Spending SP as an Ice Tank

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Beauwight, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Beauwight Well-Known Player

I've decided to try my hand at tanking, and I've read some guides and such. One thing I still do not get is how Restoration works with tanking. I know it has to do with shields, and those are important for Ice Tanking. Without getting too mathematical, I'm trying to figure out how to spend my Skill Points.

So, as I understood it, you need Health, Dom, Def and then Resto came into it. If I'm reading the guides right, there's a maximum beneficial amount of Def and maybe Health and Dom? As I go down the trees, should I get the Resto over the Health/Dom, or should I get both?

Are there stat numbers that I can see in the Stats tab that will tell me when to lay off one stat or another?

Thanks all.
  2. JasonIsley Devoted Player

Health and Dominance should be your top priority. Restoration and Defense should be next priority. Health is what keeps you alive, Tank gear already has a good amount of Defense baked into it.
    • Like x 2
  3. Beauwight Well-Known Player

Would you recommend taking the Resto at the very bottom of the tree as well as the Health/Dom, or work to maximize Helth/Dom before taking those? Or a combination of the two?

I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but if I'm going to tank, I want to do it right. :D
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Right now it's more beneficial to spec mostly Dom and def via sp but mod resto with your mods. Keep in mind though, the formula will change after the stat revamp and it will be best to go full Dom and defense.
    • Like x 2
  5. SarahCarrygun Well-Known Player

Jason wrote a bulls hit. You dont need health, you dont need deffens (because you will have max deffence in tank gear when you use any spell and stay block). Resto and Dom - these stats are improtant for you. Both reseto and dom has same influance on strenth of your absords (shields). So, your first priority stat in sp is resto, then dominance (in the bottom you should take both 50hp/7dom and 30resto).
    • Like x 4
  6. JasonIsley Devoted Player

Do you want to take this outside?
  7. oasenhoheit Loyal Player

Afaik except for Reflect, to Ice Tanks Dom and Resto are equally valuable for their shields, so I spec Resto and dom first.
    That's also why I rather mod resto than dom for my ice tank, because Resto in mods is even higher than doubled dom of same tier mods.

After that I take health and Defense.

Nice sideeffect about high resto:
    Restorative shielding hands mod and restorative adapter in the weapon profit from high resto, too. :)

PS:
    As was said here before, this is pre stats matter game changes. This can change drastically, as soon as the upcoming changes to stats and powers are implemented.
    • Like x 2
  8. NoPhilosophy Committed Player

What about earth tank and f I'm jackhammering? Sometimes I use HL Shield along with Gemstone
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

They're right though : as an Ice Tank, you don't really need the piddling amount of Health extra that you can spec or mod for, and Defense is pointless since "Tank EQ has more defense than anything else" and "All powers used by Ice in Tank Stance functionally double your defense".

Resto - > Shield Strength, plus added heal on any self-heal abilities.

Dom - > Shield Strength, plus control potency (in a Tank's case, pulls)

For now, as long as you're above your Tier recommendations for Dominance, Resto > Dom because you can gain Resto at around a 4:1 ratio versus Dom, which means the raw Restoration score will ultimately do more for Shield strength, which is literally how Ice stays alive.
    • Like x 4
  10. SarahCarrygun Well-Known Player

where is 'outside'? What is exactly 'that'?
    Do you mean you want to hmm.. do a competition who is better tank or what? you want to scrimmage me for pvp? you want to do a dps competition mb? I dont understand you. If you don't know how does it work and dunno to play tank, no need to give a user desinformation, there are too many bum players without your help already. xDD
  11. The Jelly Bean Dedicated Player

Ice is kinda messed up in how to mod. But after doing the math and adding stuff up...speccing skill points into dominance and health/dom is what you need to do. Any additional defense is pointless as max damage mitigation is already reached with gear.
    When you mod, use health/resto as you get more health and get more shield strength from resto than what a straight dom mod gives you. You only need minimum dom to pull ads anyways. More resto also means better regenerative shield heal as well. And also since resto stat is higher than dom stat, the league hall buffs/omega will increase resto by a bigger amount.

Here's the problem, there's no resto/dom plan! Ugh...
    • Like x 1
  12. JasonIsley Devoted Player

I have a league mate who is an ice tank, that spec works for him. If you have a different opinion, I myself (and anyone else you disagree with) would be appreciative if you didn't call us bullsh**. Thank you in advance.
  13. Bose Well-Known Player

You want to spec more resto then Ver Dom because your shields absorb damage based off 100%Resto+100%Dom=Total damage absorption. And the shields that work like that are, Bitter Winds, Shatter Restraints, Winter Ward. Reflects damage protection is 10,000+100%Dom.
  14. Here2Help Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  15. Jeazy Baby Dedicated Player

After you have the minimum Dom for the content, it is more beneficial to spec into Resto over Dom. As others have stated 100%Resto+100%Dom=Total damage absorption.

so for the last tier its 7dom (14 role) or 30resto. Resto wins.

Not that it makes much of a difference in current content anyway.
    • Like x 1
  16. The Jelly Bean Dedicated Player

50 health and 7 dominance as a tank is 50 health and 14 dominance. 30 resto is just 30 resto. So 50+14=64/point > 30/point. You get more than double the benefits speccing into health/dom than resto. As for modding, going into health/resto > dom.

This was Without league hall buffs just to dumb it down a bit.