A Mental BreakDown V2

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Femto, Feb 15, 2013.

1. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

You can't clip the staff ranged blockbreaker or the 1h one, not sure which you're talking about, iirc it's focused spin for staff and focused blast for 1h but I may be wrong, would check ingame but can't atm hehe. EIther way though neither are clippable.

What I do suggest trying is handblasters though. if you do a quick charged blast (just hold ranged) you can do it really quick (like doing the staff one quickly for a BB in pvp), thing is HBs has clips off of that. So you do that then tap ranged and clip a power. That way you do a like .25-.5s charged blast for 100-200 damage, followed by a clipped 400-600 damage solar flare with a power overlapping it. I view it as the spin chop of ranged.
  2. Sylar-Man New Player

After being addicted to the game for too long I was finally able to break my addiction and take a nice hiatus from it but now I think I'm coming back. Has anything drastic changed in the world if Mental? I'm going back to read what I can but if anyone has a quick summary that would help to.
  3. Femto Well-Known Player

not much except the devs keep tinkering with the illusions tree the past few updates
    pros: menace is a clippable power
    cons: Horrific visage no longer polymorphs player opponents
    ........ Phantom Flames is a single target debuff now
  4. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

/shrug PF got nerfed to be only a single target debuff (but all controller debuffs for all powersets are only debuffing one target now).

With the upcoming t5 being so brutal range damage is going toi be where it's at for a while, and mental will rock it at range IMO.

Edit: oh yeah forgot about the huge nerf to horrific visions for pvp, in pve it's still the same though, but no longer ghosts people in pvp. and yeah menace became clippable a while ago
  5. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Hello Sylar-Man. It is good to see you around again. Here are a couple of things that I remember:
    -Menace was turned into a "beneficial" power can be used to clip other powers. Source: http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo...server-downtime-02-20-13-game-update-23.1430/
    -Mental debuffs will apparently only work on a single enemy after DLC 7. Source: http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo...-they-are-nerfing-mental-trolls-again.152822/
    -Horrific Visage works differently in PvP now. It doesn't ghost your enemy anymore.
  6. Sylar-Man New Player

I remember the menace and HV parts but the debuff is new to me. So phantom flames works like thought bubble and cryo where it hits multiple targets but only the initial target gets the debuff?

Also are there any new discoveries in the powers that have effected loadouts and rotations or anything like that?
  7. Sylar-Man New Player

As far as rotations and loadouts is the TK tree still not on par with the illusions tree?
  8. Femto Well-Known Player

Idk about anyone else but in regards to the escalating might neck I always try to cast menace 3rd or 4th in my rotation to increase its maximum might
    Mass Terror > clip dazing device > weapon combo > Pyro > clip Menace > Mass Terror > clip dazing device > Psychic Shock or tendrils
    but thats just me for pvp and the current content , who knows it's prolly change with the new dlc , hell might start using pf and ps combo or mass lev and tk bolt combo when it comes out
  9. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

No real changes to melee loadouts but t5 is BRUTAL and going to be a lot of ranged fighting, which makes TKbolt a very solid option when used with the home turf 60% mod.

So basically one power that I use to call useless now I consider a must have hehe =)

Pyro is still a great single target. TB is still better on a single target than PS/PF even with PI IIRC. Other than those 3 personally I stick to terror tree (and yeah I don't call it illusion tree)

Note though, dazing devices won't work at range so it's not the solution to the PI issue that it is in melee range.
  10. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I'm Mental and use a rifle. Right now i'm playing with using the tap triangle then clip with a power. Going thru my rotation until i'm outta power then weapons hot. It works pretty well but eats power. I'm down to work on a loadout tho.
  11. 13igtyme Devoted Player

TB>Mass lev>MT>Menace>pryo, keep 60% mod up at all times with HT mod, use tk push or res for adds and clipping combos. Dazed nets more damage for both single and groups. Keep track of the 60% buff with the menace cooldown timer. Dazed also makes pryo, and push/res hit harder. TB with 60% buff crits in the 300 per tick. Pryo hits for well over 1k and crits in the upper 200 low 300 range. Use weapon combos in between. I use the DW hold triangle,
  12. Clutch_GT New Player

