Need help with earth tanking.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Caz, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Caz Active Player

I been a earth tank for about a month. I really love it however I find it very hard and squishy.I use brick for tanking and I mod straight health. With my 221sp I spec dom, health, and crit heals any advice on earth tanking will be greatly appreciated. I just want to make earth look good cause I know its a great tank just don't know what i'm doing wrong.
  2. Here2Help Devoted Player

These are my two loadouts:

Earthen Grip - Epicentre - Gemstone Shield - Totem - Brick - Fortify
    Earthen Grip - Epicentre - Gemstone Shield - Aftershock - Soothing Sands - Unstoppable

As you said you're Brick tanking, the first loadout will apply. I noticed you said you mod Health, I personally mod Dom & Health as I feel it increases my Effective Health and survivability for myself and Brick much more than straight Health. I also don't go for Crit Heals as it's not really needed as Earth and instead go for Defense/Dom/Health when possible on the top row of stats. As a Brick Tank you will want to ensure that Fortify is always on CD whilst positioning enemies with Earthen Grip and Epicentre. Use Totem to help with maintaining aggro and keeping Brick alive. Something I like to do as Earth is placing my Totem where I know adds will spawn but I might not be able to pull straight away (such as in SM with the three add spawns per wave). You will want to try stay in block for as much as possible whilst always keeping your mitigation and extra defense active, but try to fish for immunities and counter bosses and adds. Use Gemstone Shield for healing (if running with Regenerative Shielding in your Hands Socket which I recommend) and to reduce damage intake when you feel like you are about to take a lot of damage.
    • Like x 5
  3. Tilz Loyal Player

Crit heal only helps on soothing sands.. nit really worth.
    what is your loadout?

As an earth tank you will turtle alot and the you will go for fast counters.
    Personally i do not prefer brick but thats me.

Loadour
    Low pressure (range multipull from flight/earthern grip (multitaunt, singlepul.) or lasso as single
    Epicenter
    Brick
    Fortify
    Soothing sands
    Gemstone

Keep your pets safe with fortify. In things like sm where you do not need any grouping of adds or bosses without adds like SM replace epicenter with totem for brick
    • Like x 4
  4. Tilz Loyal Player

Damn crit beat me -.- i agree to everything he says
    • Like x 2
  5. Here2Help Devoted Player

;)
  6. Caz Active Player

ty both I run gemstone shield, lasso, fortify golem, soothing sands, and epicenter. I also was told to mod full health so I will definetly change that. Now would modding full dom be better since I can buff my health with a trinket?
  7. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

R1.. It's the only feature for Tanks.
    • Like x 1
  8. Caz Active Player

and farming for immunities, battlefield awareness etc.:)
    • Like x 2
  9. Here2Help Devoted Player

In the current state of the game I wouldn't recommend modding straight Dominance. A fellow Earth user in my league feels that straight Dominance might be the better route to take after Stats Matters with the changes they're doing to Stats but I'll be waiting for the Earth update before I decide. As of now Dominance & Health is what I believe to be the route for Brick Tanks whilst straight Health is better for Aftershocking. If you don't want to remod, you'll still be able to Brick Tank just fine with straight Health but Dominance & Health will get slightly better results, especially for your Brick's survivability.
  10. Caz Active Player

dom n health it is. ty so much!!
  11. Caz Active Player

ty also:)
  12. Here2Help Devoted Player

No problem :)
  13. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I mod health in blues. Dom/power in yellow and health in reds. My Brick loadout out is LP, SS, Unstoppable, Totem. FG and Brick. I tend to clip FG with Unstoppable for a juggle and aggro refresh. Totem is another juggle for me.
    • Like x 1
  14. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Can't add much to what Crit said. He's pretty spot on with the playstyle that most of us adopt.
    • Like x 4
  15. Caz Active Player

ty. I tried modding that way and struggled with it. I have went dom n health kinda..... still have some health mods but looking to go all blues dom n health and give it a try.
  16. Caz Active Player

ty for your input. I'm currently remodding dom n health in blues hopefully it helps me out. any tips are greatly appreciated ty.
  17. Here2Help Devoted Player

Well all of the basics are in my above post. Nothing else too important can really be said. It's all about properly applying that knowledge into good gameplay.
    • Like x 2
  18. Caz Active Player

I also redid my sp and put sp into defense/toughness. I never done that cause I was told it wasn't worth it, also ran sm today and was doing really good health never dropped and when the group wiped I was still alive. So maybe I was spec wrong idk but what you told me really helped ty.:)
    • Like x 1
  19. Nuclear Winter Well-Known Player

Hey Caz,

I'm curious how your new tank setup is working for you, and hoping you're enjoying better success with all the above advice. I switched from brick-tanking to aftershock over a year ago because, at least back then, it seemed that whenever Brick was resummoned (after getting ko'ed) he'd come back super-squishy. Also (personal opinion) aftershocking is a much more 'active' tanking experience. That said, I've been considering giving him another try so if you're running Brick I'd really like to know your opinion.

My aftershock loadout is the same as Here2Help's, just in a different tray order. As an experiment more than anything else, I included a partial focus on self-healing, somewhat along the lines of your earlier approach. People have advised me against going the self-healing route (some here seem to be of the same opinion, i.e. don't waste time/resources on it), and to be honest I haven't done any actual testing (rainy day project maybe), but it's a lot of fun and seems to be somewhat effective (notice it most when running Oly or GoM with a solo healer):

Gemstone Shield - Earthen Grip - Epicenter - Soothing Sands - Jackhammer - Unstoppable

Tactical mods:
    Weapon - Restorative adapter (heal yourself and 3 others, every 60 seconds)
    Neck - Fortified blocking (prevent ~80% damage)
    Back - Breakout regeneration (4-second heal-over-time after using breakout)
    Feet - Deadly block
    Chest - Quick healing (10% bonus to healing received from both healers and self-heals)
    Hands - Regenerative shielding

R&D mods:
    Blue: Health + Dominance
    Red: Precision + Dominance
    Yellow: Restoration + Health

SP:
    Along with standard tank stats (defense, health, dominance), for any weapons I mastered I made sure to include resto, extra crit healing, & crit healing chance (including health/dominance & resto bottom row bonuses). With your 221 sp you should be able to get most of those (mine has 253 and I'm running out of places to put them).

Whatever route you end up taking, good luck! :D
  20. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Not my tank. :p (atomic)
    • Like x 2