It's time - the joker.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Cyro, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Cyro Committed Player

So i would like to start this thread by saying Mark Hamill is the greatest joker there ever will be, when i think of the joker i think of him, his voice is the joker, that being said - it's time to replace him

Since Mark has been back into star wars he has not only gotten more busy but likely a hell of a lot more expensive, too expensive for daybreak to afford his voice acting. As much as it pains me to say, i think we need someone need to play the joker. I know people will complain about this even more so when they changed Harley's voice actor but i would argue that the joker is in the top 3 as the most recognizable and the most important to dc and not having him in the game anymore is horrendous.

I miss the joker and want to see him brought back, he is by far the most entertaining characters in dcuo and in the top percentile for dc. I know it wouldn't be the same without Mark but i would rather another voice actor than no joker at all, those are our two choices.

Please find a new voice actor and bring the joker back, dcuo isn't the same.
    • Like x 5
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Players threw fits and are still unhappy about the change to Booster Gold's voice.

They REALLY pushed the limits when they had to cast a new actor for Harley.

Trying to recast The Joker? That's poking a bear. You're talking about recasting for someone who has arguably been THE definitive Joker voice. And we've had the good fortune to have that voice and performance in the game from the start.

The comparisons would be inevitable and most likely harsh, especially if they didn't try to go back and re-record all the Joker dialogue in the game. Remember, every time we enter the Vault we hear him. We can go back and listen to Investigation and Briefing messages and hear the lines. There are missions that can be played featuring him. And if they did try to re-record everything? That'd probably create a whole other level of backlash, never mind it's probably expensive (don't think it's been done since they recast Susan Eisenberg as Wonder Woman).

I'm not saying it should never be done. But taking everything into account, I think it's a decision that should have some REALLY serious thought put into it before it gets made.
    • Like x 2
  3. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

The Batman Who Laughs voice actor doesn't do a bad job tbf. If the devs wanted to they could use him as the Joker voice as well. (for newer content only)

Of course, no Joker VA will ever compare to Mark Hamill.
  4. Fools Fire Loyal Player

Troy Baker -

• Like x 5
  5. EconoKnight XIII Legion

If they’re going to just pick random people off the street to do it, then probably better to leave it alone. But there are affordable voice actors with agents who have been featured in other DC media (maybe even Troy Baker if the financials could work out).
    • Like x 1
  6. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Yeah that guy is Mark Hamill 2.0. I remember the first time I heard him I was like...wait that isn't Hamill?!?
  7. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Cyro makes an excellent point. I admit that like just about everyone the Mark Hamill version of the Joker is and always will be my favorite and most of us really hated the "new and not improved" version of Harley that we got. That said ... the Joker is one of the best known and most popular villains in the DC Multiverse so completely ignoring him as far as newer content goes just seems wrong.

Other actors have played the character in animated TV and Movies and while not AS good as Hamill's version they did okay so what would be so wrong in getting some new content with a new actor in the role? I''d strongly urge DCUO to take LQ-DCUO's suggestion and LEAVE THE OLDER CONTENT ALONE! Just use a new actor for the new stuff. I mean why deprive us of the Hamill version we were fortunate enough to get early on?
  8. Great Architect Loyal Player

I always wonder if Ocean Master's voice is still breaking, since it veers between growly and squeaky, depending on which content you're playing :D. They don't usually go back and re-record old lines when the voice actor changes, unless it's one of the big 6, perhaps?
  9. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Honestly, if that means we’d get more joker then id vote yea... anything that keeps us away from Wonder Woman.

But i think troy is just as busy Amd probably still super expensive
  10. Neph Dedicated Player

I agree, I mentioned him after Last Laugg to Jens but he wasn’t enthused. But now he’s not the creative director and if they can screw up Harley’s voice and give us a cringe performance from Terra, then Troy should be a step up!
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The only time I've seen it with the mentors was with Eisenberg when she became our Wonder Woman. They didn't go back to re-record the old Superman lines with George Newburn when he took over Superman in Earth 3.

But I think even with Susan Eisenberg, they didn't re-record everything. I haven't checked in a while, but I think the motion comics for Wonder Woman in the core game might still have the original Wonder Woman voice actor.
  12. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Well technically he's not voicing the joker. Hes voicing bruce wayne who looks like joker.
  13. Physique Dedicated Player

It is fascinating to see threads like this because, while I loved Mark Hamill as the voice of the Joker, he said his time with the voice was done after the Arkham Asylum games. "Role fatigue" and his voicing The Joker interfering with other opportunities were the original reasons he gave. Now that he's back under the Disney / Star Wars umbrella, Mr. Hamill may be a bridge too far to book, both in schedule and money.

Arleen Sorkin, the originally voice of Harley Quinn, cited similar reasons (role fatigue / opportunities) when she gave up that mantle as well. These voices are both very distinctive and impossible to "replace". Given how much I see people complain online (here, social media, and in-game) about paying for this game, it is highly ironic that some of those same people would likewise demand that this publisher (and others) be willing to pay exorbitant fees to voice talent for a game they complain about paying for. As much as we play this game for our pleasure, it's it still a business for this publisher and sometimes business sense has to rule the day.

The voice changes, while sometimes grating, I don't mind so much as I do mind when changes are made to mechanics and gameplay at times without full clarity or transparency. There are just times when people aren't available to cast and because of that changes are made. A lot of the time, those choices aren't under anyone's control so I just roll with it. Game changes, however, are a different thing and hopefully there will be more stability on that front.
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Except after the Arkham games, Hamill returned to do the Joker voice for The Killing Joke and has also made appearances in that role in the Justice League Action animated series.

Even had a clip/episode where things got a little....odd. :confused:

Yes, he's even doing Swamp Thing's voice. :D

I do agree on the potential costs being prohibitive. Even so, I'm not sure the "he said he was done" argument can hold any water these days.
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Fun fact, he had said he was done with the Joker when we got him back to do DLC4. That's why we called it the last laugh. ...he then came back again though. We have kept up with him and he's been willing/interested over the years, it just hasn't clicked.

We definitely won't re-record or remove any of Mark's acting.
    • Like x 13
  16. Dianatique Well-Known Player

bruh, the batman who laughs voice actor sounds like an average joe, and his laugh is wayyyyy too forceable.
  17. Cyro Committed Player

I wouldnt want his voice acting to be re recorded but if he doesnt want to or just too busy i would rather get someone new for the sake of getting an iconic character back into dcuo
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Pretty good. I could live with him doing Joker in the game in future with no problems.

He's about twenty times better as a replacement for Joker than either take of whatsername who does that mediocre Harley voice now.

(And, yeah, I still haven't gotten over them pretty much ruining Booster Gold. What an awful decision that was. I have no idea what they were thinking, taking a great voice hitting the lines perfectly, and then apparently saying "okay, now, can you do it five times worse? It will be so much less funny and enjoyable that way! Thanks!")
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That might be more of a situation of having the right story to tell to bring him back. As popular as the character is, Joker doesn't get used willy-nilly in the comics or in the classic animated series, and when he does show up, it's something major.

If they've got other stories they want to tackle first, that can help up the stakes for when he DOES come back.
  20. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I still haven't finished all the Metal comics, but Joker had a fairly important role in them early on, in fact.