A Mental BreakDown V2

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Femto, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Rosicrucianist New Player

Hi Everyone!

This thread has been quite useful to me returning after years away. Originally, I was almost fully mental, know I've managed to mix in a lot of illusion and I am doing great in PVE, but PVP is still a pretty big problem for me thus far, and I was hoping for some feedback and suggestions. I just hit 30, and am getting rolled in 1v1 and 2v2 matches, so I know there is is a problem with my playstyle.

Currently, my lodout is:
    Telekinesis
    Thought Bubble
    Pyrokinesis
    Terrorize
    Mass Terror
    Menace

Im a speedster that uses staff.

Here are my questions
    1) Any suggestions or tweaks to my Powers/Rotation?
    2) For pvp matches with lower numbers of opponents, should I go Controller or DPS?

Thanks so much!
  2. shiny mackerel Committed Player

Ahh right, there had to be more projectile style aoe powers out there. Wow, TK bolt doesn't split?! That's crazy. Why don't more people use TK bolt then..

Yeah I can't say for sure, but it does seem to get multiple hits quite often in pvp. Latency? Or maybe players are just fatter. Interesting tip about jumping though. I'll try that out
  3. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Aye my thoughts were either the Model for PCs are bigger or that PCs are a whole different type of interaction that is more friendly to beign hit by objects (they would care more about us getting hit than things hitting other computer things). Either way just guesses.
  4. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Well, if you were talking about how Tendrils work, then yeah. That may be the only one that works like it: a slow moving projectile. The rest I posted are instant.

Also, the reason why people don't use TK Bolt is for a couple of reasons:
    • 3-second cast time
    • Difficulty of spreading Daze or Helpless interactions
    • Hits only up to 4 opponents
    • AoE type is a straight line and not a wide cone
    • Mobile opponents may easily get out of the way
    Also, by the time you're finished casting, enemies may have mostly be reduced to very low health or are already dead.
  5. La Chupacabra New Player

That's more than a couple Drift :p

Also, is it OK if I threaten peoples fuzzy numbers by saying "don't make me get Drift in here!" ?
  6. Duragon Committed Player

This since everyone has full T4 with all T4 mods and is now a master at clipping. It was the same when we all got T3 in FOS... things started dying faster. But once T5 raids come out, it can be viable once again. Where "> = next" and "/ = clip", I used to go:

MassTerror > ThoughtBubble > Pyro > ArrowFlurrry / Mass Lev > MassTerror > ArrowFlurry / TeleBolt > ArrowFlurry

What you want to do is set up MassTerror, ThoughtBubble and Pyro all together for a big d.o.t. then clip ArrowFlurry with Mass Lev so you are doing 3 d.o.t.'s and the flurry while casting MassLev so you're still being efficient damage wise and not wasting time just casting. Right after MassLev, hit another MassTerror cause that d.o.t. will be gone and ArrowFlurry clipped into TeleBolt so again, you at least have the d.o.t.'s and the flurry while casting TeleBolt. Extremely FUN loadout, last power being open for a SC, but again... things die too fast now. But you should try doing this with a lower geared group that has experience.. like alts or something. A lot of fun.
  7. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Lol. Maybe? Depends on what kind of numbers. Sometimes, people just don't make any sense no matter how I look at it.
  8. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I really dont play with DPS in pvp all that often, but if I were to Id run with: Menace - Thought Bubble - Pyrokinesis - Mass Terror - Grandeur - Terrorize

As far as rotations goes, for PVP its really all situational...I HIGHLY suggest getting the Ampule of Terror plan and making yourself a bunch of those (I go through about 20-30 every match) and use those for clipping purposes...Try starting every combo off with Pyro > Mass Terror > Clipped w/ Menace > Thought Bubble (while blocking and block breaking where appropriate) and finishing off people with terrorize (the empowered channeling mod is also HIGHLY recommended)
  9. Rebelyon New Player

After watching the new Quantum power having Lift, now I know why the TK tree is all wonky... Obviously someone stole our levitate moves for the new powerset :p
    • Like x 2
  10. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

Yeah, yeah, actually seems to psyonics become NOT irreplaceable anymore :(. Especially with new - for what foretell future if we now can just scan it? Also with GU 25 exclusive mass Defense debuff - phantom flames now can Debuff only SINGLE TARGET ENEMY. Ohhh mahhhn my poor, poor psyonic girlie...:(:(:(Nice beautiful she going to become absolutely useless.
  11. VO1D Sentry New Player

Is this for real??? i need to see this in action.
    Did you guys notice any changes in mental?
  12. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I hope not but wouldn't know cause I haven't controlled since the update...changing a power after 2 years seems odd to me

it's one of the biggest draws to mental
    • Like x 1
  13. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

lol, man they really took the nerf hammer to HV in pvp, lol.
    i have to laugh, so pitiful. it went from an unique and integral part of my rotation to a complete waste of power.

sorta glad honestly, i needed that last little push to not feel bad about leaving mental after being 1 power since beta.
    well... thats enough. count me cooked.

ps- if that rumor about PF is true, SMFH.:(
  14. Rebelyon New Player

It seems like small nerfs are happening across Light and Mental... to make way for Quantum?

I fear for Gadgets, the last untouched bastion of controlling powerset.
  15. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

yeah, gadgets is on deck for the nerf hammer for sure.
  16. bijieboog New Player

I ran through the challenges today and noticed something didn't seem quite right. The mobs all seemed marginally more difficult despite obtaining a new piece of gear. I always run solo stuff as a controller and my loadout is usually terror tendrils, menace, phantom flames, tk shield, grandeur, and convalesce. Why would there be a difference if the only thing i did was add a piece of armor that advanced my cr up to 68?

I decided to browse the forums and investigate only to see something about phantom flames debuffs one enemy after update 25. I went and tested it on the sparring dummies and sure enough it only debuffed the targeted dummy. Needless to say I'm thoroughly bummed out by this.

Anybody know of any fun controller loadouts for solo missions since phantom flames will have to work it's way back into my good graces? :(
  17. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I usually run: Tendrils - Thought Bubble - Resonance - Mass Terror - Grandeur/Pyro - Menace

Youre looking for fun? Nothing is more fun than encasing a group of ads with TB then blowing them to hell with resonance
    • Like x 1
  18. bijieboog New Player

Thanks I'll definitely give it shot. If nothing else it should be fun to see how I fare without my defensive safety net I usually run with. I have 70 skill points and I usually focus on dom because of my shield. Should I focus on something else with this loadout?
  19. Rebelyon New Player

I generally find that increasing dom for shields not as useful as compared to having additional might or prec to do damage as a controller. I have literally been out-lasted by adds who died just as I died at the same time. Think its better to burn them down fast :)
    • Like x 1
  20. bijieboog New Player

Oh cool, I'll have to try that out. How about weapons, I usually use hand blasters but i have a few others I have obtained from the tier 3 alerts. I've noticed martial arts and one handed will melt enemies noticeably faster. I saw something about melee weapons get some sort of buff and I'm assuming that's the difference even though i melee with my hand blasters so I'm not sure. Would martial arts and one handed be more conducive to an offensive loadout than my hand blasters?