Census character data down again? 2019 March 20

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by IonHero, Mar 20, 2019.

1. IonHero Committed Player

Seems like the census character data is down again? any ETA on when it will be back up?

Was hoping people would be able to track their Shazam! capsule feats.
    • Like x 2
  2. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

3. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Any word on restoration?
    • Like x 2
  4. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

I personally hope it stays down forever.

Perhaps the census being down will get rid of some of the cyber stalking and bullying that happens as a result of it being available to anyone and everyone.

I'll elaborate if you need me too.
    • Like x 1
  5. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Yeah, it's not needed.

It is better than it used to be when there were more websites that used the census.
  6. IonHero Committed Player

That's disappointing to hear, I know my league uses it to help identify feats league mates are missing and help them out.

Yeah, but I suspect part of the downturn of its use, is that they stopped updating the reference databases. So it could no longer display up to date information on what equipment & feats characters had. (At least not without creating a database of your own.)
    • Like x 2
  7. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I just use it for feat checking, since the in-game feat checking is a nightmare to use. But I can guess what some others might have been using it for, and understand the dislike of the feature. I wish there was an easy way to pull up feats and see all the text and checkboxes without waiting for scrolling or spending half an hour finding the section it's in...
    • Like x 4
  8. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

Boo, the census can be really helpful and useful.

Do we know why it goes down? Is it a Daybreak-side thing?
    • Like x 2
  9. Darth Piper Loyal Player

As one of my league mates said, "The census is a labor of love." They probably failed to copy a data structure, data table, or something like that and with the census being a lower priority they don't always fix that right away.

It's sad because from the perspective of league management it's a highly useful tool when you're attempting to set up stuff to help your other league members.
    • Like x 3
  10. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

i personally used Zonexus to look at league members feats & surprise them with gifts i knew they needed
    • Like x 3
  11. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

I use Zonexus all the time to check what feats me and my friends could do together or send them gifts. It's much more easier to look it up yourself and see everything right in front of your eyes instead of asking "Do you need that feat? what about this feat?" every time.

Though I do admit I use census to look up peoples' stats sometimes, but simply out of sheer curiosity. Never meant to use it as some sort of face control or confront people about their sp or whatever.

It's also useful for checking available character and league names.
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

I'm working on that for a web project that's in the pipeline for my site portfolio. Hopefully it will be ongoing (unless it costs too much to keep hosting running), but I intend to make the DB publicly available at some point in any case.
    • Like x 1
  13. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

After reading some of the posts in here, I realize that I do need to elaborate a little more. I won't go into the graphic details, or the super nasty things that I've seen happen... but here goes:

There are peeps that use the census responsibly.
    There are hoodlums that use the census to stalk others and bully others.

Just because some peeps are being nice with it, doesn't mean that everyone is being nice with it. I am very glad that none of you have been the target of the nasty things. I'm sure you may have seen some of the smaller, minor grievances... maybe even been the target of some of those minor 'nuisance' things; but I highly doubt any of you have been the target of the bad, bad things. If you were the target of those bad things? you wouldn't be advocating for its return/use.
  14. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

I was (though our definition of "bad things" may be slightly different, but I won't go into details since it's been deeply personal), but even then I'd still say that it's not a problem with the census, but rather with bad people using it.
    More people use it for good rather than bad. I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience, but just because it can be used for evil purposes, doesn't mean it's evil. I guess this can be said almost about anything. Remove it and jerks will find a different way to bully people.
    • Like x 1
  15. chrisjbnba New Player

I think the census app is needed. When I first started I was targeted but all I I did was get better and get my stats up simple. Plus how much can someone really hurt you on an online game and you don’t and will never know them.
    • Like x 2
  16. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

I was using to track my own characters. People need to stop asking for things to be removed just because of a few bad people.

I hope they bring it back soon.
    • Like x 5
  17. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

How much can someone really hurt you on a game
    • Like x 1
  18. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I, personally, cannot see much more than basic bullying unless somebody somehow foolishly managed to link personal information into their characters... even then I'm not sure what sort of information could be shared.

The census is a tool, nothing more. Tools are always abused by bad people, some more effectively than others. In this case, the tool involved has a LOT of useful purposes. Taking it away from everyone because some children decided to use it to bully seems a bit extreme.

But then, "bad people" is why we can't have nice things.
    • Like x 3
  19. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

This 100%
    • Like x 2
  20. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

How does one get deeply personal just by being able to view your characters feats and sp? i guess name calling and harassment in general could be taken personally. But "deeply" personal? Some people are just more sensitive than others I guess. I just don't understand how/why anyone would let faceless people you will never see in real life hold that kind of power over you. Sounds like there's more to this than just the census/wavedox here though. There has to be.