I love DCUO so can you remove the stat clamp already?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by llllDeathstroke, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

What the what? No...they communicate, but just like with GOM 2nd boss, if you aren't the tank, you don't really learn anything. If you aren't running the suit or putting in the canisters (this is normally 2 people...3 even), you aren't learning anything. And I'd guess the people organizing the run would be doing those things so they don't need to re-explain them every time. I know if I were spamming them...which I wouldn't...I'd be in the suit and I'd have 1 guy running the canisters who I'm on mic with. The rest of them? Yeah...kill some brine hulks and fish men....learn a lot there. I'm sure every one of them will do fine as a commander the next time they land in an Omni SS run...just like they do 'fine' in Omni GOM runs.:rolleyes: And GOM is waaaay easier.
  2. Proxystar #Perception

What do you mean, if they aren't the tank they don't learn anything? That's such a ridiculously absurd premise it borders on laughable... What do you think they're actually looking at? They can clearly see the tank splitting the Phoenix, they then proceed to burn it down.

You keep ignoring this point, but what you're saying is the exact opposite of the science. To repeat again visual learning is the most dominant form of learning on the planet, what do you think is happening in the instance, nothing obviously, you continue to assert, incorrectly, that multiple participants in raids are blindly looking on like robotic brain-dead sloth's when that's clearly not the case, at all.

If people run the content they'll learn, if they went in to spindrift, the group would communicate along the lines of "who knows how to do the puzzles, yes, no", naturally leading to a "how do you do the puzzle?" "it then gets briefly explained and people then know for the future".. Not all groups are just going to go "lol, noob, you stay out of the puzzle room, clown".

I don't think you give people nearly enough credit, you also seem to entirely dismiss learning by Osmosis as even being a thing, it's actually getting just a little ridiculous mate ;)
  3. Amoxin Well-Known Player

Yes, the forum should be about open discussion, and I apologize if I misinterpreted your intent, but it did read as patronizing to me.

And my previous point still stands, as soon as the reward is taken away, people won't want to run it anymore and that puts newer players back against the brick wall. In an ideal world, yes, other people will have learned how to complete the raid, but then you are going to get right back to the situation where the player base no longer wants to help anymore because there is nothing in it for them.

Yes, ultimately the player base is a large (if not the largest) contributor to the overall problem, but then how is the problem fixed? Yes, there are players who do help. Yes, there are guilds out there that do help. But my experience is that the percentage of people willing to help, especially on older content that can be a lot more difficult, is a significantly smaller percentage of the overall population.

As far as GOM goes, I wouldn't know as I've never ran it. I've not completed many raids honestly, because I don't have the time to do them usually, especially if they start to fall apart. I try to get in a raid through Omnibus when I have time and see how it goes. Most of the time it's just a chaotic mess that somehow manages to work out. Rarely does it seem organized, but sometimes it does surprise like the other night when I got put in CoU, which I had never done. Almost no instructions were given other than the on screen ones and 'don't fall off', but it went surprisingly well. So it's not always a disaster, and sometimes Omnibus works, but my experience is that it is rarely organized and it's just a matter of trying to rally people back in and hoping everyone can survive long enough.
    • Like x 3
  4. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

That chaotic mess is what makes pugging fun. You never know what kind of horror show you're walking into. I don't get why people seem to be so opposed to it for most content. Its a snooze fest when everyone knows exactly what to do and is performing like a well designed robot that was built for the task.
    • Like x 1
  5. Proxystar #Perception

No problem :)

I think ideally you'd have a reward that doesn't go away and keeps the focus on that content more continually, that being said spotlights on content can help, if you periodically reward more marks because of a spotlight it helps because it thrusts people in to that content to learn even if its just for a period of time, those people that have then learned go back in later having done so hopefully spreading what they have learned. In addition of course you run the spotlights more frequently, there could even be a few spotlights each week, instead of just the one.

The reason the one in GOM works so well of course is because it provides a reward that players chase, but also a reward players sell, for a lot. the phoenix plus the lightning bolt back style are feats + worth money to sell, so its farmed continually meaning the mechanics are virtually forcibly learned.

