Why Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Truvidien, Nov 26, 2014.

1. PhantomFox New Player

1. Big comic fan
    2. The costume customization is super addicting
    3. Playing an MMO on a console (PS) with a controller. The combat system isn't quite up to AAA action game standards, but to me it feels more like a beat-'em-up action game than a clickfest. It has a tangible, tactile feel that I never found in other MMO's.
    4. PVE. I prefer playing with others rather than against them. But being on a good team is always fun.
    • Like x 1
  2. Brother Allen Loyal Player

PVP.

GU41 is the only reason I came back and the only reason I have stayed.

The Devs mainly now need to fix the CC issues.
    • Like x 2
  3. ThunderlesStorm New Player

This. I was still playing because I love legends, but gu41 has opened up a whole new experience.
    • Like x 1
  4. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Honestly I love the game but the main reason is because of my friends in game.
    • Like x 1
  5. RoxyStormbringer Dedicated Player

I play, because of the friends that I've made while playing. My League is like a family to me and we all care about each other both in and out of the game. My wife also plays this game because she saw how much fun I was having playing with the people I met. I started when the game went F2P and I loved that I was able to design my toon the way I imagined her as well as dress her any way I want whenever I want.
  6. Cable Girl Active Player

Superspeed.
    • Like x 1
  7. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

You better keep practicing........
    • Like x 1
  8. Saami Loyal Player

Here is a man holding a gun next to me and whispering "play or die".
  9. ShadowCyborg92 Loyal Player

I play to escape reality.
  10. Itazuki New Player

To get a break from my job on the weekends... More specifically why this game? Because the combat and counter mechanics are the best type of combat in any current MMORPG. And I like the superhero/villain concept.. Best PvP out there right now as well, if only it was more active and the powers were balanced. *cough* rage / HL *cough*
  11. TrueArchon Dedicated Player

Because Marvel Universe isn't out for Playstation.
    :p
  12. Truvidien New Player

The PvP you guys speak of... Is it battlegrounds only type or is there any sort of arena style concept? I don't mean like playing as the Heroes/Villains themselves.. Talking about your actual character.
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Both? All Three?

In-game PVP has four main venues :

1.) Arena - Different match types, your character versus other character(s) in a variety of player versus player combat situations.

2.) Duels / Scrimmage - These are player versus player duels in the same faction, you can challenge other people to duels (single combat) or start a scrimmage against a group (your team versus their team).

3.) Legends - Legends is essentially Arena battling using pre-made Iconic Superheros (Batman, the Big W, Superman, etc.)

4.) Open World - Open World is literally headhunting in the major cities or 'Warfront' environments. Currently Metropolis, Gotham, Central City, Gotham Wastelands, Gotham Under Siege and both Metropolis Battlezones allow for open-world PVP. All fighting here is faction versus faction but there are no restrictions on equipment, tactics, team sizes or anything else.
  14. Buckley Loyal Player

As opposed to the 300 superman lookalikes
  15. Impulsively Committed Player

As someone who plays (well, played) both, they are both worth a shot in playing. Both are very fun games!

The thing is, I play DCUO much more often since, as others have said, the ability to create my own character is much more thrilling in my mind. I'm a massive comic book fan, and to be able to create a character to immerse itself into that world and interact with quote "the world's greatest legends" unquote is a great deal of fun. You also get to watch them grow and develop over time as you unlock new abilities, costume options, and confrontations to get tangled into.

Also, the endgame experience is a lot more fleshed out here. DCUO's bread and butter basically is the post-level cap content. And it's very group based with more specifically defined roles which makes no two playthroughs of the same raid or alert the same. You might even want to level up several characters to try out the different mechanics of the different superpower types.

But, like I said, Marvel Heroes is a good time as well and I had a blast playing through the main campaign of that game. Calling it a point-and-click game is underselling it a little. Its combat is a lot easier to pick up than I thought it would be. And it's a lot more engaging than it appears as well! But you'll definitely need to pour more time into DCUO based on how its progression works.
  16. Impulsively Committed Player

Well, to be fair, lookalikes aren't quite the same as the actual character itself running around. As someone who thoroughly played Marvel Heroes, it was a little offputting to play in a group with someone else who had an identical moveset, appearance, and stat construction as you. Sometimes more than one. The gameplay is great, but the fact that you are a literal cookie cutter is much different from a group of players who simply make their characters appear similarly. And due to the nature of interpretation, there are often subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences in those Superman "clones".
  17. butaalinmarian New Player

Do you live with Puff Daddy? :eek:

Back to the topic, I am a huge comics fan. To play around all those heroes/villains is just awesome and I can be one of them. The character customization is very nice, the combat, story and gameplay is also very good. I haven't played Marvel Universe yet, but I don't like playing existing characters. I like being my own and play alongside the "legends".
  18. The Batgirl New Player

The reason why I play is that I have always wanted to create my own superhero ever since I was little. Now, I feel like my dream came true. Also, I have always watched DC. I never got comics (I wish I did) but now, I'm getting the new 52. I have my own small goals I want to accomplish and their goals I made when I was little. Like, for instance, now I have an anime version of myself that an artist created for my YouTube channel's profile picture and banner. That was one of my childhood mini-dreams. I've always loved gaming and it's my thing, you know. I love the customization, the combat, the moves, friends, missions and the suits that you're able to unlock. Plus, I love Batgirl, so in this game, you can feel like the hero/villain that you want to be. It's hard work to get what you want in DCUO, but it is always worth it! :)
  19. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

I started playing because City of Heroes/Villains was shut down and this was the closest of the two lesser choices.
    Maybe in another 3-4 years, it might come close to the customization options you had in CoH...
    Especially when it comes to options in a viable loadout instead of cookie-cutter loads
    (look at WM where everyone with the same weapon does the exact same moves over and over
    (and at things like the new "improved" mental AM that's on the way: 1,2,3,4,5,6 "hit these exact powers in this exact order, please")
    Who am I kidding? There hasn't been a single change to something as simple as hairstyles in all this time...
    probably won't change... We'll never see that level of customization here... NEVER.
    But Champions Online just doesn't flow and looks too cartoony for me.

I stick around because of the friends I've made.

But if CoH came back...
    Especially if it was available on PS4...
  20. Collector New Player

Why I am still addicted after 4years: 30+ years of comic collecting, never missed an episode of JL back in the 90's, I am also a big fan of the Marvel Universe but as far as that game goes, to me it just feels like diablo in a supers skin, where as in DCUO you get to create your own Hero/Villain and fight along side, and against all the DC supers, and for those who really need/want to play as an Iconic there is Legends as well.

DCUO could have been the best action based MMO of all time, but sadly has been held back by console limitations, as well as the devs choice to constantly cycle excessive "nerfs/buffs" just to push respec tokens.......

But alas I am holding on to the hope that eventually the outdated console will be dropped, and possibly one day I just might run into one or more of the Devs in a dark alley! Hahaha....

PC Villains Forever!