Tier scaling instead of CR scaling

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by kAiSeR007, May 16, 2015.

1. Sore Steadfast Player

I gotcha. I just don't really care about those things. I play the game. I have fun. I get stuff. I keep playing the game. Popping a soda to compete on the scoreboard with someone 2CR more than me isn't a part of my experience.
    • Like x 9
  2. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

There's people who like it and people who dont.
    get over yourselves. You dont rule the game, the devs do.

There were a mess load of issues before hand anyway. Change happens whether you like it or not.
    This is all trivial and sounds like hurt pride and ego.. to that crowd, just stop. Shut up.
    Also sounds like vets getting the blues, which is understandable. This game has fallen.
  3. Remander Steadfast Player

I feel like I'm talking to people in a different language. It's clear you either don't understand or don't want to understand. Either way, these circular arguments are pointless. Whine, pout, quit for all I care. It's really quite laughable to me how hung up people are getting over some shifting of numbers in a math equation. I'm done. Carry on.
    • Like x 4
  4. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Clearly not shifting, when they added a new variable(the most important variable at that) to the equation. If you refuse to see why people have a problem with it, then don't complain why people don't see how you see it. Simple really.
    • Like x 2
  5. Remander Steadfast Player

Good grief.

Prior to GU 47:

Increasing CR = exponential stat increase

After GU 47:

Increasing CR = linear stat increase * exponential scalar = exponential stat increase

The scalar was just split out. Same equation. Same result. What people seem to dislike the most is how the difficulty scale was adjusted behind the scenes. That is to say, T5 isn't as easy to a T6 player now. That's independent of stat flattening or relative CR scaling. That could have been done with the old system. The mathematical changes were made to clean things up and address current and foreseeable issues, which Tunso clearly explained in the original thread on the subject. The difficulty change was so content wasn't trivialized so quickly. That was explained by Spytle, as I recall.
    • Like x 3
  6. MentosTroll Loyal Player

you like it. i don't like it. world turns.
    • Like x 2
  7. Remander Steadfast Player

Here's a point worth addressing, as it may help folks see the differences and similarities.

In the old system, the toon in IL 102 gear fully-modded would have a CR of 117. The toon in beta-modded IL 108 gear would have a CR around 110, IIRC. With the prior exponential stat progression, the 108 gear would actually have much better stats, as it would be 6 ILs higher. That toon would be stronger, even with the weaker beta mods and lower CR.

In the new system, the toon in IL 102 gear would have a CR of 117, regardless of modding. The toon in the IL 108 gear would have a CR of 124, regardless. The stat difference would likely be much less, due to the linear progression. I'm not sure if the stats on the 102 gear toon would actually be greater, though. If you have this calculated out already, I'll take your word for it. Again, the toon in the 108 gear will be stronger. This time, it's because the higher CR augments the gear stats, making them more exponential, like they were in the first example.

Does that make any better sense? If not, I'm going to declare this exercise futile. For real, this time. ;)
    • Like x 1
  8. kAiSeR007 Dedicated Player

I get it perfectly Rema. Before and after GU47 CR was affecting indirectly or directly our damage out. But forget about the comparison, I'm not interested in comparing both scenarios.

Right now, live servers, your damage and withstand is dependant on your CR. When you are under the NPC CR despite being in the same tier your damage and withstand gets penalised. Your damage has a big if, which is your CR, which is dependant on loot, which has locks and is luck based.

This is very noticeable now, more than ever. Matter of fact, people pushing to CR+120 to get HH Elite done in day two. I honestly don't think any dev team wants to get their Elite raid been beaten ONLY two days after releasing it.

If I'm capable of running T7 (or whatever tier) I don't get why my damage or withstand has to be punished so badly compared to other players if we both have CRs belonging to the same Tier. In my opinion the most noticiable changes in damage between these two players should be Skill and stats, not th actual CR penalisation.

Basically, the CR penalisation is too big, that can sum up everything.

