'ave it!
  6. EP Ice Loyal Player

I was going to ask the same thing. Who made these supposed rules and where are they posted?
  7. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

Despite what most people are saying the rules are largely down to common sense. That said they only apply in a competitive setting, outside of that anything goes. However if you go to a duelling hotspot then the common sense rules are likely to be followed by most and you will have a hard time getting a duel once people see you don't follow the rules. To me the OP reads more like someone complaining that people wont duel them or feeling they aren't getting the rep they think they are entitled to from their wins. If either of those things are your concern the only way to alleviate the issue is the understand and follow the rules.

Orbitals/Sidekicks/Supply - The cooldown is the reason, that much should be obvious. In a duelling hotspot you can't expect everyone to synchronise so everyones stuff comes off CD at the same time, neither does anyone want to wait around for 5-10mins after every duel just so both parties can use it again. If you are in a competitive duelling setting then its understandably off the cards.

Off Roles - Not really a rule in my opinion. However if someone were to agree to duel whilst standing in DPS and then change to their off role just before the duel starts you can reasonably expect the opponent to rage as it's basically a bait & switch. People will generally inspect you and agree to duel upon that inspection so it's reasonable to expect to duel what you inspected.

Soders - This is just a relic as others have noted. It's not reasonable for people to follow this rule anymore but since it had a valid reason for existing once upon a time and was one of the most well known unwritten rules I do have sympathy for those that continue to follow it not realising it's not necessary.

Doesn't mean you have to follow them, but as people often say these days, own your choices and don't come crying here just cos people wont duel you or aren't giving you the respect you crave. That said, if you just don't care about rep, crack on.
    • Like x 1
  8. Isif Committed Player

Fight to win. Anything else is just sparring.
  9. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

Some rules are less pervasive than others.

In baseball:
    Don't bunt to break up a no hitter.

Hockey
    Don't shoot the puck towards the goal after a whistle.

NBA - don't showboat in the waning seconds of a decided NBA game.

Even if so-so service, you can still opt to not tip a taxi driver, barber, waiter or hotel maid.

Unwritten rules are not official and no one is bound to follow any of it. My only advice is if you like dueling and duel with randos a lot just be aware they're there and adapt as needed.
  10. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

you seem RUDE...F OFF...hows that for understanding done talking...dont bother being dense and babbling anything else...bye...
    • Like x 2
  11. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

CoH Era...Enemy Tele/Assassin Strike...did you at least let them press a button...nah...youre right...they didnt deserve it...
    • Like x 1
  12. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

If you're gonna fight, fight.

fighting to the extent of your character's capacity means using all the stuff you have available.

"the end"
    • Like x 2
  13. Proxystar #Perception

I'm not even allowed to fight in tank role, something about too many shields, brick, living forever

[IMG]
  14. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

according to whom?

this is the same bunch of .... folks who debated the fairness of PVP Fire Tanks as though there were a question of it. invincible monster tank that never dies is, objectively speaking, not a very fair build, but hey - the current PVP community thrives on those sorts of things, so...

I think it's fair to say that anyone using an overpowered build automatically forfeits their ability to complain about other people doing the same thing; as for overpowered, everything's subjective, and if you got the lawnmower... shrug.

What Would Hank Hill Do?

Hank Hill would lawnmow, I tell ya whut.
    • Like x 1
  15. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Initiating the vote carries a cool down. I don't believe voting yes does though.
  16. Proxystar #Perception

I was actually just joking :p

But to be fair, I very rarely, if ever, play pvp anymore because of how broken it is, it's actually really sad
    • Like x 1
  17. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

This thread is vindictive of what is wrong with PvP.

From what I am reading, the rules were put in place because it was unfair because someone soda was on cool down when they started a duel.

I will have to assume that they were elite, admired, had a fan base of some sort, I say that because when I started playing the game the rule was in place, which I didn't follow anyway.

If all that is why people jumped onboard with the arbitrary rules, then the rules were put in place as an excuse for being weak and trying to gain an advantage.

I say that because it sounds like being like that one person, wasn't ready to fight yet let their words get them in a world of hurt.

Yet creating an advantage from their opponent, who may not have been at a disadvantage and very well prepared for the fight.

This argument was also made a long time ago when SP were given away for the Valentine's event, where people argued it would give some people an advantage, regardless that everyone would receive the feats.

These arbitrary rules have been beyond dueling also, the argument was made for HT mods and HT content in PvP, which was part of the great fix made to PvP with the exclusion of HT content from PvP.

Seems to me the rules need to be dropped and the function of the roles in PvP and duela need to be restored, but these things cannot happen until the arbitrary rules go bye bye.
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

shrug. I'm more enjoying the imagery of your little jackhammering imp hopping about screaming "I TELL YA HWUT".
    • Like x 1
  19. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

On Xbox it doesn't even matter who or where you are; if you use a Soder in a duel, you are getting thrown under the bus by the entire community for being a coward. In every chat. I personally don't care, but I can see how others can perceive it's use as being weak/feeble.
  20. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

What's the watchtower?