Suggestion for the potential blue lantern power set

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by xGaretJaxx, Jun 11, 2014.

1. xGaretJaxx New Player

There has been a lot of speculation that at some point we'll see blue lanterns as part of the WOL trilogy.

Many players are concerned how this can be accomplished in dcuo without a major departure from canon, since blue lanterns
    cannot access their rings' full powers without being in the presence of a green lantern.

Not sure if this has ever been suggested, but what if we gave the blue lantern power set the ability to call a green lantern as a pet? I could get on board with a green lantern pet like Ch'p, Bzzzt, or a small Chaselon being called to allow my Blue Lantern to access the full capabilities of his ring.

The main issue I would see with this would be that the blues still won't work as villains, and no other lantern power set would make sense using a similar mechanic, but still a potential idea if the Devs are set on bringing the Blues to dcuo.
  2. Sabigya Steadfast Player

People forget that we are not blue lanterns, nor rage nor light. Braniac stole these powers from other heroes and villans and lex spread them. You are not a green lantern you just hold the power of the lantern. Any power set will makes sense in the DCUO canon.
    • Like x 10
  3. Ghostof91 New Player

Lol sad but true, this was the story behind our powers since day 1.
    • Like x 1
  4. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Yea, When ever someone argues that this powerset will not fit villans or heroes. I want them to create a new account and WATCH THE TRAILER.
    • Like x 3
  5. Ghostof91 New Player

Haha Ikr, If it wasn't for the exobyte story I highly doubt we would be give Lantern powers in the first place, so I am grateful in that sense.
    • Like x 1
  6. Tule New Player

Its been said by the devs that the lantern themed powers aren't exobytes. They are reservist rings. So you are not a full fledged lantern, but they are power rings. It isn't exobytes.
    • Like x 3
  7. xGaretJaxx New Player

While admittedly no alternative backstory was provided for rage, the Green lantern power set was debuted in dcuo not as an exobyte power stolen and distributed by lex luthor, but as an actual deputy of the green lantern corp (back when we actually received respec tokens with the dlc).

People were angry with red lantern heroes, but the most recent red lantern comics show the reds as anti-heroes doing good deeds using questionable methods.

I guess all I'm saying is this still might be a way to have blue lanterns without a complete departure from the comics.
  8. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

Y, probably Blue Lantern could be villainous (via exobytes or like that), but BOTH of you - green lantern pet & yourself on BAD side would be overshoot. Although generally probably lantern healer could contain a petting move, just like Metro City Hall (humanoid constructs)!..
    P.S.: we don't even know exactly color of coming Lantern Healer power. Maybe it'll lndigo if DC not approved villainous Blue.
  9. Octantis New Player

I just want to see how they justify using any offensive powers without a Green Ring nearby.

Their constructs are also only used to Heal, so from a source-material point of view any constructs while used in DPS mode will just seem weird. Additionally, the only constructs they make are either shields or people relating to the memories of those they're intending to mend.

Unless something has changed post-Relic in the continuity (I stopped reading after that storyline), I just don't see enough to make a power set out of other than shooting light blasts in DPS, and shields and pets in Healer.
  10. Tye Hailstorm Well-Known Player

Couldn't they Use the excuse that since there is still an entire Army of Green Lanterns that Residual energy from the large amounts of green lanterns on earth and Mogo nearby that they have full access to their Deputized rings capabilities. (since no person in this game is a true ring holder and only have hard construct copies of another lanterns rings.

Or they could also pull the whole (With there being so many Lost green lantern rings from the original GL content in the later leveling content) every Blue lantern has a Active but unusable green lantern ring right next to their blue lantern ring...Or they could just say we are getting our rings from Kyle since he can Fight with the blue ring(Using GL style Abilities).....Or.....Just say screw it and call the Powerset Hope but instead of a Blue lantern ring just say we have the power to control the "Hope" Power within us without the need for a conduit such as a blue hope ring...
    • Like x 1
  11. Octantis New Player

Hahaha I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they used that excuse :) Either way, if they want the power in the game, they'll shoehorn it in whether it makes sense (speaking with regard to the source material) or not.

Heck, who am I kidding? I know I'll be a Hope Lantern anyway and not give it another thought when I'm rolling DPS ...
  12. Derio 15000 Post Club

Well I find that ironic. When the powerchange tokens for HL first came out, as soon as you switched powers they told you that you were deputized as a lantern and even came up in your chat box.
  13. MinuteMaster Well-Known Player

That's true, but even so, with Rage powers, the devs and other players had to justify why heroes could wield the Red Lantern ring. When Rage first came out, people didn't understand why the heroes couldn't just get a Blue Lantern variant.