No need to get desperate Rema :p
    • Like x 2
  9. Remander Steadfast Player

See my post above yours, Kaiser. May make more sense. There were clear differences within tier before this change.
  10. Supergirly Dedicated Player

So basically you are saying. NERF QUANTUM! :p
  11. kAiSeR007 Dedicated Player

I get it Rema, perfectly. Before exponential growth of the stats and after linear growth but with CR condition making it exponential as well. Still I don't feel OK with it. The differences between players were not as pronounced as they are now, at least in my experience.
    • Like x 2
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

Is it exactly the same? I have no idea. It is at least similar. Also, keep in mind that there are two significant bugs currently. One involves Max Damage and appears to benefit certain powersets, like Quantum and Mental, over others. The other involves an apparent cap of 500 on weapon DPS, which negatively affects precision-based powersets. That may be mucking up the waters somewhat.
    • Like x 1
  13. Shad0wReap3r Committed Player

The problem with "how it was before" is just that it was not sustainable. As the devs have stated, enemies were ignoring close to 90% of our defense at the point we were at. To continue the path we were on, stats would have to continue on their extreme uphill climb to keep it working.

We were left with a choice of A. having stats in the 100,000s - 1,000,000s, or adjusting the effect of these stats based on CR. Adjusting based on CR was the more realistic option, as eventually our numbers would be almost meaningless anyway. Also to note, at some point in time, defense would reach a point where enemies would be ignoring 99.999999% of our defense, which would make defense an unmanageable stat.

Also, I do agree, when a new episode drops, CR will matter more for a short time. You are wrong on the exception to the rule, as we will eventually have 6 months worth of content available at all times. When we are at the end of our "6 month band", then the only place where CR will matter more is the 1 month of content ahead of us. We will have 5 months worth of content behind us(but still relevant) where stats will matter more than CR because you will be a higher CR than the enemies in all 5 months of that content.
    • Like x 3
  14. MentosTroll Loyal Player

I really hope you are right, and hopefully that 6 month relevancy would be sliding as you described.
  15. Shad0wReap3r Committed Player

From what we have been told by the devs related to this matter, this is how the sliding 6 month content will work. We were also all warned that during HoP2 and the first few months of "monthly" episodes, we would not have our full 6 months. Once we get to the 3rd month of monthly episodes, we will have 6 months.

When we get our 4th month, part of HoP2 should become irrelevant(not sure how they will cut it up) and a new month should be relevant again. I am somewhat worried that on month 4 of monthly content, they will mistakenly make all of HoP2 absolete, making us wait another 3 months for a full 6 months. I think they should cut it like this, as it follows their monthly guidelines:

month 4 of monthly content: NgN and League Hall is cut
    month 5 of monthly content: Fatal and daily is cut
    month 6 of monthly content: HH and Resource Recovery is cut

The duos can be interchanged in this scenario, but the idea is still the same. This gives us the exact amount of content we were told would be in our sliding 6 month band.

Also on min/maxing as you stated before, this will still be possible. You don't get to the point of min/maxing until you are at max CR anyways, for the most part. At this point stats will be what is giving you your damage/defense potential, not CR, so this is still possible.
    • Like x 3
  16. lukelucky Devoted Player

i soloed fos3 but gates was taking some time. b4 our stat inflation of t5 you were full t4. yea go solo t2 and t3 at full t4. sure i garuntee the % of people who could if any would be closer to as is now after gu47. game was funner back then so as the bugs get worked out this improves the game IMO
  17. Sore Steadfast Player

For a silver lining, at least "set bonus" gear doesn't mean increasing our CR in this new system. I hope people are thinking about that.
    • Like x 1
  18. DrTyme Well-Known Player

No I'm saying I was the same power as them so it'd make no difference what power the point is a 114 can keep up with 120 if they know what they're doing
  19. Powerhouse70 Well-Known Player

Im running without mods in half of my gear right now.

That alone should tell you something is wrong with these new changes to CR.
    • Like x 3
  20. inferno Loyal Player

This is issue has been nagging at the back of my mind after the gu47 combat scaling notes were released by tunso. So, Kaiser, you're saying that the stats that were increased by purchasing gear which separated you from your friend by 5 cr is NOT the reason for the difference in damage? I see why you could say that as the stats increase in 5 pieces of gear is not enough to lead to almost double in damage.

So from CR 117 to CR 122 they are in different (scales?) of damage?

The NPCs in HOP2 is at 125 cr, I thought Tunso said that differential combat adjustments do not occur until after your CR is over the NPC cr?