Why do you guys support this game?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KodyDerp, Jul 4, 2019.

1. recoil2 Dedicated Player

could you possibly think beyond money for once and look at thinking, sentient human beings for once who come with social and psychological ramifications and complications? honestly no business sense OR sociological sense, it'd be a waste for me to further try and explain the psychology of how a BUSINESS runs with you quite frankly.
  2. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i actually remember a very good quote on this from john lyndgate "you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.".
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Thank you for the full quote. I knew there was more to it but I was only sure of the very last bit. LOL
    • Like x 2
  4. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

I'll say this, all you're doing is proving how emotionally messed up people are these days lol, any game I see that catches my attention, I would be glad to spend some money on it let alone $5 lol.

Also I must agree, it is a waste of time.
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

True, but I don't think it'd make that much of a difference, as some people seem to complain simply for the sake of complaining. LOL They could run the risk of getting more complaints for "being lazy" by going that route.
    • Like x 2
  6. KodyDerp Dedicated Player

Thing is, the term "free to play" is not so literal when it comes to DCUO. As a free player, how much of the game can you actually play for free? If you only have access to 10% of the games features, theres really no logical need for you to vote on the 90% that you dont have access to.

I think voting should be a membership/premium only perk, it also gives people another small reason to subscribe, bringing in more money. Also, those who pay for the game tend to take the game more seriously and last longer. This isnt about psychology and this isn't about blatantly ignoring the free population, everyone's concerns and opinions matter. They wouldn't be able to vote, but they'd still able to express such concerns on the forum.

Ultimately its the staff team's decision to decide who would be permitted to vote, but if a middle ground is absolutely necessary, then there could be separate polls, free polls (polls that display changes that directly affect free players) and premium + polls. I dont believe a middle ground is necessary in this case though. I'm almost certain that most premium/legendary players would be fine with restricted polls.
    • Like x 1
  7. De Hei Active Player

The game at all is really cool. It has a lot of PvE and PvP content... I could only could critisice the low population atm. This game needs a bit time investment and at the start its not easy to understand how it works with powers, movement ect... The tutorial should go more in detail here, because there are allready players, which will stop in reason of disunderstanding. Another point why many players dont will start this game, is the bad criticism... I just read a lot of unlike comments before i "re"started to play it. I played it years ago and allready was knowing, that this game has much potential.

Most i like the battlemechanics and in reason of this the PvP in this game.
  8. recoil2 Dedicated Player

would you be willing to do so if they ignored your feed back? that logic is quite paradoxical. try putting yourself in other people's shoes for once.
  9. recoil2 Dedicated Player

remember the PVP and gu47 fiasco? i think this is enough evidence to support why no specific financial, ethnical, content or gender based class should specifically have so much say over what the devs do or do not do. i am well aware of the fact that a free to play game is not at all free, that's how it's designed, along with well meaning and outreaching Public relations (PR) to entice non-payers into paying, however such is a delicate balance of enticing the player and yet withholding just enough to make them want more, sort of like pavlov's dog. i certainly think your idea for different polls across different financial sub groups is an excellent idea and i'll explain why it would be financial beneficial to the higher ups: an individual poll for free players would assess and assert what is and would be widely considered for free players to much more likely want to sub/purchase DLCS, a premium poll would concensus what premiums would need or want involved to continue buying DLCS/occasional membership, and a poll for members would assess what members would need to keep from going premium or just buying the DLCs individually. i wouldn't say paying players "take it more seriously" as i;ve seen players from every walk of life/financial situation make the most imbecilic of choices you can make in game (and some of these people obviously poured a few hundred into the game to still be that stupid), how "serious" someone takes something is up to their personality and personal drive to betterment, it's not just people in tier 1-3 who i've seen make rookie mistakes for example; i've seen this incompetence from tier 1 to end of tier 9 independent of elite, normal, or event content. everything is about psychology, for psychology is the study of the mind, without a mind what is sentience or thought? action or reaction?
  10. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Ofc I would spend $5 just to get my voice heard in a videogame I enjoy. I really don't get your point, yeah there are sensitive people out there, but since when businesses ever catered to people who are sensitive? note: they can still play the game for free, but if they want to help with future updates by participating in polls in-game then they need to be finacially supportive of the game by either becoming premium or subscribing, i don't see how no one finds this idea practical, smh.
  11. recoil2 Dedicated Player

PVP revamp? all the nerfs to powers? making content easier because people didn't want to support? roleless buffs? ringing any bells? free to plays support the game by giving it population, spreading good word of mouth reputation (or you know they would if many things didn't turn off people about this game who aren't already playing it), can voice feedback dissensions which would probably be over looked that could help developers in making the game more enticing, etc. it's "practical" but it's not effective or all around beneficial to the game. like the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.", of course in this case unlike the proverbial metaphorical horse a free to play player CAN tell the developers why they won't drink (a metaphor for spend money) as unlike horses they are customers and can speak various human languages including english among others.
  12. CCPONCHO Well-Known Player

I support this game because I invested alot of money into it and because of a friend of mine that I helped grow his league with. DC is also the only superhero mmo out at the moment that I'm aware of so it's fun to create my own character and help save the world. If another superhero mmo come out and that happen to be better I probably won't play as much anymore.
  13. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

