Ok so dom does not cause agro from what people tell me.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TyragonFuzoom, Dec 27, 2016.

1. light FX Steadfast Player

I still see people ingame who think dom affects aggro. Mostly dps only players who have never tanked at all. Reading and understanding seems to be a complicated thing these days :p
    • Like x 5
  2. SheerFaith Committed Player

Somehow strange to see those discussions year by year and over and over again..
    • Like x 1
  3. hoaxone Committed Player

This topic is so 2011....
    • Like x 4
  4. TyragonFuzoom Level 30

Ok so my question is if dom doesn't help you maintain then why is with the higher my dom the easier it is to keep agro.

I read dom and the tanking moves and we are using control effects does this mean it is because of the control effect lasting longer just like a possible invisible tick somewhat like if a dps uses his dot and gets aggro.

The last possible tick is where the hate might go because I have seen raids where tanks can't keep agro and as soon as a dps uses a power the tank drops agro.

I am just trying to find the connection because I played since beta and dom has always been a part of agro even from back then.

I know some devs have commented but others have look at that dev with distaste.

All I know is the higher my dom the easier it is to keep agro and other tanks who try to be a battle tank usually loses this agro and the dps get it.

I personally will keep on trying to have my dom maxed out because it works for what ever reason it just works.

I also think the tanks who think dom isn't needed to help maintain agro will keep on losing it and I hope in that in all my near future raids that if i am dps'n that they feel the same, because I am tired of having to switch in order to finish a raid.
  5. Jeazy Baby Dedicated Player

as someone who has solo tanked many raids without enough dom to even pull adds. I can assure you that this is not true. I think what you are seeing here is scripted attacks and most likely Tanks who aren't good at countering the boss. Dominance has nothing to do with aggro. it affects CC effects and survivabillity(depending on type of tank) but never aggro.
    • Like x 4
  6. Delta796th Loyal Player

Looks like it's time for me to break out my old sig with the Spytle quote on it.....
    • Like x 4
  7. TyragonFuzoom Level 30

I know this quote but I still feel like it does help with aggro due to the fact that I have played since beta and it was a factor back then and it does seem like it is still in the program somewhere. Either way I will keep my dom maxed and steadily stay one of the good tanks sorry if I don't agree with everyone but it seems a lot of tanks are losing aggro these days where I am not. For what ever reason to me it doesn't matter. I'd just wish I didn't have to switch in straight pugs to get the raid done.
  8. Delta796th Loyal Player

No, do your thing bro...if you are completing content then good for you.
    Certain tanks use more dom for healing, certain use resto with shields. All we were getting at is that DOM itself, has never had anything to do with the aggro. It's simply recasting a power that draws the aggro in tank stance to NPC in close enough proximity. This is only trumped by a super taunt, or scripted aggro dump.
    • Like x 2
  9. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Lordy ... so many things to correct it's making my brain hurt. I think I've pared it down, though:

DoTs do not continue to establish aggro. How much threat you generate in the 20-second window before the hate table refreshes determines your place on the list ... DoTs, HoTs, PoT, and otherwise.

Taunt size has nothing to do with the size of the power's AoE. It's either a melee taunt or a ranged taunt. All standard taunts are 15m around yourself, ranged taunts are 15m around yourself and 15m around your target, plus the area between.

Dominance does not affect aggro. I nearly plotzed when the OP pulled out the "been playing since beta." Dominance has never affected aggro.

It definitely will feel like you have a better handle on the boss and other NPCs when you have more dominance, because your damage mitigation is higher (making things easier overall, as well as allowing you to keep up the taunt schedule), you can pull things right on top of you and (nowadays) control them for longer. Having a handle on things is not the same as aggro. Aggro refers to a specific mechanic of overriding the order of the hate table.

If there's any way I can make this clearer on the guide, please let me know so I can update it:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/aggravating-guide-about-aggro.276139/
    • Like x 6
  10. Gimpy Loyal Player

If dominance affected agro a Quantum DPs with little to no dominance would never be able to gain agro from anyone, yet consistently quantum dps gains agro from the rest of the group.
  11. Korlick Loyal Player

Not only that...but there is also people that still believe that DoT powers are better to maintain it.
    • Like x 3
  12. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

You started off with something true ... a DPS that is getting attention having nothing to do with dominance,
    then went on to a falsehood ... one powerset getting attention the rest do not.

Perhaps the quantum is throwing the Time Bomb just before the fight starts, making the tank have to establish aggro after the hate table has already been established. I see it a lot with healers, where they'll set up their HoT or trolls that will throw PoT at a wall. Just because you didn't actually hit the boss doesn't mean you didn't start the fight.

Perhaps the quantum is in a no-tank situation with Mental or Gadgets. Mental players use Grandeur, and Gadgets use Distract. Both are detaunts. I don't know for certain offhand, but I believe the cooldown on these is 20 seconds ... the same as the hate table refresh. It's great in duos to always be on the bottom of the hate list, and have a personal shield, and a shortcut to the full AM damage ... unless you're the other guy who doesn't have it.
    • Like x 2
  13. spack2k Steadfast Player

exactly , runing UT in a no-tank group i always end up having aggro all the time as quantum dps and iam usually always last in damage out ... weird i guess its because other dps powers like mental/gadget constantly reset their aggro in the rotation while earth/sorcery split their damage between player and pet...
  14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Here is what I think. ;)
  15. Gimpy Loyal Player

All I can say is, go into content as a Quantum DPs and watch what happens to you.
    Also there was no "falsehood", I did not mention any other power-sets, I said from the rest of the group,

and it does.

I end up playing a DPS tank in content because of the way everything just locks on and won't let go.
  16. Backseid Devoted Player

So long as you are in Tank stance, you will get and maintain aggro the same regardless if you are fully geared or completely naked.

Being able to "control" the enemy, is a completely different mechanic.
    • Like x 5
  17. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

The short summary of undrlne's great tanking guide:
    - in tank stance every power is a AOE taunt (except the single taunt)
    - a taunt lasts 12 seconds, unless a scripted attack or another taunt overwrites it
    - the maximum of NPCs a tank can aggro is 8
    - Like all other powers, aggro follows line of sight rules
    • Like x 1
  18. Proxystar #Perception

I'm sorry man, I should've told you sooner, I've been running with shadow concoction to make you always get the hate so you thought quantum inherently gained hate. I've been doing it for ages, it's been a fun time, but I can't let this go on ;)
    • Like x 3
  19. motionsick Well-Known Player

I've definitely seen this. The Minotaur will have serious wood for the Quantums DPS, but Earth and Mental will not even exist to the Minotaur as they stand there and totally trash the Quantum player (who's busing getting the horns) in damage. Awesome! (unless you're Quantum)
    • Like x 1
  20. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

wrong, higher your dom allows you to CC adds NEXT to you and keep them there at best with juggles, knock ups, pulls and such.

Casting a power in tank stance grants you aggro for 8-12 seconds. Regardless of dom.