Spindrift could work in a similar manner as well simply by putting something like a Tier 2 and Tier 3 Morgwar pet as a drop on the last boss, they even already have the assets for this in game as there's a base totem for it. :) Add that to Spindrift and watch everyone run it with the subsequent result being a vast improvement in players who start to understand the mechanics in that instance ;)
    • Like x 2
  6. Amoxin Well-Known Player

Oh, I don't mind a chaotic mess once in a while. I've been in some that were fun and we were able to figure things out, like Security Breach where no one knew exactly what to do, but we got it done and it was enjoyable for everyone I think. Then you have the chaotic mess where it is definitely not fun and frustrating to the point of literally giving up, Dawnbreaker in Metal Part ii, where it's over before it even starts and no one knows what to do because there is literally no time to learn anything.

Yes, I agree that sometimes it gets really boring, especially if it's an event that you've done multiple times. But sometimes I don't mind those because I just want to get my omni box and get it done.
  7. Amoxin Well-Known Player

I'm fine with that idea. Have more spotlight options with additional rewards. That way maybe some people will learn how to do the raid and carry that knowledge over to when it is no longer featured. But maybe it won't. Maybe if they were to make it a regular cycle where one episode was featured every other week or something it would help reinforce that and then because it is a regular cycle, it would allow more players the opportunity to learn those events. I think it could even help that if during those weeks they made the event version active maybe even a pre-requisite and have on screen instructions, but not any special rewards for the event version, you would still have to do Normal or Elite for those. That way, people could at least see what the event is supposed to look like in a slightly less stressful environment and then move up to normal. Because, as you say, people are visual learners, you're not learning anything if you get immediately KO'd on a fight and sit there unconscious because no one has the time to rally you back in (depending on the event of course).
    • Like x 1
  8. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

I have some advice take it or leave it.
    Click on the profile of the individual arguing with you. Look over their recent activity and postings. I find doing this saves a mountain of time. When I see they argue with EVERYONE that dares not agree with them there is no point in responding. They either get the thread shut down or, as has happened yet again, hijack the thread. Trust me when I tell you we are skipping right past the, lets call them "usual suspects" and reading every post but theirs.

In short hit the ignore button on them and the rest of us will still see your posts (most of us have already ignored the "usual suspects" long ago. I'll leave with some sage wisdom from my grandmother; "You don't pay a spoiled screaming child no mind. You switch their behind and put them in the corner. " The ignore button is switch and corner.

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

"People learn by visual queues" like skulls right? So how come we see so many that don't realize to block on them? Sorry dude, if it were that easy, people wouldn't be wiping at least 1 time per run in most TSW queue in groups... or running from the green arrows. You act like if a mechanic is explained 1 time, people somehow become masters of it? Well if that's the case, the last year should have fixed any amount of 'damage' done from the pre-clamp. And I can tell you there are still people out there who don't know what they are doing. I guess they could ALL be 1st timers in all those pieces of content where they don't know what to do, but not sure how long you can milk that excuse. We are either stacking up LOTS of new people...or LOTS of people aren't learning that well. Explain the fact that even after ALL those GOM bolt runs, half the group will STILL get turned to stone, stand in fire or run around the room when the lightning chain is formed. Thank god they fixed that part at least, so you only really need 4 to get the job done.

And 90% of the time I ask 'does everyone know what to do here' there is NO answer...or the answer is the fight starts. Sorry, but I'm not standing there to try and explain things if you are too preoccupied to listen. Or I'll put it in group chat 1 time....Otherwise I'll do it myself. Good lord, look at the DM card game...how many 100s of times have I had to put in 'don't touch the cards if you don't know the game'...or 'does everyone know the game'...with again...most of the time, no answer or cards just start popping up wrong.

No...I'm not giving most of our players any credit. Credit is earned...not given. Go ask your bank. If you are an unknown quantity credit wise, they do NOT take a risk on giving you jack squat.
    • Like x 2
  10. The Con Dedicated Player

Great.

You've just started another 3-page debate on the banking system and the definition of the word "loan".

Hope your happy.

