A plea to the devs: We don't want dramatic changes to the game mechanics

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Peacemakaz, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

There are a plethora of issues with DPS right now that WM only masks.

WM combos hit far too hard, the critical attack bonus on the end of the WM combos isnt big enough to warrant speccing into might, might its already out of whack with precision, awesome mechanics are non-existant when my arrow fling is hitting 8 targets for 3K each, etc

I think the easiest fix is just to adjust WM damage.
    • Like x 1
  2. Crimson Jonni New Player

I agree that wm is a blanket but touching the damage as of yet might not be the best thing to do until the powersets are reworked. Powers that need wm to help with being viable will need wm until something is done to fix them and that could take an extended period of time. I dont think that nerfing is the solution ( not saying thats what you mean) but rather adjustment. Wm can and should hit hard, but it should be worth it to use your power after the combo. As it is now, using a power for certain powersets actually lowers your dps which defeats the purpose.
  3. Crimson Jonni New Player

Oh yeah this is off topic but are the ps servers down? I didnt wanna make a new thread for a single question so im asking here.
  4. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Half of the powersets have been reworked or already have "awesome mechanics" built in though and only 1 has an "awesome mechanic" that can keep up with Weapon Mastery.

The thing that we should be aiming for with WM is the crit bonus at the end, but it doesnt really matter if we hit it or not because your weapon attacks are hitting for 7-10K on a regular basis. One spin chop to dual flurry hits twice as hard as my finisher and is the same speed. Even when you hit the crit window with a finisher, you're losing overall damage because it would have been faster to just do another WM combo.
    • Like x 1
  5. Crimson Jonni New Player

This is kinda what i was trying to say in my post. Im fine with wm hitting hard but the damage from the power crit has gotta be worth working your way up to it. Like if i did flip slash to pulse beam and initiated the power crit, id expect the damage from the power to be well above what i was doing during the combo. And the only power i can think of that can somewhat keep up is celestial, and it doesnt really flow well with wm. Now that theyre losing the 45% prec buff they had theyre gonna have to rely on wm even more which shouldnt be entirely the case.

When we first heard about WM i was under the impression that it was supposed to be complimentary to powers, not steal the whole show. In some cases it is complimentary, as a light player i have to rely on my wm combos to stay competitive because our "awesome" mechanic is the exact opposite of thus, so wm is a semi godsend, however part of me wishes i could actuay utilize this mechanic to a greater extent than what i can do now. And lastly what i meant by reworked is a way to balance wm with powers. I feel like even if they are both powerful on their own, using both together along with clipping should yield the greatest result as those three together would require more skill than spamming powers or spamming wm. Sorry if i confused anyone
    • Like x 2
  6. Redscreen5 New Player

Personally I've not seen too much dramatic changes. WM was more of an adjustment but it's still compliant with the normal tap tap tap hold clip philosophy.

What I do have a problem with is content, no matter the raid, alert or duo everything is run exactly the same. The IA solos were a nice addition but they are too long and drawn out.

When you consider that this game is approaching almost half a decade of being up the progress should have steadily streamed with the time passed. Instead we are faced with BETA like updates and implementations that should have been applied during the games infancy. I'm siting that we need to see more solidified progress rather than sidesteps and U turns.
  7. Terrible Theo Well-Known Player

Exactly, there is no real balance between powersets atm, because everyone has WM, which overpowers everything else. This game should be called Deathstroke Online.
  8. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

I though Weapon mastery was supposed to give players that didn't like the fast paced clipping play stye a alternative to make them equal to players like myself who enjoyed the fast paced action???? But what happened is you guys made the weapon damage so insanely high that no amount off clipping anything could ever compete with the weapon damage we have now. You took away the things everyone enjoyed and force everyone to play the same way. Before WM each power was played unique, now with every power you just hold range 3 times and cast a power. It doesn't matter what power you are now each is played exactly the same. You guys sucked the skill rite out of the game and not to mention added more imbalance then ever.

