Skill Points

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aokiji, Apr 28, 2015.

1. BlazeChamp Committed Player

To sum this whole thread up:

Skill points are for those who want to think they're good.
    • Like x 3
  2. ChuckLess New Player

What on Earth are you talking about? :confused:
  3. Dogico Loyal Player

Not too sure how you came to that conclusion.
    • Like x 5
  4. BA Baracus Well-Known Player

Skill points SHOULD be more important than they are. Devs looking at you - _-
    • Like x 2
  5. ezluckyfree Active Player

It's not really being an elitist if you think you are better than some players. Assuming and believing that every player with low amounts of skill points to be bad players is. And throughout this whole thread, not one person has really stated that SP determines skill, yet you just constantly accuse people of being elitists for simply having an opinion.

Seriously, I think the word "elitist" is the most used word in your vocabulary

• Like x 7
  6. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

When I started playing the game 18 months ago DPS players had to have at a minimum of 85+ SP to be effective and support roles were a bit lower for Trolls and Healers around 60-70 were the lowest acceptable levels. Tanks required a bit more, especially fire tanks.

Fast forward to WM being introduce. This brought about SP becoming a very important stat and it is to a point the point was for AFI and HOP I. These DLC we saw the difference between a player with 150 and 77 SP with the same power.

Move forward a bit and WotL II the stats of the gear and more powers getting an AM along with updates that made damage out by players with less SP almost on the same level as those with SP. SP since update 43 has been less important due to all the bonuses one gets now from using the AM.

It has been about a year since WM was introduce and it would be nice to see another update impacting SP; making it important once again in the game. Making players who pursue SP feel like the extra SP they have matter. Like it did a year ago when WM launched.

I remember going into some T3 Raids and being the lone player with WM. In fact, there were some T5 player who did not have my level of SP. As a troll with WM I was able to out damage the low SP T5 player.

As someone who always tries to improve his toons through gear and SP; I hope they become important again.

Maybe modify the level 3 stats and make those stats a % increase of a static stat. For instance, each one invested provides a 2.5% increase in X stat.

If that happens, you will see a shift here where SP will start to matter again.
  7. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

Yes it is...hence the meaning of the term
  8. Dogico Loyal Player

No it isn't; Elitism is choosing not to run with low sp players or low cr players. He never said that.
    • Like x 4
  9. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

Yes it is. Elitism is the act of thinking that those who are "better" should be elevated. Hence the mindset of "i am better than you, so my word means more or i deserve more privilege". In this instance it is those who think they "require" SP to play high content which correlates with those that kick lower-SP players from their groups due to this mindset. They think "Oh no we will fail because i think you cant do the content because of those worthless numbers i value"
  10. ezluckyfree Active Player

noun
    "a person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or dominated by an elite.
    • a person who believes that they belong to an elite "

"Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals who form an elite"

"elitist. (of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society"

"
    being or characteristic of a person who has an offensive air of superiority and tends to ignore or disdain anyone regarded as inferior"

Those are four definitions of the word "elitist," from four different dictionaries / sources found on Google, I can keep going if you like.
    Again, if I challenged someone in a video game and I consistently beat them, that doesn't make me an elitist for being better than that person at a game. Discriminating someone and refusing to run with someone solely based on skill points would be "elitism."
  11. ezluckyfree Active Player

Not once have I ever stated that "i am better than you, so my word means more or i deserve more privilege." Even using the line that you quoted me on, "It's not really being an elitist if you think you are better than some players," did I once mention skill points ?
  12. MeloMan New Player

They were important b4 gu47. Once gu47 goes live they are devalued alot. And dont believe some who show screenshots of 100sp stats compared to 200sp stats. Ive seen some videos on youtube that got pasted on here and the 2 people who made those videos dont know how to spec their sp. Its plain as day to see as all u need to do is the math to see how wrong they are. And anyone here that tells u they are not important is either badly misinformed or has low sp.
  13. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

I didnt say YOU stated anything other than a false-definition of Elitism. Im starting to think you didnt read the thread at all. If i state "SP are not needed to complete content" but so many people freak out and claim im wrong then i think that constitutes that they disagree. Do i really have to explain any further than that? Seriously i should not have to spoon feed you
  14. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

Or plays the game without massive SP and succeeds just fine...
  15. Benn 10 Committed Player

How is this so? Lol
  16. MeloMan New Player

I didnt say anything about completing content did? Nice try to twist what i said into something else. My point was anyone who is telling u they are NOT important are misinformed or have low sp. Pretty easy to see what i said. Nowhere in my post does it say u cant complete content without high sp.
  17. MrB Dedicated Player

Most likely both. But idk about GU47 and stats. Some say they will become much more important and they are boosting the innates.

I got better analogy this time.

If you have low sp you're like a under inflated tire on a vehicle with 8 tires. Yes there are 7 other tire on the vehicle but you being under inflated puts a strain on the other 7 tires nothing too bad but still noticeable. Now if couple other tires are under inflated then you can really see that its a problem.

Now if all of the tires are filled with air properly, in out case the air is sp and players are tires, then the vehicle is a smooth well made machine or in our case raid group.

In conclusion its better to have more sp under the belt instead of having less.

I really like analogies :)
  18. Dogico Loyal Player

Your logic is somewhat flawed, as Ez never equated his being better than most players to deserving more privilege. Believing that one is better than others doesn't mean one is an elitist. You're putting words into his mouth and coming to conclusions entirely on your own.

I have 215 sp. My skill points are more reflective of the amount of time I've played this game (3 years) than my skill level. I know that, as do most experienced players. I would never kick someone with low skill points from a group nor would I make a sp requirement when forming a group because I don't believe it's necessary.

Having said that, I'm also confident enough in my ability to know that I'm better at this game than about 80% of the community. I don't say that as bragging (because it isn't, it's just a ******* video game at the end of the day), there is no hubris in that statement. There is nothing wrong with admitting that some people are good, some people are average, and some people suck.
    • Like x 2
  19. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

*facepalm* "Important" means they matter, since content can be completed with or without them what makes them so damn important?
  20. Drake Malice Dedicated Player

Do you have numbers to back up this absurd percentage? Because that is Hubris, unless you can prove it and can also quantify the meaning of "better" in regards to this statement then YES this is arrogant Elitism