Skill points: Crit vs Prec

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TransSombra, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TransSombra New Player

Ok, possible stupid question here, but my friend makes a good argument.

I have 124 skill points, I've opened all my trees and got all my might. Next up is crit or prec.

I always felt crit was better, as not only is crit dmg a lot higher than regular, but it also effects my power attacks.

His argument, and it makes sense, is to go with precision because "crit just gives you the chance to hit harder with a nerf bat, while precision gives you a stronger bat to hit with"

And I get it, prec will make my weapon attack stronger ALWAYS, while crits will make my attacks MUCH stronger SOMETIMES.

My only issue with this is the stupid 2nd tier inmates that give you crappy stats for harder to get skill points. I have approximately 960 prec now, so an extra 3 is nothing to me. And with all the work I need to do now to get a single skill point it seems like such a waste to put it into a measly 3 prec.

6 skill points will equal 18 prec or 6% crit chance.

To me the crit seems like a much better idea, fill up on chance, then dmg, then start working on the crappy 3 precs.

Or is my friend right, is it better to just make my weapon as strong as possible as it will always do that damage, vs crits which will only do that damage sometimes?
  2. Radium Devoted Player

So are you saying you skipped Crit Chance AND Crit Mag in favour of the Might/Precision bubbles?
  3. 13igtyme Devoted Player

I've always looked at it like this. I can get gear or mods to increase my might or precision. But I can only increase crits by skill points.
    • Like x 3
  4. MuTeDx Committed Player

go for CRITS MAG 1st (hit as hard as you can), CRITS CHANCE 2nd (as often as you can), then get your might and prec (raise the bar)

hit as hard as you can as often as you can and raise the bar my friend.
  5. TransSombra New Player

No, I've been using crits. But my friends nerf analogy got me thinking.

6 sp = 18 prec = 1.8 dps = 108 damage per minute

That is 108 extra damage I would always do ever minute I use my weapon. While with crits I only have the chance to do more.

But that chance also includes my powers, which are already hitting for 700+ on bursts, crits on 2000+ sometimes. While prec doesn't touch that.

So obviously crit is the way to go, I am just checking to see if his argument is valid. I am too lazy to respec and do tests myself
  6. TransSombra New Player

Wouldn't you want to go chance first? I look at it like this.

I can hit 1000 crit dmg, but only have 1% chance of hitting a crit (meaning 1 out of every 100 hits will be a crit for 1000)

Or I can hit a 500 crit, and have a 6% chance (6 out of every 100 hits will be crit for 500 dmg, totaling 3000 dmg all together)

So yeah, you can increase your damage all you want but if you have practically no chance to hit it, what's the point?
    • Like x 3
  7. Aiden Warren New Player

1 Might = 0.45%
    10 Precision = 1 Damage
    Critical Chance 1%
    Critical Attack Damage 4%

Weapon: 131DPS With 500 Precision = 181DPS Plus 4% Critical = 188.24
    Might: Average 1500+ = 675 + 4% Critical = 702

So Without Critical, you wont get much extra damage.
    So with Critical, you get more damage than adding more precision without Critical
    • Like x 1
  8. Duragon Committed Player

This.
    ... and it's been like this in every MMO game, in every different role, class, or job.
    What good is 2500+ might if you you only crit once every thousand hits or so?

This debate even went to troller threads. 1400 vit but no gear affinity or crit chance skill points and someone with 1300 vit that has the affinities and crit chance points WILL ALWAYS outpower the other.

I have a better question. I have 115 skill points and I get all the crit-chance, all the crit-attack, all the might and the three precisions in the shield tree. If you have 124 skill points and you're speccing into crit-chance now, what in the world do you spec into BEFORE you get to crit-chance???
  9. AvatarWeapon New Player

I would recommend getting all your crit-chance and crit-mag before anything, with your 124sp you will still be able to get all your might then go for prec. you will see a big difference in your damage output if not you'll just have a flat damage and be out dps every time. But its just my opinion
  10. MARK2099 New Player

Critical innates should be your priority, they not only affect weapons also powers, the extra prec or might do not means anything if the damage not critical often.
    • Like x 1
  11. DARKKNIGHT New Player

crits
  12. thenewkidd New Player

Crit Chance is still important... especially Crit magnitude.

You could hit (for easy math) 100 dps 100% of the time with most of that Precision SP... and I will kill you in damage out because every 3 or 4 hits *I* get (Because of all the crit chance and magnitude I have) will pass up your 100 DPS 100% of the time.

It's simply because I'm hitting harder part of the time and MORE than doubling your Crits (as that's what Crit Magnitude does for you.)

But if you don't believe us... simply test it out... and see what you get...
    Everything is different when you put it into practice vs seeing it on paper.
  13. Radium Devoted Player

Actually kidds right, easy math is probably the best way to explain this.

I hit something for 1000 10x. With no Crits, maybe 1 of those hits will crit for 1250. Giving a total of 10250 damage.

With full crits for the same amount, 2-3 will Crit for 2000. Gives a total of 12000-13000 damage.

Its a no-brainer.
    • Like x 1
  14. Liam Solo New Player

Stats don't scale very well at higher levels. But Crit chance and Magnitude do. Go Crits when ever possible first.
    Crit chance and Magnitude work withall types of damage, Might and Precision.
    • Like x 2
  15. dbtenken New Player

Personally I wouldn't even touch the second tier innates until you get all of the first ones meaning Might, Precision, and Crit Chance/Magnitude. With the amount of SP that you have you should be able to get all of those.

Then dump your leftover into either might or precision on the second tier depending on what your power is.
    • Like x 1
  16. TransSombra New Player

i had it all in might, crit chance, and crit dmg, with left overs in prec. but one guy in my league was always out damaging me and he said he has all his in might and prec, then starts on the crits. between that and his "nerf bat vs metal bat" analogy made me switch to might and dps.

i was doing more damage, but this may just have been due to being in groups with weaker DPS's and/or getting better gear.

i switched back to might and crits this morning, still was able to fill a bunch of prec as well. im down about 80 prec from what i had before, but i think the crits will more than make up for it and i can prove him wrong.
  17. Kroye Loyal Player

Not to nit-pick, but you can get crit chances/magnitude through the socket affinities and the iconic power innates.
  18. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

your a terrible dps if your skipping crit chance and magnitude for marginal gains to your weapon attacks and powers
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

This came up in another thread a while back. I actually tested my main as if he were a fresh level 30 with ~30 SP, faction gear, and a PvP weapon and jewelry. I ran the Funhouse instance speced into crit chance vs crit damage vs might. Was looking at whether either of the specs significantly improved my completion time. Reason being, damage would be expected to be the same, as the same adds were killed each run, but they would go down faster, if the damage output was better. I didn't find a significant difference. This is with a fresh level 30, though. As you increase your stats through gear, the bonuses to those stats as a relative percentage decrease significantly. At that point, the SP are better spent on the crits. So, you could argue that you should max crits all the way, regardless.

@the OP, if you have 124 SP, you should have all the damage crits and first tier might and precision speced by default. Whether you want to go into the second tier might or precision is the decision you need to make. The value per SP of the second tier innates is rather poor in comparison to the first tier.
    • Like x 1
  20. Zezimar Committed Player

You said everything.