Before WM Rage, Celestial, Sorcery, Nature, Gadgets, Ice, and Light were all at just about the same lvl dps wise and those powers were very balanced among each other. That was 6 powers that were inline and Earth and electric were on the table for a revamp so they could have easily been brought up to par also then all you needed to do was a few easy tweaks to the other powers and everything would have been the best it would ever be with still maintaining the unique play styles of each power. but instead of doing the logical thing you guys went and thought up a whole new mechanic and now the game and powers are at a all time high as far as things being messed up.

Now you think prec buffs are to good??? No thats not the case at all if you notice only one power with a prec buff is in the top dps class right now and thats rage. The rest are just blah right now. Powers that are doing the best now are powers with a good mix and burst damage and dots not powers with a prec buff.

And light was perfectly fine before you guys touched it. it wasn't "OP" at all.. heck there was even powers better then it, But you guys had to listen to player who were to lazy to put the time in to learn one of the most complex and fun powers in the game. Jump canceling was not a problem maybe a tad outside of what you guys wanted but it was here for years and was far from game breaking. No one ever said "that guy only beat me cause hes jump canceling" lol well maybe on the forums but you really have to sit back and notice there is such a small amount of people who come to the forums and 98% of the time people who come here come to complain so the general feedback in the forums is going to be complaints and calls for nerfs, but if you play the game and talk to the people who play everyday its a totally different story. PLayers that enjoy the game don't come to the forums and say hey the game is great good job they just play the game. The feedback you guys get here is terrible. I can't even believe the things i read here. and sometimes i almost see why you guys do the things you do but you really have to stop taking forum advice its ruining the game. Now there are a few people on here that make great points but their voices are never heard and thats sad.

WM has slowed this game down and made is so boring and took out every singe bit of diversity and on top of that the weapon damage is WAY to much. Celestial was a great power and it benefited from a combo system which is now obsolete cause the damage that it dose is dwarfed by the crazy damage the weapons do and not to mention you guys nerfed it and slowed it down.

While i kinda like WM it is the problem with balance rite now..I have a few ideas to bring some powers inline with other but my voice or the voices of others like me will never be heard so theres no use in even putting my thoughts down.

All of this started because of players who didn't want to take the time to learn the little tricks and how to get the most out of their powers. So instead they just complained and now the game is easy mode and takes no skill. instead of learning things that make you a better player the devs just handed them WM and said here hold range 3 times and you'll be good.....I bet when the new raids come out they'll be to hard to then after the forum crowd complains they will get nerfed to. Its a never ending cycle on this game......
    • Like x 6
  9. SHUSHHH Well-Known Player

again and again his making some really good points i guess you devs are either got your eyes in the shadows or care about likes on this forum to change anything or admit you're wrong
    • Like x 2
  10. Ilunis Dedicated Player

I had a whole three paragraphs for a response and thought "**** it".
    Yes, there are a lot of new players that are entitled, ignorant, and beyond help.
    However, the pestilence doesn't just come from those people. Bad newbies aren't the only cancer this game has. Shame on me for being so entirely biased in my original comment. Your obvious bias is dually noted, as well.
  11. TheLoneLantern New Player

I can appreciate the point of the OP, but I don't really agree with the way it was presented.
    • Like x 2
  12. Fel1x90 New Player

I don't get why this forum matters so much to the devs when it's just a very very small portion of the whole playerbase.

The devs are listening to much to this little crowd imo. So many big and unlogical decisions have been made because of the whiny little community here.

I would suggest the devs to play the game with the ACTUAL community outside of this forum, it will be an eye opener.
    • Like x 1
  13. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

This is basically my thoughts on the matter. Well put.
    Those other people could you know... come onto the forums. It's much easier than going out into the game and trying to keep track of everyone else's thoughts.

It's not as if the entire forums (with the exception of testing feedback, which is being looked into) is available to only certain members of the community.

