Shields...

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Saevis, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Saevis New Player

Hello, It has come to my attention how imbalanced shields are.
    Healer shields are by far the weakest shields! Yet in healing role description, it says healers are for healing, buffing, and shielding... Yet our shields are crap. Healer shields are broken and need to be fixed to take all damage it is intended to take and shield for its entire duration.

With 9.8k resto, a sorcery shield wont last 3 seconds, while a mental shield (DPS mind you) will last for far longer (it's entire duration) This is a major imbalance, and healing role has been deprived of it's proper shielding for far too long. Healing role needs it proper shielding.

Shields are nerfed in pvp, overnerfed if you ask me.
    The only non healer shield that is weak as healer shields is Rage's shield. This needs to be changed.
    • Like x 1
  2. vikteren Well-Known Player

correct me if I am wrong but healer shields go on four members of the party and are 125% or resto right. Don't the shields all shields have a max times hit? troll shields are dom plus resto but they don't get resto or dom anywhere near healer stats. Same with tanks. If the shields are ending before they are suppose to then we do have issues.
    • Like x 1
  3. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Healer shields are the strongest shields in the game (next to Reflection assuming Restoration is low enough). With 9800 Restoration you'd be able to absorb 12 250 damage from a single attack (before blocking; and up to 3 spaced-out attacks actually). The difference is a Healer shield could break early due to a hit threshold that Controller shields don't have.

Per hit you are absorbing about the same or more than Ice's Reflection (depending on their Dominance) with the Restoration you have.

However that said recent changes to Time Bubble and Telekinetic Shield lead me to believe that the intended functions for all shields is to break after a hit threshold. SOE backed off with these changes due to community outcry but that doesn't change the fact that on 2 separate occasions the change was attempted.
    • Like x 1
  4. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Healer Shields last for 3 hits so that is possibly what you are seeing.
    • Like x 1
  5. Saevis New Player

healer shields are the worst shields in the game. this hit threshold or whatever needs to be changed, for all of the healer shields. Make it worthwhile to use shields. Healer shields have the ability to possibly absorb a lot of damage, on ONE HIT. Do you think that is fair? I don't. They need to remove hit threshold on healer shields as there is no reason it should be one.
  6. Saevis New Player

it is, and I don't think that is right. 9.8k resto (unbuffed) and yet my shield is crap compared to any non healing power shield. This needs to be fixed.
  7. Saevis New Player

honest to god, shields in general don't last 15 seconds. they don't they need to fix it so they do (pending your stats) or correct it. Healer shields do hit 4 members, but they're ineffective.
  8. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Can't really have healer shields protecting teammates for 12k damage now can you? Taking Boon of Souls for example as it covers 4 teammates. You would have effectively stopped 48k damage.
    Healing is already easy as it is, with the amount of resto granted by the gear. Healing Shields are to stop a few attacks or a large shot, not protect teammates forever.
  9. Saevis New Player

"protect teammates forever" this is pve we're talking about, you're supposed to (technically) survive forever, or atleast attempt too. removing hit threshold wouldn't hurt a thing. Also, DPS don't take a lot of damage, so 48k damage doesn't really matter. Shielding as it is, is a complete joke for healers. In a raid like LD when the guy pops up behind somebody and 1shots, and puts out that AoE, after a while healer shields are just ineffective to help people (other than trolls) pick up.

and yea you kinda can... with heals and how much they can crit for, I don't see a reason why a shield can't actually protect somebody. Your argument isn't really acceptable, I'm sorry. Every other healing power shield in both role sucks. While every other power (except rage, which has a weak shield), has a better shield in both roles.
  10. Derio 15000 Post Club

According to the shield info.

The shield protects up to 125% of your resto, or up to 3 hits.

Healing is already too easy with all the resto we have now. There is no content in the game atm that requires our shields to get a revamp or a look at.

PVP is a different story because of all the changes devs made. But as far as PVE, there have been no problem with shields, and if you are having a problem with shields then your group is very ineffective.
  11. Sore Steadfast Player

Healer shields are meant to help protect against one-shots or give a short reprieve. They can help secure a revive but won't guarantee the pickup. Controller shields are for personal protection and usually are key to securing a pickup. If healer shields didn't pop like they do, I think they'd be a little OP and steal from what makes the controller role special.
    • Like x 1
  12. Tilz Loyal Player

at first 9,8k resto is more than enoug.. but thats something different.. ;)

Healershields are good as they are.. ;) well avoid 10k damage x 4 persons... its nice and can save you from 1shots.. I just remember Zamaron Catwoman fight (2 dps, 1 troll, 1heal)... or harley.. or Fatality.. all at Zama...
  13. True Zen New Player

shields are fine...
  14. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Can't pick anyone up? I've successfully done so plenty of times in tier 6 content and tier 5 content. In Lockdown especially. General Krazes circle does hit hard enough to knock out Controller shields in 2 hits. However it does not hit hard enough to take out a Healer shield (with, of course, the appropriate Restoration) and since it is not depleted after exactly 3 hits (3 hits yes, but they are counted every 1.5 seconds I believe). Because of this I, as the Healer, was the only one able to pickup anyone while those circles were active before Controllers overgeared the content.

Before the change so that shields have no effect on Carol Ferris' attack in Love & War I, as the Healer, was able to protect myself and 3 others from her attack without blocking using my shields with no problem. This did save several group members that could not block in time for whatever reason.

Assault & Battery? I can transport all 4 canisters using a Healer shield and not getting knocked out on the lanterns surprise attacks. Even Ice Tanks can have problems transporting those canisters.

Paradox Wave? I've successfully mitigated 3 gazers and the Tyrant when pulled away from the main group to stop them from stunning the rest of the group. This saved several groups when Paradox Wave was current content and having a very strong shield helped dramatically here.

I can keep going back through the tiers but keep in mind that before tier 3 content Healer shields were a flat amount and when tier 3 content was current a lot of players overgeared the content as new and better gear did not come with each and every 8-Man content (or any content for that matter). Healer shields are the strongest in the game for their appropriate application. Not using them or underestimating them is a mistake.
  15. spack2k Steadfast Player

here we go and again healers are not supposed to revive /pick ppl up ... troller have the shields made for that!
  16. vikteren Well-Known Player

yes and how often do healers revive people... quite a bit as healers tend to be the ones to notice these things. in a perfect world trolls and dps revive while tank and healers never do.
    • Like x 1
  17. Saevis New Player

a healer will revive a person if need be, you can't say what a healer is supposed to do, because in current day, healers barely heal... so they'll be picking somebody up if need be.
  18. HazeTA New Player

Healer shields are fine, they fit their purpose just like troll shields do, that's has been explained here and was already obvious. If they made them work like other shields be prepared for them to work off 50% resto because you certainly wont be getting the full 125% any more.
  19. DCVillain New Player

imma healer if someone goes down I'll throw HoT and pickup if someone doesn't like tough
    • Like x 1
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I dunno, I throw out Flux, it covers everyone in the group and for the next couple of seconds, it's absorbing whatever hits them - even in a large fight. I like the no-hit threshold of a Controller shield more *for a pickup* but for the purpose of just preventing damage to the entire group for X amount of time / damage dealt, it's awfully hard to complain about '9K Absorption Field for 4 members with a single, regular power use that has a 15 second cooldown'.

I don't see how that's weak.
    • Like x 1