Creating DCUO 2

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Patriarch Defense, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

(snort) "Initially slated for release in 2009, DC Universe Online took 150 programmers and artists across four U.S. cities 5 1/2 years to complete, at a cost of more than $50 million." http://herocomplex.latimes.com/game...r-audience-that-world-of-warcraft-cant-touch/

And SOE started with years of background making games like this. Given how the complexity expectations have gone up since 2009, starting from scratch I wouldn't touch making a DCUO competitor today if you gave me $100M to do it.
    • Like x 8
  2. Patriarch Defense Active Player

If I have the backing in $$$ then that is the Title i'm shooting for. I know a lot of red tape will be involved but i'm willing to push through and try my hardest to make this game what DCUO always should have been.
    • Like x 1
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

You do realize you would need a team of at least 30 to even get any near close to done in 7 years. Not to mention the license, pay hurdles etc. It would take alot of work for you alone to accomplish.
  4. Patriarch Defense Active Player

Hey look how Bungie made Halo from scratch on a small team. If you have a focused team what is stopping you.
  5. Ninja'd Dedicated Player

Great idea in theory but very costly. Here is an except if you make a game that receives $3000 in profits.
    In the Apple example they provided you earn $10 in sales. 30% of that profit goes to Apple. You now have $7. Your royalty fee is 5% of the sales number ($10) even though you have less money now. So now you have $6.50 Okay so that sounds alright for a small company. But for a company like Daybreak is where things couldn't be harder. Below is a list of major things that need to happen first if DCUO2 is in the making.
    • New license agreements. The license renewal was only for DCUO. It can not be used for DCUO2. (It can, but only if there is a clause that authorizes DC intellectual property for DCUO2.)
    • A larger developer crew.
    • At least $50,000,000.00 (This amount may also be an underestimate.)
    • At least several years to build a custom game engine for DCUO2. It took about 4 years (I think) for DCUO beta to be released. Better hope the Unreal 4 isn't outdated then.
    • PS4. It is completely possible that the PS4 will be like is the PS3 now. Seems absurd now but technology's trend is making things better and more efficient. ( I know about PC specs but please don't mention anything about that.)
    Now I know I left other major things but lets look if the proposed scenario occurs. Daybreak now has:
    • Increased cost of maintaining servers. (Assuming DCUO is not shutdown.)
    • Maintenance Costs
    • Royalties for Epic, DC and whoever else was in the process of the legal license contract.
    • Risk of the game not panning out. (Meaning it sucks and it's not worth the consumer's money.)
    I know I left more stuff out. It's impossible for me to list everything since I do not work for Daybreak. However, anyone can see that the process of making a MMO (or any game really) is risky, expensive and time-consuming. It seems highly unlikely to occur now;especially if crossplay is coming soon. If anything Daybreak may think about DCUO 2 several years from now.

TL;DR: Read the forum post.
    • Like x 5
  6. ShadowStyleB New Player

Well it is hard to please everyone. Just so you know if you're going to stick closely the comics you're going to have to be spot on with your writing and delivering a good story and tempo to the game.
    • Like x 1
  7. Sabigya Steadfast Player

So basically cut and remove the combat system that is unique to DCUO and differentiates it from other MMO's?
    DCUO "1" cost 50 million dollars to produce. Ranking it #35 in the most expensive video game budget list. Unless you got Bill Gates backing this, possibility is 0.
    Do you realize how much power and server processing power it takes to hold a MMO?
    Good luck getting in DC to give licencing to a person who "is going to school for this".
    "going to school" for something does not automatically grant you magical powers to create a video game. Just as how a person going to medical school does not magically become a brain surgeon.
    Did I mention DCUO has a giant cooperation backing it up [Previously Sony now Columbus Nova] with Developers who are used to making video games and maintaing it?
    • Like x 10
  8. Patriarch Defense Active Player

Looking for good writers!
  9. Vesper Dedicated Player

LOL.

Just......LOL.

Issue 1) Don't post this on your competitor's web-forum. Because that's what this proposed game is: competition.
    Issue 2) Get your team in place BEFORE going to Unreal or DC/Warner.
    Issue 3) Get a more realistic idea of the amount of TIME and WORK involved: "several months to come and putting a team together" WHILE going to school too? ROFLMAO.

This game was in production for YEARS before it went live. It is STILL being fixed, tweaked, updated. You aren't looking at a "several months" process. The legal and IP issues alone are years of work, ASSUMING that there isn't an exclusivity clause in Daybreak's MMO licensing contract with DC/Warner.

Let's see: You have no experience, no team, no legal, no license, and no money. Sum it up: No Chance.
    • Like x 8
  10. ChuckLess New Player

I was trying not to poo poo all over this thread, but after the last two posts...

Never mind. It's just too much to say.

Kids in school. Lol. Think they know it all after one semester...
    • Like x 5
  11. ShadowStyleB New Player

Well it is relative as far as good writers go. I am a writer but I don't work for free. You should look into something first after you come up with a business plan and that is doing a Kickstarter or some other type of crowd funding before you start asking for people to work with you on this project. No one wants to go through the pains of making a game especially a MMO without knowing a plan of action (business model) and what type of funding there is.
    • Like x 1
  12. Patriarch Defense Active Player

There is also Kickstarter's for the $$$ and yes down the line will be looking at recruiting other game developers interested in this game even if have to look out of states to do so. Their are 2 other Super Hero games coming out that are kickstarter's from City of Heroes. So if they can do it why not try.
  13. ShadowStyleB New Player

Those two spiritual successors of that game have also been in development for a couple of years.
  14. ChuckLess New Player

Cause they actually know how to do it? One of those games is comprised of people that worked on CoH.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't know why, but this clip came to mind.

It was either that or my favorite Princess Bride clip lol
    • Like x 3
  16. Patriarch Defense Active Player

Btw this could also start as a school project lucky a lot of professors have connections not just in gaming but the know how on all the legal works that gets involved with video games. Those connections also can pull in different developers.
  17. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Except those kickstarter campaigns were thought out extremely carefully and none of the games there have a massive licence such as DC.

Success rate for kickstarter is 38%. Want to know how many projects have gained $1 million? 97. Only 97 and out of the 97 only 41 are games and you are here proposing a project that will cost well beyond 50 million dollars since it's meant to be "leaps and bounds ahead of DCUO"
    I will have what ever you are smoking.
    • Like x 5
  18. ShadowStyleB New Player

Ok from that statement I can tell you're still in school and possible just starting. If it were that easy more games would be made by college kids than there are already and mind you there are quite a few but mostly just mobile games or self-published indie games but not MMO's or AAA games.
  19. Patriarch Defense Active Player

The good thing is I can also pull in other Universities to work on this project nation wide so have that expertise can be a great place to start and give students the knowledge and the know how on what it takes to create a game from scratch.
  20. Patriarch Defense Active Player

Actually i'm close to being done with my degree but we do make small indie type games in class which I've created but haven't released. It will be a great way to get other Universities to get involved and give college students a opportunity to start somewhere.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.