If they want their opinions to be heard, then they should pop on here for a change.

Don't forget the bit where they kept repeatedly saying "we aren't forcing you to use Weapon Mastery" in response to people saying that if they wished to remain competitive they would be forced into this particular play style.

While I don't agree with the bit of HL not being over powered, I do agree with you on how the developers handled the changes. For me, it was one of the worst handlings of any game. I loved the intentions and still do (to create a balanced, fun game) but the way that intention is being handled in has got to change.
    • Like x 3
  14. Fel1x90 New Player

Believe it or not, but do you know what the actual community is doing? Yes they are PLAYING and ENJOYING the game. All you can see here is just negative feedback because all people coming here for is to complain.

I remember when WM was introduced, so many people came here from nowhere and were against WM. But the devs pushed WM because the forum crowd of the same 50 players that im seeing here everyday liked it.

Other then the testing feedback and the bug section, everything else should be closed, cause it's doing more harm then good.
    • Like x 1
  15. light FX Steadfast Player

so true
    • Like x 1
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Ive just tried 2 help alot of new players in my 18 months playing the game and i get the same result every single time. Its not alot of fun when u go out of your way to help some1 and get insulted when u do, so im done w/it. No point really when imo most of dont want 2 learn, they would rather be carried. And in real life when u try and help some1 and they are rude back 2 u most people have a name for those type of people that i wont say here. If that makes me biased then oh well im biased :p
  17. the swoosh New Player

if that is the case i would realy like to know if the damage that weapon mastery is doing now is here to stay?
    ive been around since beta and i can't help but notice that it seems to bring along its own imbalance,
    any tier below tier6 was never designd knowing there would be weapon mastery, now im hitting so hard making me feel much too strong for that instance (even at gear apropiate levels).

also a small point to make about clipping VS wm, with clipping it used to be possible to be on par with weapon mastery damage, however!! it took its toll, we needed a verry solid power management to pull it off meaning all the other roles would have to be at their best so the damage can then also maxamize his damage, it used to realy push your team to its limit where weapon mastery now completly took that out, i cant help but feel like im left with a bitter tast since weapon mastery.
  18. Fel1x90 New Player

Alot of the mess we have could have been avoided if the devs would actually PLAY and TEST out their own product. Oh wait, right, they are doing none of those.

But letting their own costumers testing all out and simply do their job.

Bad business.

So the mess we have with dcuo doesn't really surprise me.
  19. Wreckshot Well-Known Player

None of this is true. I understand why people are irate, they want to play a superhero game as someone with powers, not someone with a weapon. That's fine. However, assuming the devs don't play DCUO is factually wrong. They do play and test it. It's just sometimes they do things they think is for the best and it doesn't appeal to everyone.

I like WM, but I do miss being a superhero with superpowers.

If there's a problem here, it's that the devs need to be more open, and in their defence, there's the work in progress board, which is a step in the right direction.

You also have to keep in mind, if a dev stepped in and said "Yeah, powers are messed, but we're on it," people would still complain. No matter what the devs do, the Internet will never be happy. That's not specific to this forum, it's an internet-wide problem; people are never happy.

Personally, it'd be nice to have more dev interaction on stuff like this, but I understand their reluctance to engage us until they're got something solid to say.
    • Like x 1
  20. Peacemakaz Committed Player

Well, I normally include a TL: DR version in my posts, because they are rather long, and people often miss my main point, but for some strange reason...this time I didn't...

So...TL: DR, yes change is interesting/intruiging, and often times enjoyable, but let change be gradual. A lot at once is not a problem, but do not let it be one sided. Revamp all the powers, do what ever you need to do, but please build upon the game instead of changing the very foundations, as a number of us had come to enjoy what we played.

The basic example that everyone still remembers; HL construct combos pre gu36. It would be highly unlikely that without weapon mastery, HL would have been able to surpass play styles that involved weapon mastery. So why not allow it to be in the game?