When i tank i dont hold aggro.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by ApexNephilim, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ApexNephilim New Player

im an ice tank and i cant hold aggro for crap. Im t5 and my load out is reflection,winter ward,inescapable storm,shatter restraints, Wintery tempest to hold aggro which im not doing and my 35% supercharge. Also does does dominance have any thing to do with aggro. Some say no some say yes i need an answer for dominance.
  2. blklightning New Player

What do you mean when you say "hold aggro"? Are enemies attacking you when you taunt them? Are they turning away easily? Or, are you unable to pull/relocate them?

As a tank, you are guaranteed aggro except for when scripted random attacks happen. This guarantee of aggro lasts 12 seconds. Future Lex, at the end of FR is a perfect example of this. You taunt him and he will focus only on you for the duration of the 12seconds. If you're not keeping his aggro, then you're not in tank stand. LOL

Having said that... dominance does not affect aggro. It only affects crowd control.

If you're having issues pulling adds and reorganizing mobs, then your dominance is lower than the recommended for the content. I found that when t5 first hit (no Sons of Trigon), that my new green gear was dropping my dominance below what was required to run FR/BIA. I had to constantly adjust my SP to keep above the minimum. This may be your issue?
    • Like x 2
  3. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

i actually find this thread post quite amusing considering that you're an ice tank, the tank which never gets discriminated against by the mass community of dcuo. yet, i will disagree with this guy before me claiming that dominance plays no part in your ability into holding aggro. dominance ties with both aggro and crowd control, which has been said and proven numerous times. so, enough with that argument already. but, i am curious what your stats are. my dominance is currently at 1518, so i don't suffer that problem really. but, as far as dominance goes within raids, there's a notice for each raid instance in the descriptions of what both the tank/troller dominance should be in order to be truly effective in those raids. so, make sure when you do a raid you meet that minimum. your loadout seems fine, maybe it's your rotation. it's possible you're doing something to interrupt the aggro. that's like myself as an earth tank using epicenter for a mass pull that gets aggro, then popping unstoppable to push all of the adds off which interrupts that moment of holding aggro the entire 10-12 sec. maybe you're using the wrong home turf mod for pve, like explosive block over deadly block? explosive block will interrupt your aggro every time. maybe youre not speccing your sp correctly even? but, give us some specifics of what youre really doing as you attempt tanking.
  4. Raptor T. Committed Player

Like Blk said.. Dominance does not affect aggro. Dominance strengthens your shields.. Along with restoration. Having at least the minimum dominance required for a certain instance will allow you to crowd control. That is.. Knocking them down, stunning them, rooting them, and even pulling the adds toward you (which is different from aggro). Aggro and pulling adds are completely two different aspects of tanking. Anyone can gain aggro.. Especially if you use certain powers that involves taunting them. I can use Inescapable Storm to taunt Cyber Lex Luthor.. But does it pull him towards me?? No. However.. It's that taunt that causes an enemy to target you rather than targeting others. I can even have 100 dominance and still gain aggro. It's because of the taunt effects. Not the dominance.. Remember that's just crowd control.

I can taunt an enemy and gain aggro. Another player can attack that same enemy however he/she wants.. But that enemy will continue to attack me because of the 12 seconds rule.

This video should help.

• Like x 3
  5. 13igtyme Devoted Player

Devs this is a clear example of why you need more information for all stats and powers.
    • Like x 4
  6. Dogico Loyal Player

You're an experienced guy, you should know that dominance has nothing to do with aggro whatsoever. To prove, throw on all dps gear, spec dps, go tank role in a low level duo/alert/raid. You will have aggro the entire time. You won't be able to cc in the alert or raid but you will have aggro. The suggested dominance for alerts/raids is the minimum required for tanks/trolls to cc enemies, nothing more. And a player cannot interrupt his own aggro by using a power. Unstoppable, for instance knocks enemies back but it doesn't cause one to lose aggro.

OP what scenario are you having trouble losing aggro? My guesses are you A) are experiencing a scripted aggro dump B) not using your powers within range to grab aggro C) waiting too long to reapply a taunt D) are actually a ghost here to teach me the errors of my penny-pinching ways E) see A-D.
    • Like x 3
  7. Raptor T. Committed Player

LOL aggro scripted aggro is definitely a way to loose aggro. Great example.. Take Captain N'ee. Every time you taunt him, he will jump at you for like a second.. Then target someone else...
  8. Dogico Loyal Player

I haven't run BIA in forever but damn I hated that fight. First time I fought him thought the game was bugged only to find out nope, working as intended.
  9. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

lol, your method of proving an opposing theory incorrect is by throwing on all dps gear and going with a dps spec with my sp along with staying in tank role to tank a LOW level instance??? LOL, that's hilarious. of course with my 152 sp with a dps spec in "tank role" i'm still going to be able to hold aggro in a LOW level instance. think buddy, that would prove nothing of what you're trying to argue against me. it's a biased debate, so i'll stick with my side of the argument for now until jens and mepps tells me otherwise. and you being a supposed earth guy yourself you really believe that unstoppable doesnt interrupt aggro? well, why is it that everytime i need to get myself out of a jam because a solo healer gets knocked out in say paradox wave, i pop unstoppable because i need to kite to survive, and the adds are no longer following me? that is an interruption of aggro if a power like unstoppable causes the adds to go elsewhere and draw their attention on other targets. so, what are you talking about? lol, give me a break. oh yeah, and dont forget about how the minimum dominance is required to assist with the multiplication of defense or health that a tank is going to need in order to sustain damage from incoming adds or bosses. crowd control is one thing, but there are other facets that dominance contributes to that impact a tanks overall effectiveness, which is what you seem to be forgetting here. but, that's okay by me if you feel like youre such an expert, lol.
  10. Korlick Loyal Player

Dominance does not affect aggro.
    Dominance is for your buff´s as a tank ,for crowd control and shields/self healing/etc...

