DCUO Development Update - January 2023

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Hraesvelg Always Right

I've always enjoyed C.S. Lewis' formulation of the idea. (I'm an adult and I'd pay decent money for the Snoopy dance emote from the Christmas event, for the record)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis
    • Like x 6
  2. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

You have no point once you resorted to insults.
  3. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I'm not as pessimistic as some, this roadmap has more of a placeholder, than an obituary feel. They're finding their footing right now, but they're still on the path. Now that I've beaten that metaphor into the ground, let's move on.

Staffing issues, at DI and other studios is a real problem. Just look at the number of games being delayed. Studios are also learning the consequences of over promising and not delivering. To be clear, I would have liked to have seen more in this update, but it's also not the end

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  4. Bathroom Dad Active Player

I condone your optimism, but this game has been around for 12 years. It’s build on an engine that’s meant for a system that’s 2 removed. They don’t get the benefit of the doubt for getting their footing for a year.

I sympathize with them for the staffing loss, but they are a midrange game developer, so they should be prepared for people to move up in their career from a company like this. That’s just corporate life.

There are so many things that need to be improved in this game to be relevant. And the fact they decided to highlight emotes is embarrassing. Literally no one was pleased with that announcement other than the simps on the forums.
    • Like x 3
  5. Tolly Committed Player

You are always trying to sell the game as a super good star if it shines by the universe it exploits, they clearly do not shine by the side of their development and the negligence of the developers. Over the years, I've seen an incredible number of players with whom I played stop the game, but these players stopped the game because of many choices made by the developers, some have expressed their reason, for some, the studio is incompetent to maintain this game, the artifacts have killed the game, yet for others, Daybreak is that money, money, Artifact will surely have been one of the most devastating additions, since they left on another game or simply stopped the video game because of this kind of image and those who continued on another game are towers on this new game, so at the end of the moment instead of making believe in one thing for DCUOrty to make believe that things are good while many players have seen the reality on the studio. In the last few years on DCUO I have never seen so many leagues die and the ones that are created are not as populated and the players are not as involved in DCUO as they were in the first years of the game that I have known...

The Eu server is losing an incredible number of players and the new ones who arrive are not motivated to play the game because of the artifacts and the SP, because for them the first thought is "I'll never manage to catch up...". The old ones are not motivated anymore to come back in the game and they don't help for the SP, because they have the desire to repeat the feats X times and especially to do difficult or long faeat again.

So you may have your vision of the game, but believe it or not, there is another vision of the game too!
    • Like x 3
  6. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

Dcuo has peaked, not saying its dying but the graph is definitely on the decline rather then rise.

Excited to finally get a black dlc though with the Dakota city dlc.. hope we’ll see icon, hate for the game to go out without him getting some love.
    • Like x 2
  7. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

Literally caught up in 3 months but ok...

Aside from that, i have the opposite view. Artifacts helped the game, it helped diversify damage, roles and playstyles. The only issue was adding EXP to the market place. Im all for adding metal detectors to the market but pure exp is a no go for me. It earns them a boat load of money each time they do an event and sale so why would they change it? people are willing to buy it.

New players see a crap ton of content and see big numbers but are scared to do anything because to them, DCUO is their first or early MMORPG experience. Grinding skill points and long progression such as artifacts are tame compared to the MMORPGs ive played. If you wanna see a grind, Go look at "Black Desert Online". From level 1 you grind. You are not relevant in pvp until you have grinded at least 1k+ hours in the game. You are not relevant to higher end spots without knowing, learning and expanding on your character.
    • Like x 1
  8. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

This!
    Over the years, I've seen countless people leave the game for lots of reasons, I left because crafting turned the game into a chore. I literally had a weekly checklist of mats and plans I had to collect. Coming back, that's changed enough that it doesn't bother me. Essentially collecting crafting mats is done within instances. I've seen people quit because of nerfs made in an update, all sorts of reasons that were important to them and very few other people. I've seen some people leave because of the clamp, but I've seen just as many come back.
    • Like x 1
  9. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

So you personally know every single player on all the servers? Your circle of friends is not an indication of the state of the game as a whole. Guess what? I’ve had players I knew in the game leave too. Does prove anything. I’ve also met new players that have started playing recently too. You think arts are an issue in the game? Most MMOs have a similar feature. Heck, some are far worse.

