Symbols of Power and Tier 6 Rewards

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hello again!

We have continued to read and discuss your feedback on Halls of Power Part I, on how players progress, and on how players want to progress. You want to play all sizes of content. You want to continue to enjoy DLCs even if they're not the most recent. We want the time you spend in every DLC to be meaningful and memorable.

Later than we would have liked, we realized making all of those things true with our new DLC structure is not a simple task. Releasing so much more content means the potential for earning marks escalates very quickly, directly impacting how quickly you can progress and how meaningful your progression is at the end of the day.

Our ideas and your suggestions have ranged from disastrous to highly complex, and neither is ideal. Part of the reason why - or, really, the primary reason why - is because we were significantly limited by our current tech. We believed what we wanted to do in an ideal world was simply not possible without significant engineering time, which we didn't have. In that, we were wrong.

As it turns out, the most crucial piece of tech to do what we wanted to do in the first place does already exist. Yep, our bad. Based on your feedback and to accomplish the goals above, here is our final plan:
    • Remove Marks of Power and revert DLC 11 mark rewards to Marks of Fury.
      • DLC 10 and DLC 11 will reward Marks of Fury in the standard amounts (and so will DLCs 12 and 13).
      • 10, 5, 2, 1 (Raid, Alert, Duo, Solo).
    • Add a new, unique currency reward to content in future DLCs, starting with Symbols of Power in DLC 11.
      • These will be rewarded in addition to Marks of Fury in all DLC11 content in the standard amounts.
      • 10, 5, 2, 1 (Raid, Alert, Duo, Solo).
      • Future DLCs will also have their own unique secondary currency to earn and spend in the same ways.
    • Change DLC11 gear costs to the standard amount of Marks of Fury + some smaller amount of Symbols of Power.
      • For example, a DLC11 piece of gear may cost 60 Marks of Fury + 30 Symbols of Power.
      • Future DLCs will use Marks of Fury + their own unique currency.
    Important: DLC11 content will reward BOTH Marks of Fury AND Symbols of Power.
    Important: Symbols of Power are NOT a Mark, and will not convert to Marks of Triumph.
    Important: In DLC 11, Symbols of Power will ONLY be used for purchasing gear. It will not be used for styles or consumables (which remain Marks of Fury).

Going forward, our plan is again to use the same Mark for all DLCs in a tier (Marks of Fury for our current tier), and require a secondary currency in lower quantities to unlock that DLC's gear (Symbols of Power in DLC11).

Why is this better?

With this tech and this plan, everyone can still utilize DLC10 (and all DLCs in a tier) to earn Marks of Fury for DLC11 gear and any gear in that tier. This keeps all DLCs relevant and useful for much longer. It allows players to play all kinds of content or the kinds of content they prefer for meaningful reward, regardless of what the focus is in the current DLC.

It also requires everyone to have played some of the content in a specific DLC to unlock its gear (in order to earn enough of the secondary currency). Essentially, half of your play for any piece of gear will have to be spent in the current DLC Pack. This keeps each DLC, including the most recent DLC, relevant and meaningful.

Thank you for your continued constructive feedback AND patience while we worked through these changes with you. The details and complexities of MMO reward systems are not easy to communicate, and we could have done much better in that regard, but they are fundamental to your enjoyment and our success at the end of the day, and worth taking the time to get right.
    • Like x 88
  2. DC-Doll New Player

Thank you :D
    • Like x 2
  3. Drakonicus New Player

Awesome. Two questions: Will MoF cap remain 100 ? Will SoP have a cap ?
    Ps: I love when you guys get new tech.
    • Like x 7
  4. Blue Spectrex New Player

This sounds like a really nice middle ground, I actually can get on board with this. Thanks for listening to our feedback.
    • Like x 4
  5. TrueOlympus New Player

You've done it! You guys are so smart sometimes it shocks me. Hella good change.
    • Like x 16
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Yes and yes.
    • Like x 6
  7. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

:)
    • Like x 2
  8. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Halfway through the OP I was like "What? No." but by the end I realised it was actually quite reasonable, so I'm ok with this.
    • Like x 4
  9. MentosTroll Loyal Player

I think I like this idea. Still thinking though :D
    • Like x 1
  10. Little Sister New Player

This is a neat compromise. Marks of Fury should then be called something else and add Symbols of Fury to the Amazon DLC gear. (Just my opinion)
    • Like x 5
  11. Skidmarc Committed Player

I am much happier with this approach. We will play the content regardless because it is fun and doing this will keep it relevant as the tier progresses.

If I can offer one more bit of feedback, I would like the symbols to also be possibly gained from the Iconic's as well though to keep them useful. This way, if time is limited or circumstances only allow for such, someone can still earn a small amount of the symbols of power alone.
    • Like x 7
  12. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

so what do lockboxes drop..MoF only?
    • Like x 7
  13. Ultimate Alpha Well-Known Player

Perfect....spent my saved MOF last night. Can I have them back now?
    • Like x 6
  14. Propel New Player

Such amazing timing once again, now that a chunk of the community bought a piece of Hive Defender they didn't really want.
    • Like x 1
  15. BIG KONCRETE New Player

I don't like having two different currancies for gear but I didn't like MoP either. I hope the number of SoP needed to purchase gear is relatively low or this system won't work.

Good job to the devs for coming up with a system both sides can live with.
    • Like x 1
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

This would be most consistent, but we're not sure it is worth going back and changing that at this point.
    • Like x 11
  17. Skidmarc Committed Player

Yes, please answer this one for us : ) If we could get symbols from lock boxes that would put this thing to bed and make Skid happy enough to put pants on!
    • Like x 1
  18. Skidmarc Committed Player

Agreed! The work isn't worth the return with the previous content. But going forward, it is a fair approach.
    • Like x 1
  19. Gant Well-Known Player

Thanks for taking that time and consideration. No doubt you guys always have a challenge before you with regards to MMO reward systems. Keeping the content relevant with natural progression of an MMO game is crucial.

Once the player content gets up-to-snuff, you guys will have found an ideal balance between playing a game and grinding a game and a reason for players to continue playing DCUO.
    • Like x 5
  20. MentosTroll Loyal Player

With the way it is setup, the only little tweak that'd be cool would be to increase the Fury cap to 120.
    Maybe that's too much :)
    Great Job though!
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.