Alright cool so the loadout would be a dot stacker for T5 Pyro, Thought Bubble, Menace, Mass Terror, Psychic Shock, Bonus slot

So rotation would be Grenade -> Pyro -> Menace -> Volley -> Volley -> Mass Terror -> Jump -> Grenade -> Psy Shock -> Backflip -> Jump -> Grenade -> Thought Bubble -> Grenade -> Psy Shock -> Volley -> Mass Terror -> _____________

IIRC there's a certain point in Volley (hold melee) that is clippable the same with back flip but with backflip once you see the numbers roll off jump while your still in animation and use Grenade -> Thought Bubble once you land you can lob another Grenade off and continue with the rotation.

At the end i left it blank simply because once you go through the rotation at that point I'm uncertain if Pyro needs to be reapplied but that all depends on how fast the rotation can be done and would determine what goes in the blank. Try it out and let me know if it is worth improving on as a rotation. If anyone has anything to add or suggest I'm all ears :cool:
  13. Clutch_GT New Player

Focused spin is what i was referring to i do know the 1 hand BB isn't clippable but somehow focus spin charged at 80% is still dealing full damage for me maybe it's lag from PS3? shrug idk but it works atm.

Really? I'll definitely try that out I know this is off topic but i was messing around with Dr.Fate... uppercut is boss!
  14. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

yeah you can hit it RIGHT at the end, but I never considered that clipping just lag /shrug, Why i kinda don't like staff range though is if you do it just a little too soon, that 2k hit turns into 100. I get frustrated when I hold something for 1 3/4s instead of 2s and get 1900less damage.

The melee of HB is decent, you won't match a melee weapon due to the melee buff, but uppercut is cool, and the fist slam... best inturrupt ever? HB became a favorite after fighting of hordes in pvp doing AE counters to chain immunities hehe. Alternate fist slam, power discharge, and toss a few uppercuts and solar flares in there =).
  15. Clutch_GT New Player

Jeebie corrected me it's focused spin for staff, but yes use focused spin only on bosses or higher threat adds you otherwise wouldn't want to melee on trash you clip the second hold from downward smash(3x tap 2x hold).

Phase Dodge is pretty good for slower powersets with lengthy animations it's basically an animation canceler and if you stay in Phase Dodge it gives you 5000 defense. So for example I can use MT -> Menace -> Phase dodge and you wouldn't see any animation but all damage registers or use Pyro -> Menace -> Phase Dodge you wouldn't see the beam but you'll see the target is set on fire. The reason I use it is to cut down animation time which in turn lets me do more weapon combos.
  16. Rebelyon New Player

Hmmm so tempting to try out SS for the combat perks...

Well, sad thing is I'm gonna try out Quantum before I start to bunny hop around the powers again :p

BTW to everyone - Is it me or the Space Tree stole from the TK Tree? :confused:
  17. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Yes Quantum has the TK tree we all wanted :p

Also, just a note, phase dodge is quite an increase in power cost to use purely for clipping. So while it's nice and I do like it, even not used for clipping but more as a defensive tool. Just be aware of that before you go off phase dodge clipping like crazy hehe. Is doubling the power cost worth a shorter animation? sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    • Like x 1
  18. Twisted Titan Committed Player

Just a quick comment, this thread is great. I've gotten a lot of great info from you all and it has helped me be a much better mental player. I'm one of the many that is switching my main to Quantum as it fits my character a little more, but I will definitely be making an alt for mental.

In summary thanks for being a positive and helpful for all mental players out there.
  19. VO1D Sentry New Player

MAANN I want grandeur and tk shield on the same tree like quantum
  20. Liam Solo New Player

·Mental
    oBastion now grants power over time to each group member that receives a shield. It no longer gives power back when the shield is hit by enemies.

Bastion was updated, has Anyone tested the Power over Time given to the group yet?