Powers that breaks aggro? Really? Why would there be powers (in tank stance) that makes you loose the aggro? its ridiculous. It doesnt even make sense.

If you are losing the aggro (not scripted random attacks) its because you are doing something wrong. Plain and simple.
    Not refreshing it right or using a power that doesnt "taunt enough". Like burnout on fire, for example. Burnout will buff you, will knock your enemie away, but it wont make you gain full aggro.
  11. 13igtyme Devoted Player

......:eek:

Are you really going to argue the merits of dominance affecting agro, explosive block "interrupting" agro, unstoppable removing agro, as well as the dominance requirement being for buff purposes? I... I just don't know what to do any more.
    • Like x 2
  12. blklightning New Player

we've seen enough references to support our knowledge that Dom does not affect aggro. You'll need to cite you sources to show us differently.

gotta tell ya, when I've tanked future lex in FR that I've used unstoppable quite frequently. Not once did he turn away and go for someone else until I used another taunt.
  13. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

um, i think i already said in my last two posts that dominance buffs defense/health in tank role and also impacts crowd control. yeah, actually i did, so it was pointless on your part to try and reiterate that because i clearly get that portion of it. to answer your question of why would there be tank powers that break aggro? how about in order to re-position yourself? because in some situations that will have to happen. i've been a fire tank throughout the majority of my tenure and i understand what burnout does. the knock back of enemies is a temporary break of aggro. why and how? because the adds are not on you within that moment, same logic behind unstoppable. what i find funny about your argument is you concluded by saying burnout will knock your enemy away, but it wont make you gain "full aggro". if i don't gain "full aggro" after popping a power like burnout when i had "full aggro" prior to it, is that not an interruption of aggro? that conclusion of yours in itself contradicts your argument, which "doesnt even make sense".
  14. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

sources by whom? players who feel they're experts or the brains behind the product? if it's the players who gave you those sources in reference to what they believe, then there's no way i'll even begin to acknowledge that. yet, i find it strange when i've used unstoppable quite frequently myself and it's done exactly what i claim it does. maybe my style of tanking is slightly different than yours. who knows?
  15. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

yes, i am, sadly to say right? i learned the hard way from equipping explosive block in raids like nexus and wave; that single mod ruined a lot of raid runs at first. my personal experience validates what i said. as far as what you can do, just continue playing the game the way you see fit i guess. great sarcasm btw.
  16. EVLICERATOR New Player

From Tunso (SOE Developer):
    "Dominance does two things. It affects how much damage is required to break a control effect(<---outdated) and it also determines whether you can control a target at all in higher tiered areas. It doesn't have any affect on threat though.
    The reason Dominance is useful for tanks is because enemies who are knocked down, stunned or being juggled can't attack back. Tanks with high enough Dominance can take a lot less damage versus weaker "trash" (non-boss) type enemies by keeping them on their backs or otherwise helpless."
    • Like x 2
  17. Breaker New Player

I have been told in game that Winter Ward is currently bugged and is dropping aggro. That could be your problem.
    • Like x 1
  18. 13igtyme Devoted Player

It wasn't sarcasm. To me it's saddening that a T5 tank doesn't know the basics. Allow me to run through them.

Explosive block will never drop agro. Will in knock some adds and bosses away? Yes but they will always jump right back to you. Provided you still have a 12 tank taunt on.

Dominance was confirmed by Tunso to have no effect on agro.

Break out moves like unstoppable, crystal, burnout, burning determination, winter ward, and shattered restraints will not cause you to drop agro. Some of them, like burnout and unstoppable will push adds back, but those adds are still under your taunt, which you just reapplied from using the power. Go into nexus first boss and only have burnout and burning determination on your load out. I'll bet you 100mil ingame cash you will never lose agro if you alternate them every 10 seconds.

And the dominance requirement is only to have a CC effect on the adds. It in no way shape or form means "You must have this much dominance to buff yourself enough to survive."

The fact that people like you are going around spreading this bad information is one reason why the community has such a hard time.
    • Like x 6
  19. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

where's the link? how do i know you just didn't put his name and job title there?
  20. Korlick Loyal Player

Yes but you also make it clear that you dont know anything about tanking.

And for the rest...i dont know if serious or trolling.

You said you been a fire tank for a long time , yet , you are showing that during that time you learn nothing about Fire (or tanking , as a matter of fact).
    I didnt contradict at any point in my post. If you cant comprehend something so simple like that, well...then like i said, you learn nothing.
    There are no powers that breaks you aggro. If you lose it its because you are doing it wrong.
    Position yourself? yes. But you can do that without loosing aggro. Thats why you have pulls, juggles and knockback powers.
    During the effects of Burnout you dont loose aggro (or break it). You are pushing the adds away. PUSHING AWAY = CROW CONTROL. Thats why they are not attacking you. They are being crowd controled.
    What i was saying about not gaining "full aggro" its because its a power that doesnt do damage , ergo, you are not attacking/taunting the enemies so you are not going to have aggro (but apparently it works anyways, according to 13igtyme, although im not so sure) , unless you use another power before , like Backdraft>clip with Burnout.
    • Like x 1