:oops:
    • Like x 4
  11. Big-Daddy_Serius New Player

I like the Stat clamp but I was wondering if they can add a option to run content in like easy mode. Make it have a difficulty option like event for easy and normal for the Stat clamp and of course for the raids that has it. But gi e the players the option
    • Like x 1
  12. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I believe the decision to do what you recommend was probably considered but ultimately decided against out of fear of fragmenting the pool of available players for Omni to take advantage of to fill instances.

I do not know if there is a large enough pool of players to now draw upon for such an option to be implemented, but even so, that would then take additional time / resources (including personnel) to be diverted from other projects.

The Company now has a little over 12 months of data to analyze so perhaps they will study it and come to some conclusions about ways to improve the Omni / EEG experience for everyone.
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I go by a "how it feels" method when it comes to testing. But I also knew that with the clamp coming in, things would NOT be like they were before and going through older content wasn't going to be something I could sleepwalk through. So beyond seeing how it felt, I at least kept track of the amount of time it'd take to run a piece of content. And during testing I noticed that if adjustments on NPCs were made to make them stronger, my run time would go up a bit, and vice versa.

Since testing, I've kept an eye on the time in instanced content runs (not gonna stopwatch every open world run LOL) and as I've gotten more gear and increased things like Artifacts (like you I still haven't dabbled in Allies) my run times keep decreasing. And comparing those runs to when I was first running the content, it's getting easier after every move up the CR ladder and with every increase of SP or Artifact/Augment levels.

If players were being punished via the clamp, I think we'd be seeing longer run times in older content that players know well, as well as a lot of complaints about dropping like a stone in content that was able to be run just fine when it was new or a player was at the CR of the content.

Right now I can run the Mannheim Theater instance in about 2 minutes with no worries about getting dropped by a zombie, much less Faust, all on characters that are far from being top of the line/endgame characters. If the clamp was a punishment I'd likely be facing 5 minute run times at the least with a constant dread about getting downed by one of the NPCs in there, and that's simply not the case.

I think some re-thinking needs to be done about what makes a character feel super, because it seems like a lot of folks are still using the unclamped version of the game as their baseline and I have serious doubts we'll be going back to that as the standard.
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can fully understand the frustration of having a mission in the journal that you want to clear out. It's what inspired me to try soloing Sub-Avatars in South Gotham back in the day. LOL

That being said, being the only person in an open world area doesn't mean you can or should be able to do whatever you want. It's not an instanced solo mission or anything like that, it's an instance open to every player who is able to enter it (either via CR or something as simple as instance population caps). As such, the wishes and gameplay experience of other players HAVE to be taken into account.

And as I mentioned in another post, it's probably about making the clamp application as equal and evenly distributed as possible. Leaving an open world area unclamped and then getting thrown into a clamped instance related to that open world will at the very least cause some whiplash with players.
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

That's why I didn't use 'loan'. But I'm sure I misused 'Jack Squat' somehow....you know....cause of 'agenda' and stuff.
    • Like x 4
  16. Irvynnge Loyal Player

are we there yet?
  17. The Con Dedicated Player

Yeah... I was gonna cancel my sub this year... but, I didn't take my financial info off the Playstation in time.. so they just got me again for the next year.

I used to spend a not-so-small fortune on this game... but, other than membership (which isn't really worth the price).. I refuse to spend another cent on this game.

It's a shame... I really like this game. There is nothing really like it.... or used to be... :oops:
    • Like x 2
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Hey! Hey! Hey! Keep that up and I'm gonna pull this thread over RIGHT NOW and take us all straight home! You got that? :mad:

:D
    • Like x 4
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I've always gone in the minute after the sub is renewed (I subbed annually), and pulled the re-occuring off. Worst case, I'd have a day where I'd be 'premium' which generally lasted all of 5 or 10 min. I'm not a fan of auto payments for the very reason you just pointed out. You can miss your opportunity to 'opt out'.
  20. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Perhaps, but you also inadvertently basically told him to "shut up and enjoy what you get". Just as bad as telling them to like the clamp, when they clearly do not. Asking for statistics on someone's opinion is literally arguing to argue, because it is completely pointless, no matter how many ways you try to swing it.
    • Like x 5