Roleless Buff Update 8/17

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Surtur Well-Known Player

That is an absolute joke if you ask me. :confused: Who the heck came up with that?
    That along with roleless buffs have to be about the dumbest thing ever to be implemented in a so called team environment game.
    • Like x 1
  2. ITony StarkI Active Player

With the way it's setup now stats wise, you could role in a raid with a 2-3-3 setup (tanks, trolls, healers) and actually get the job almost just as fast (if not faster) and more efficiently. One battle tank, one defensive tank, 2 battle healers, one traditional healer, 2 battle trolls, one battery troll. With the damage buff in place for having no dps the burn would be more than adequate if you have players that know what they are doing.

Sad truth is, only a small percentage of the community is aware of this fact: we don't actually even need the DPS if we don't want them. The only reasons they are even relevant is 1. They makeup the overwhelming majority of the population 2. Thus, there are not enough skilled support role players 3. Therefore, it's hard to find players who experiment with every aspect of their role 4. Majority of the players on this game do not possess the skill or forethought to spec their characters differently for different play styles, groups, and instances. (This includes DPS, Tanks, Trolls, and Healers) Most players only seem to know how to play one way, focus on one stat, and variation on the same one loadout.
    • Like x 3
  3. Surtur Well-Known Player

4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Roleless buffs were created after the community largely chose to play as Damage, not before. They addressed very long PUG queue times for Damage players.

Roleless buffs only exist in alerts - not in solos, duos, or raids.
    • Like x 6
  5. krytine Loyal Player

Ok where does it say that please. I am not trying to be a jerk or anything i just wanted to know where you saw it to confirm it for myself what dev said this or something
    • Like x 1
  6. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

[IMG]

Can you explain how this actually works plz? how much dmg increase you gain for each role in the group?
    • Like x 1
  7. Drathmor Unwavering Player

yep people think saving 2-3 mins on a run is worth dying over and over along with cutting peoples enjoyment out of the game by not being able to play the role they want is less important than their precious time they have to get all their marks
    • Like x 1
  8. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

In my opinion this has only hurt support roles... especially those who only want to do support and not chase two sets of gear...

As it was for example with amazon fury one.... healers were basically completely excluded... if someone showed up in healer they were either kicked or told to go damage... of course if i was in a random group and a kick vote came up to the healer who was asked to change to dps and wouldnt... id say no but the other person would generally say yes and bye bye healer...

I think the buffs are too good.. too beneficial runs are every bit as smooth with or with out a support role they just get the added bonus of being a faster run along with the smoothness
    • Like x 3
  9. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I'm sure curious as to where you got that information as I don't remember ever reading that.
  10. Surtur Well-Known Player

Players chose DPS because:

1. there were no good in game tutorials
    2. stats were not explained
    3. powers & how they worked were not explained very well at all
    4. roles & how they worked were definitely not explained within the game.
    5. The whole game in general was a messed up sandbox experiment gone wrong because of the lack of anything informative.

Players had to go to websites outside of DCUO to learn anything outside of mashing buttons for DPS role.
    The players choose DPS because that's all they know how to do because of the lack of good information on anything else.

If you give a player four choices and they only have been guided towards one way.... (DPS) Then DPS is what they will choose because they do not know anything else.
    • Like x 2
  11. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

We've been down this road before, I know the argument for and against the buff, when it was implemented, and the issues it tried to address, the lack of support players in game.

That was a different era though.

Lets look at the current features offered in game that were not available then.

With the assortment of items including armories, stat revamp, orbital strikes, supply drops, etc. etc. etc. you have developed over the years to ease the burden on all roles, let DPS que as dps without the role less buff.

Players should adjust to content, and be responsible for their own survival, not depend on some, excuse the word, cheap mechanic to keep them alive. This would promote, in theory, all roles, because some DPS would decide "hey I like tanking that stuff... ".

You cannot say the games overall health is better with this mechanic in it... because one prominent single role, does not make a MMO.
    • Like x 2
  12. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Thank you.
    Posted that I don't know how many times recently....
    ;)
    • Like x 1
  13. krytine Loyal Player

Less and less players get a chance to even learn thier role in alerts and in a duo ppl walk out if you stay in role form. So where do new players get to learn thier role in a raid as a solo heal tank or troll and as soon as a mistake happens the crap talking is through the roof and a new player is kicked so they never learn the role. We should not be so focused on dps give a higher reward or something for doing roles until the population is more balanced. The roleless buffs are to good to let a player learn there role so you mepps and your development team are the ones creating this new hot mess. Either limit the number of dps in groups or lower the roleless buffs so it is ideal to run all roles but if one is missing you can still complete with just about any group then
    • Like x 3
  14. RLManuel Committed Player

But the que times still suck.... especially for old content but then again why run old content when we can just spam the new content on repeat...

Also, would it hurt if some old raids were brought up to end game level difficulty?

The roleless buff isn't the problem, it's horrible que times, lack of teamwork/lack of trying to be a team, new content staying on repeat, and the community is more toxic than helpful.
  15. BumblingB I got better.

I am confused on that one.

Wait, what? I don't remember seeing that mentioned...? As Mepps posted later in the thread, the roleless buff is only in Alerts, not raids.
    I don't know when you started, but I do remember why this was added. I remember sitting in a queue as a controller in T1 for hours only to still get grouped finally with 3DPS and we not making it through to the first boss before people left. It is a double edge sword, but instead of hurting the group by removing them, I think buffing having the support role would be a better compromise. Moja said there is a buff, but it must not be so great that I didn't even notice it.

In the end of it all, if queues don't pop or players don't complete content, the game loses money. So buffs are here to stay, but they are trying to make them better. For the most part, they haven't been changed since GU7? 8? Whenever they were added. So there is that.
    • Like x 2
  16. BumblingB I got better.

At what point would a player have all of those at his arsenal to be able to say this? T3? T4? I am asking because roleless buffs work from T0 with level 8 Area 51. Which you don't even have a chance to switch to a role yet.
  17. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Even if they had all that dps is still going to be the majority of the community..every mmo ever the DD's are always the majority...

The only difference is most MMOs the support roles pump out very good damage along with their role... eso for instance... healers pump out quite a bit of damage between their healing moves..but there we have access to 12 abilities opposed to 6 here.... thats where there are more support roles in other games ... cause bringing them in doesnt mean the run will be slow maybe by a minute if that
    • Like x 1
  18. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

They try to strike balance. A support role player is supposed to be stronger than the actual buff.

Sometimes, like recently, they miss. This is why this adjustment for troll and healer exist.

Regardless, the role less buff has a negative side to it.

It creates less demand for support roles.

the support roles are left to raids and end game content only.

How fun is that for those that want to play support roles? when 99% of the game is basically off limits?
    • Like x 2
  19. Mystere Well-Known Player

Does the amount of this buff compensate for the lack of the extra dps? If not, it isn't going to change people wanting to run 3 dps - esp if you up the def on enemies.
  20. LT Schmitt Committed Player

Why are so many people so anti rollers buff, I want it stronger!! There is nothing worse than have to look for all the roles for alerts when all you need to do is just que up and hope for a tank or healer. All you have to do is look at LFG and see that there is multiply groups just looking for the healer so they can start. Maybe people need to venture out of their leagues and see how this game is played from the PUGs view point.
    While Im also venting WHY would you want to run 2,2,2,2 or have content that takes longer than 45min, if you want harder or longer content run ELITE and leave everything else alone.
    • Like x 3