So what solution you have in mind that's more ideal?
  14. recoil2 Dedicated Player

Kodyderp has already supplied it, have separate polls for each of the different player status groups designed to collect and census both selective and general feedback from said groups on specific and general issues. things like: are you satisfied with the content model/type? if not please provide feedback, have you subbed or bought the most recent DLCS within a year or so? why or why not? how many hours or minutes do you spend in the game daily and weekly? are you content or discontent with how this time is spent etc etc. that sort of thing would give them a very clear idea of what direction to take as long as they factor and filter in the common responses across all player status groups for the most commonly shared average opinion. if free players, premiums, and members all agree that the game needs less one shots for example and more complex mechanics instead then that's what they do and listen to, the common denominator of public opinion.
  15. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Sup Kody,

most the time, I only support the game when a new episode has content that is at least some what challenging (the JLD episode was a perfect example of getting me to support the game while the Atlantis episode was not) , SM (spent more money on DCUO in June than I have in the last 6 months combined), or they have good sales.

Other than that...I choose not to give DCUO any $$ outside of the sporadic $10 I will occasionally drop for Seals. One thing I almost always refuse to do is give money to DCUO for Stabilizers. I'll save up Stabilizers from one TC to the next and then open what I can and if I get what I need, great, if not I just buy it from the broker.
    • Like x 2
  16. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Fair enough.
    • Like x 1
  17. Merlin2574 Well-Known Player

Yeah,....I know. But one can try. They might just end up digging their own grave though.
  18. EconoKnight XIII Legion

When Brainiac returns, I would like to see something innovative. They’ve seldom explored our weakness (we are powered by exobytes); and with the new leveling systems in place, they could look at another angle.

So we’re running after Brainiac on what seems like a usual quest to stop him; and we’re leveling up and using those episode specific exobytes the entire time. But something’s wrong this time - the exobytes we’re using are tainted, and you have a choice to make. Do you keep becoming more powerful yet also more susceptible to Brainiac’s control; or do you stay weaker relying more on your gear (with vendor gear helping to negate the controlling effect the more pieces you wear).

It could be a way to kind of “slow your roll” a little or at least possibly change your leveling strategy. Maxing your exobytes could make you a loose cannon and powerful enemy of your group; but not using them could make the content more challenging until you completed your vendor gear. That kind of immersion is what we’ve been missing. Actual story reasons for changing the way we play instead of just “do as your told”.
    • Like x 1
  19. Brit Loyal Player

Just my own personal opinions here. I feel as though Free Play players in a FTP game are important to the health of the game, chiefly because they provide an increase in population. MMOs specifically are multiplayer by nature. All the endgame stuff requires groups. When the population dwindles to the point where you cannot reliably find groups, even if you enjoy the game you still cannot actually play it, so the players leaving continues to snowball and the game dies. The people who are spending their money still need to be able to find a tank, a healer, a controller, and so on. And they need to be able to find them any time, day or night. A 24-7 MMO cannot sustain itself if it is only actually playable for about 4 hours worth of US-primetime.

That is the primary function of FTP players. Log in and play the game, so that the paying customers have people to play with. If they can manage to tempt those FTP players into spending money as well, even better, but their primary function is basically just to be warm bodies and keep the game active.

But it will always be a balancing act. If the restrictions on FTP players are too severe, they won't play and the population suffers. Harsh penalties for FTP players tend to cause them to leave for a different game far more easily than it would inspire them to sub. But on the flip side, if the FTP system lacks a meaningful difference from the subscriber model, then there is little reason for people to subscribe or spend money. In that case, your paying customers stop paying and shuffle over into the freeplay line, because there's not enough value for their money.

The FTP players have to be kept happy so that they don't all leave, because if they all left then the paying customers would follow. But the FTP players cannot be allowed to be so happy that the paying customers stop seeing value in what they are paying for, because in that case they would also follow. And ultimately, it is the paying customers who keep the lights on, so it is the paying customers that the developers are concerned with.

It is my personal belief that the current subscription model does not offer nearly enough to justify the price tag, when compared to what a Premium player can get spending the same amount of money on a la carte purchases. The subscribers are given a lot of stuff, but the stuff that they are given are not necessarily what the Premium players would actually care enough to spend money on. It's supposed to create this environment of Subscription-Plus, where people sub and also make extra Marketplace transactions. But in reality, it only really seems to reward players for un-subbing and shifting over to Premium status. Simple changes need to be made, like how subbing for 3 months should result in ownership of the new Episode released during that quarter, instead of just renting it while a Premium gets to own it forever while paying less than a quarter of the price.
    • Like x 3
  20. recoil2 Dedicated Player

exactly, which is why o like KodyDerp's idea, the data they could collectively gather from each of the three status groups would greatly increase sales/QoL generated revenue from the player base if the majority opinion is sifted out correctly from the dozens of opinions they'd get on each game aspect they poll for. as the saying goes "you can't please everybody", but if they take an eagle's eye to the census data they can please "most" customers across the board in theory.