And by that logic, we should have just seen Green Lantern powers in the game, with no Sinestro Corps powers. We should all just be Green Lanterns, or just be deputized within the Sinestro Corps and not in the Green Lantern one.

The thing is, is that DCUO still needs to get approval from DC Comics in order to preserve their brand, so not everyone could be a member of the Blue Lantern Corps, even though the DCUO story line says it's possible. Sure, the story line says that the exobites gave you the power, but it still has to stay within the DC lore.
  14. Sabigya Steadfast Player

1. You are quoting a post written 1 month ago.
    2. IIRC Devs have leaked that blue lantern power set is coming.
  15. MinuteMaster Well-Known Player

Well, after a while, you get bored of the threads there are now and just start replying to older ones :D

And I don't recall the Devs leaking out the the Blue Lantern power set is coming.
  16. Crn Well-Known Player

Just play legends with Saint Walker. His powers where cool to me.
    When the power comes out and it will comes out, I'm giving that joint a shot.
  17. PKMN12 New Player

actually i am almost positive that the lanterns are actually specifically called reserve members of the corps. We got out powers from Brainiac, but each of the corps just went with it and have the lantern characters as backups/
  18. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

Actually the most toxic point in potention Blue Lantern (Hope) Powerset is - nobody knows what to do with Villains. If DCUO was Hero-only game, just like CO, then Hope Powers would indoubtedly great & cool. But since there's Villain side, devs have to do one of following:
    1. Farfetch a script to Blue Lanterns could be on villain side, which is very bad in terms of DC canon
    2. Release one more playable lantern corp for villains, that will work just like Blue for Hero side. This isn't cheap in terms of system resources (PS3), requires more work & they must be exactly same, which is bad, because theresn't lanterns alike Green & Yellow. That could be lndigo or Sapphires to complement Blue for heroes. But then not clear, because Sapphires mostly female & known doing good actions, not just evil, lndigo formed out villains, but their rings force them being good.
    3. Skip the Blues & make another healing lantern corp instead. Black & White confirmed by Spytle NEVER being playable, orange is Larfleeze only & his constructs. So that could be lndigo Tribe or Star Sapphires. Their healing abilities far less than Blue, but Sapphires can use hearts to revive allies (although that closer to raise, than healing), lndigo can heal minor injuries by feeling genuine compassion. And Sapphires almost completely made of women, so seeing 50% male sapphires would be quite odd. Thus lndigo Lanterns seem significally better. For mentors could be lndigo-1 for Heroes & Munk for Villains, because when ring control was switched off, they accept respective sides.
    So my opinion is - we'll see lndigo rings for both Hero & Villain side as a 3-rd (& probably last for a big while) Lantern Powerset (Compassion) for Healer role. Compassion Heroes will be formed of exobyters, who attracted a ring, but decided or forced do good actions because of it. Compasion Villains are compassion-lacking exobyters, who can overcome deputy ring control & still do villainous action, until they can resist control of this ring, but they now have ring's powers & thus can use them (e.g. heal other villains, etc). Technically lndigo Lanterns aren't an integral corp (like Green, Sinestro, Blue or Sapphires), but more like lone ring-owners, scattered across the galaxy, approx. like Red Lanterns, who is non-organized too, thus having these lanterns for both sides could work well.
  19. MinuteMaster Well-Known Player

To go towards your second point, technically the Indigo Tribe's power rings didn't make the bearers "good". I personally think that the Indigo Tribe would make a good villain counterpart to a Hope healing set. Like the Blues, they have a strong healing factor.

Technically, the Indigo Tribe is a "villainous" corps. I use that term somewhat loosely though. They aren't villains in the sense that they do villains deeds. The Indigo Tribe is composed of former villains and criminals. This is why I think that they would make a great addition to the Blue Lanterns. Yes, they are former villains, but villains nonetheless.

And with the whole brainwashing/mind-controlling lore, it just gives and extra reason for why it should become a villain counterpart to the Blue Lanterns.
    • Like x 1
  20. PKMN12 New Player

Actually yes, the Indigo rings DID/DOES brainwash (most of) their bearers into being "good" guys, it was a major plot point in the lantern corps stories around the time of Blackest night that Indigo-1 was a mass murdering maniac, but when the first indigo rng was forced on her, she kind of went flat-lined in terms of emotions because the ring forced on her things she never would feel or do otherwise. When the brainwashing effect came off of her, it is explicitly stated everyone was ready to have to fight her, until it was revealed that she was rehabilitated.
    • Like x 1