Update on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Update on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

We know everyone has been looking forward to the release of DCUO on the latest generation of consoles. Unfortunately, as we approach the finish line, we realize there is still more to be done to ensure that we deliver the smoothest launch possible.

In order to do so, we now plan to launch DCUO on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X early in Q1 2024.

Until then, we have so many exciting events ahead of us – including the Winter event (on now) and DCUO’s 13th anniversary celebration coming up on January 11, 2024! Thank you for your understanding and patience, and we look forward to seeing everyone on the latest consoles next year.
    • Like x 13
  2. Stranger Well-Known Player

Thanks for the information! I wouldn't count these 2 events as many nor exciting, but thanks tho.
    • Like x 10
  3. Ghostknight Well-Known Player

I was part of a team that sometimes ran into difficult situations that we had to deal with the best we could. You can only work with what you are given and make the best of it. I wish the EG7 would give you Devs more to work with.

Peace and DCUO Forever
    • Like x 2
  4. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Thanks for the heads up, please take your time, always remember that quality is better then quantity
    • Like x 3
  5. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

Man they must be revamping everything for it to be taking this much time it better not just be an upgrade or all hells gonna break loose. This game needs more then an upgrade it's way too casual and dead after an eps drops just a few weeks later. It needs a pvp mode not just pve and it needs stats matters it needs alot more developers to speed things up. 200+ developers is a must to handle this games balance issues. Besides all that I'm truly looking forward to what they have done with the massive amount of time this has taken them to pull off
    • Like x 4
  6. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

They don't need eg7s help at all they make alot of money that's how they are able to be an independently ran company. all the other games eg7 has don't make anywhere close to how much dcuo makes. the only problem dcuo has isn't money it makes its keeping players active which is the worst game for keeping players active. most likely cuz it doesn't have a pvp mode anyone enjoys alot don't even enjoy the pve mode
    • Like x 1
  7. Ghostknight Well-Known Player

EG7 is not putting most of the revenue from DCUO back into the game. This limits the Devs on what they can do for improving the game or even hiring more Devs. If the revenue made from DCUO was put back into the game, it could make the some changes needed to keep and attract new players. Maybe you feel a lot of ppls don't enjoy the game, but I do and a lot of the ppls I play with do. That being said, I am not expecting any miracle from the Playstation/Xbox update. I am hoping that James Gunn looks at the IP license for DCUO when he starts delving into the game side of the DCU. Right now, I believe this is really our only chance for a massive upgrade/change to the game.

Peace and DCUO Forever
    • Like x 3
  8. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

• Like x 2
  9. Red Wáve Well-Known Player

It is not an upgrade.

It is a native ps5 client, so we no longer have to use the ps4 client on our ps5 systems, with all the bugs that comes along with that.

And whatever equivalent for Xbox.
    • Like x 4
  10. Eve YouTuber

:(
    • Like x 2
  11. Limey Committed Player

You're only half right. Plenty of revenue is being put back into the game, it's the profit margin that's being siphoned off to fund other games. Basically the same business model every offline game uses - produce game, break even, all profits make investors happy and ultimately fund corporate bonuses, but also development of the next big game that'll fund corporate bonuses.

Chances of DC Comics getting involved moreso than they are now in terms of financial involvement is highly unlikely(this of DC like a really old, beat down car - it runs well, and fans of it really love it, but it's legally it's considered totalled. Modernizing would cost more than the game is worth in resources/salary/worker hours), but I would not be surprised if we see a small advertising campaign when the next-gen clients launch.

I still think one of the biggest issues is that the game doesn't teach players the difference of solo play style from group play style, so how to play the game well is effectively tribal knowledge for new players and without coaching, 1-2 queues not going well or messages from the dime a dozen rude players makes it super easy for new players to be alienated, and not play for more than a few weeks.

There's a lot of things wrong with the game, but realistically, people are blowing the whole "we're using Daybreak MMOs to fund other games" statement way out of proportion. Especially for a game that, at one point, unified marks but made it so marks only drop from your current CR range of content, when the player base was dwindling, making a void where 70% of content was barely run and pve queues could take hours for a 4 person alert because the majority of toons were either less than CR100 or were current endgame CR range, so anything in the middle was a void of wasted time and game.

Funding is an issue, but creative direction is also a much larger issue.
    • Like x 2
  12. Hraesvelg Always Right

If it helps, there are plenty of us that don't care at all about a native client for consoles, so this impacts me exactly zero. Have a good holiday!
    • Like x 5
  13. Jcal Dedicated Player

Incredibly disappointing news. I mean, after we finally got a vague idea of when these two versions were to release, we now get a delay with yet another vague release window. Sigh, I don't know what else to say.
    • Like x 1
  14. Irvynnge Loyal Player

ha! that's a virtual fist bump right there, my man! testify! happy jinglebobs!
    • Like x 2
  15. Aiden_Warren Well-Known Player

Can we get just 1 screenshot of something devs been working on that's improved anything anywhere? Just 1 screenshot.
    • Like x 7
  16. Aiden_Warren Well-Known Player

Likely hee and few ppl got the most positive way of this game as to there is more to life than games.
    Devs made many improvements on the years and this doesn't impact us, I'm focused on improving myself in my life then let a game make a impact on it.
    • Like x 2
  17. C3alix Committed Player

History has shown whenever they had to meet deadlines, **** wasn't friendly around here.

lol you guys remember the PS4 launch that made our controllers look like a rave party?
  18. Canadian Justice Committed Player

I am outraged! And wanted to feel justified in my outrage so I went out and bought a PS5. Then I remembered that I can play pretty much anything on PC and that outraged me more.

But in all seriousness. Meh. If that's the biggest problem of the day, I'd call it a pretty dang good day.
    • Like x 2
  19. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

You might not think it's an upgrade but it better well should be after it taking them well over 4 years to do. so yea its totally gonna be an upgrade and if it's just a client patch so many people will protest. They been at this for so many years now it's gonna be a total shock to everyone if it's not an upgrade at this point upgrade/revamp
  20. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

Oops im confused, what would we see in the screenshot? I thought this wasn’t a graphics update just fps