Yes I have thoughts in the game. However I’m the delusional enough to believe that my own thoughts are the only ones in the game. Unlike you I can separate how I feel from actual facts. Facts you try to ignore because you believe how you feel is how the majority feel. You make claims that new players don’t play because they see arts and sp so they leave.. Prove it. Where your proof? Where did you get this information from? Where’s the source information? You can make all the baseless claims but that’s just your opinion.
    • Like x 1
  10. Emoney Dedicated Player

This is quite off topic....

But I'm one for using Nth as I get it. What's the point of having arts if they sit at a low level waiting for one time, maybe 2 times a year. I enjoy progression even if it's only a few levels a week. And I'd rather get to use a level 80, 120, 160, 200 perk now, than sit on a 79 for a year. Or in the eyes of PUG, they're judging me the entire year for that level 79, and possibly kicking me over that judgement.

I do however grab the detectors every week and sit on those until its double nth or double experience.

I dont think you can say someone like me is being inefficient if my goal is to use the artifacts as soon as I can. If you can wait once or twice a year, awesome. But, I also dont think you are without a single artifact at 160+, my guess is you can wait because you already have the most important artifacts leveled.
    • Like x 3
  11. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

No one tells you to save. Use as you please. Those who wish to be efficient dont mind waiting if they know they are gonna get more soon. Its a time investment thing. I have
    3,309,580 artifact exp saved up. I have played since october on a new account from a 3-4 year break. I have currently 2 120s, 3 80s and bottle city soda. Im fine with waiting.

You can use your nth metal and after hitting a new milestone turn and say "Hey, maybe i dont need to upgrade past 120 yet, or 80 (trans card example). I will wait and save up my exp. Maybe i will use it before, who knows"

• Like x 1
  12. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I thought people complained about the spam bounties phases in Wonderverse and Legion? Guess we're getting Dakota City spam for hours of farming, yay? Also those emotes will hopefully be fire for the wait we're putting up with to get them. Kinda sucks instead of some better updates like cross faction and graphics upscaling we're getting... new emotes we'll probably only get from capsules. Yay again? 2023 is already pretty underwhelming already not gonna lie. I was hoping post-pandemic and DI company turnover we'd get more exciting news but unfortunately just disappointed with this one raid phase spamming episode. :(
  13. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

It's definitely disappointing for a regular DCUO player like myself. I was hoping for more. Out of the gate this January it's not promising to be a very great year. I'm going to be honest here but for a four year subscriber if 2023 isn't surprisingly awesome I don't think I'm around for 2024. Just saying
    • Like x 1
  14. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

It's just giving me this "mobile game" sense of feel where last year is the same as this year and next year will be the same as last. At some point we all go "why are we playing anymore? And eventually we don't.
    • Like x 2
  15. Emoney Dedicated Player

That's it though, Diety was saying its inefficient and in other words the wrong approach.

To me, it's a wash in the perspective of time. I can level everyday and get to 160 in a few months. Therefore using all the perks up to 160. On the flipside, the person who waits is not using a single perk for over six months to a year. Sure when the time comes that side can get to 180 instead of my 160, but they spent the past six months to a year basically without an artifact.

I'd rather use the progression throughout the year.

It's a personal choice imo, not a wrong choice like he implied.
    • Like x 5
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

Just use this gif from now on…it’ll save you time:

[IMG]
  17. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

If they wanted to make money from emotes like Fortnite they should've done it years ago. Doing it now is pretty cringe. This is like how we wanted new skins and they gave us ones in very gambling lootboxes. It feels more like a bad joke than an update we all were hoping for.
    • Like x 4
  18. Plowed In Loyal Player

They teased Rocket…thinking they’ll probably either have Icon here or hold him for a follow up DLC.
  19. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

There was so much wrong with Diety's post/views...

Also... When saying that artifacts are designed to make money:
    It's not the Nth metal that's the real focus as far as money goes...
    It's the catalysts and seals that usually wind up costing you some MC.
    Waiting til double Nth bonus weeks doesn't spare you from that... It just guarantees that you'll need them all at once during that specific week.
    • Like x 1
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Oh? You sure about that? https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ment-update-january-2023.326388/#post-4558467
    • Like x 2